A few pigeons with the shotkam

I was looking at one of these cameras the other day where did you get it from as could only see them in America? Also where they in slow, good to some misses as well not just the hits!

I imported it from america direct from Shotkam, I agree I see to many videos edited only showing the hits.. its good to see a few bloopers

Like the red dot gives new guys and **** shots like me an idea off were

Exactly ... when you think your on them and you are ! and they still don't stop lol

I enjoyed that, wouldn't mind seeing the same footage at normal speed!

I am planing on pairing with a go pro head cam so dual views

I liked the way you were looking for the squirrel after every pigeon. :lol:

Further editing required lol

That was very informative,,would love to see more.

No problem, glad you enjoyed it,, i plan on uploading a few more clips soon

A slow version of bird no4 would be interesting as shot and pigeon both appeared to be in same plane of focus at point of impact.

It really does highlight where you are shooting though.

If the price would just come down to reasonable (which it is sure to do either on its own or once competition is introduced), I can see a lot of people using these.

No doubt about it these are the best way to get a beginner an idea of "how much lead" also great the way in one short video we see different techniques for different birds, but the price of these things is truly shocking, at £200 I think they would sell 10x the amount

A slow version of bird no4 would be interesting as shot and pigeon both appeared to be in same plane of focus at point of impact.

It really does highlight where you are shooting though.

If the price would just come down to reasonable (which it is sure to do either on its own or once competition is introduced), I can see a lot of people using these.

It's amazing when I watch the footage back as in many shots you would say that's got to be a downed bird and it's not, I was using a tight choke and at some of the distances they were probably to close resulting in me shooting in front albeit marginally it's enough to miss....

Agree on the price. Slightly ridiculous!

Looks a good piece of kit though and definitely to look out for.

It does work out quite expensive as you purchase and then there is the shipping cost, it works out about twice the price of the top spec go pro but in all honesty it's so worth it instantly shows what your doing wrong, since these clips I have change cartridges and chokes and the birds per shots has increased...

No doubt about it these are the best way to get a beginner an idea of "how much lead" also great the way in one short video we see different techniques for different birds, but the price of these things is truly shocking, at £200 I think they would sell 10x the amount

Agreed!

An interesting bit of film. Does the gun fit ok? You seemed to be way off on some of those shots.

Motty thanks and no, I feel like the gun is short and have been trying to use it with an extension pad, I am new to a semi, and the weight of the gun is also making a difference to my shooting but I am trying to stick with it ready for the duck season ..

Thats a different look at a shooting video and I enjoyed it, more please. :good:

I have a gun coach friend in the US who has a shotkam fitted to two of the guns he uses for training, his don't have the red dot, they have a small cross.

I prefer the look of the red dot.

Thanks, it has been a fantastic aid and seeing what you miss is what it's all about, it's great to see what you hit but the misses teach you much more that why I left a few in ...trust me there's a lot more lol

With the shotkam you can choose what recticle you want a cross, red dot or circle, it's totally adaptable to rifle as well as shotgun, I will install it on a few other guns and rifles to show some rabbits and foxes as well as more pigeons and ducks and geese when the season starts.

Guest stevo

I can sort of see a benifit when using while shooting trap or skeet birds as your more aware of the distance your shooting your target. But I have to admit I'm struggling to see where it would be a help on sporting targets or in the field. As your shotkam records In X4 magnification.

I can sort of see a benifit when using while shooting trap or skeet birds as your more aware of the distance your shooting your target. But I have to admit I'm struggling to see where it would be a help on sporting targets or in the field. As your shotkam records In X4 magnification.

Have to say I agree Stevo, could be very useful on a regimented discipline such as skeet / trap where targets are always thrown the same way.

With pigeons especially you'll never get the chance to keep trying the same shot again and again till you get it right so don't see it as a particularly effective way of training yourself really, although it's a nice fun and different way of recording footage!

Could be helpful to a beginner no doubt just getting an idea of roughly where to shoot/sight pictures on the various angles/targets (going away/quartering/loopers/incomers).

