Dealers - who are the most helpful

B25Modelman

Buying a new gun can be a little frustrating to say the least.

Viewing the online sellers, a gun advertised as new may not mean just in from the importer or factory. It can mean 1, 2, 3 or more years old but not yet sold and we don't know if it's been test/trial fired or for that matter how many times. Their pictures, in most cases, are very poor and of limited quantity.

S'why when I once ordered a new car I specified certain options that could only be installed on the production line. I did not want a vehicle that had been cleared from a storage field somewhere. We do not have that luxury with the mainstream gun market. In most cases if there's a model you want you have to have what they have in stock, and either travel to see it/them or request as many pictures as possible from the seller. The latter at times somewhat frustrating to say the least.

If you want anything out of the ordinary, it can be ordered in but then you get what arrives which might not be to your expectations. Most dealers will not order it on the 'I might buy it or then might not' basis. Their hands are tied by the importers.

So my question is which online dealers in the UK have you found most flexible/helpful with selling, who will bend over backwards to supply as much info as they can before a customer commits. Even if that means they have to get their supplier (the importer) to stump up pictures beforehand.

I ask because I have my mind on two guns and while the importer has been most helpful I cannot get to view what I want to buy.

Countryman of Derby are most bostin,very helpful ,friendly ,informative ,sensible prices and have a Huge range of rifles,ammo,and bitsa bobs.For reloading,wearing and boys toys.Melbourne Tackle n Gun are very helpful too ,but on a much smaller scale less stock, smaller shop but glad to help.Garlands have been great ,been going there on off 20 years ,but never bought a firearm just ammo n spares ,again though helpful and if he hasnt got it will get it in Atb

Mark and team at Kirklees in Huddersfield get my vote - always time for a bit of a chat and happy to show you options or just something out the box if you want a nosey.

Everything, but especially ammunition, is keenly priced and whilst the shop is small, they must have a tardis of a cellar as they bring loads up from there.

They also aim to give honest descriptions of the condition of the large range of pre-owned firearms in stock which I find accurate so you don't end up with a wasted journey.

Gilsan Sports Richmond, dealt with Simon for near 25 years. They usually carry some very nice stock or will do all they can to get what you want.

Looking at this thread just shows how many good Dealers there are out there.

Malmo guns are excellent to deal with in person or over the phone.

Mid Wales shooting ground also is a firm favourite of mine.

J.F.Neville guns have helped me out.

Lastly but I've never bought anything of them are West Midlands shooting ground, as they have excellent customer service when I'm there browsing in the gun room.