I think as a training aid it helps you in all disciplines, whilst you cannot guarantee the same shot in the field you know the shot you have taken, you can also look at it straight away vis your smart phone or tablet to see why you missed if you missed or indeed why you hit the target. the magnification itself does no pose a problem for me as it does not alter the lead just brings it in for clear view but not enough to distort the science of shooting with a shotgun, after all you have a pattern... if your missing as I did it was clear the birds were to close for the chokes I had in the gun, this meant that i was over leading had the chokes been open theres more likely a chance them pigeons would have been in the bag...

Nice Vid , can you change the battery ? how long does the battery last? and does it have a remote or just a on off button? cheers .sorry for all the questions.

Thanks, you return to shotkam for battery replacement, will last around 3 years. you turn it on in the morning and leave it it then records and only stores a few seconds before the shot and a few after.. all times and reticle are customisable

Have to say I agree Stevo, could be very useful on a regimented discipline such as skeet / trap where targets are always thrown the same way.

With pigeons especially you'll never get the chance to keep trying the same shot again and again till you get it right so don't see it as a particularly effective way of training yourself really, although it's a nice fun and different way of recording footage!

Could be helpful to a beginner no doubt just getting an idea of roughly where to shoot/sight pictures on the various angles/targets (going away/quartering/loopers/incomers).

Thanks Dave, as above I agree not so good as a training aid in the field as it is with skeet etc however as explained it shows what you have done wrong, or right.. and from there you can correct it, its great to see exactly where you posted the gun and why you missed... and its even better when you see birds folding :-)

Thanks Belly

I think as a training aid it helps you in all disciplines, whilst you cannot guarantee the same shot in the field you know the shot you have taken, you can also look at it straight away vis your smart phone or tablet to see why you missed if you missed or indeed why you hit the target. the magnification itself does no pose a problem for me as it does not alter the lead just brings it in for clear view but not enough to distort the science of shooting with a shotgun, after all you have a pattern... if your missing as I did it was clear the birds were to close for the chokes I had in the gun, this meant that i was over leading had the chokes been open theres more likely a chance them pigeons would have been in the bag...

Thanks, you return to shotkam for battery replacement, will last around 3 years. you turn it on in the morning and leave it it then records and only stores a few seconds before the shot and a few after.. all times and reticle are customisable

Thanks Dave, as above I agree not so good as a training aid in the field as it is with skeet etc however as explained it shows what you have done wrong, or right.. and from there you can correct it, its great to see exactly where you posted the gun and why you missed... and its even better when you see birds folding :-)

Thanks Belly

I disagree with this. The pigeons were not too close for the chokes, you just weren't accurate enough. You have to be nearer to the target in the first place for chokes to make a difference.

I disagree with this. The pigeons were not too close for the chokes, you just weren't accurate enough. You have to be nearer to the target in the first place for chokes to make a difference.

Hi Motty,

if your shooting full choke and the birds are decoying 25 yards out then they turn and come towards you ... they are "too close for the choke" of course you could shoot the pigeons if you were accurate enough but as I am sure you know the chokes in shotguns are used for shooting a pattern at a range and creating a shot string ... if the shot has not had chance to open up its because it was "too close" a mistake using that choke on my behalf .. however in the past shooting at this place was mostly taken over distance..

The good thing with the shotkam is that it identified that to me and as i have said further I've opened up the chokes and the number of birds per shots has increased, so either over night i have got a better shot or opening of the chokes has helped ...

either way doesn't matter I'm getting more pigeons :good:

Terry

I think you may have misunderstood what I said. You may well kill more birds now you have opened your chokes up. The shots I was talking about you missing would still have been missed with an open choke - the shot would not have spread wide enough with ANY choke.

Hi Motty,

if your shooting full choke and the birds are decoying 25 yards out then they turn and come towards you ... they are "too close for the choke" of course you could shoot the pigeons if you were accurate enough but as I am sure you know the chokes in shotguns are used for shooting a pattern at a range and creating a shot string ... if the shot has not had chance to open up its because it was "too close" a mistake using that choke on my behalf .. however in the past shooting at this place was mostly taken over distance..

The good thing with the shotkam is that it identified that to me and as i have said further I've opened up the chokes and the number of birds per shots has increased, so either over night i have got a better shot or opening of the chokes has helped ...

either way doesn't matter I'm getting more pigeons :good:

Terry