Owl decoy for crows

ShootingEgg

Afternoon all,

I and a friend have an owl decoy. Took it out yesterday and mounted it on a fence post about 50yrds from out pattern. Tge crows going over and into.the pattern took no notice of it what so ever.

Basically I have no clue on the best way to set it up to possibly get the desired effect from the owl decoy.

Ideas or known set ups welcome...

Total waste of time and money. The only way it 'may' work is to place the Owl decoy high in the branches looking down on a nesting area. I have a European and also small Owl decoy, neither of them proved any good.

+1, waste of time. Stick with the crow decoys as they actually work.

Interesting. I used a dead fox propped up on a fence once and the crows completely ignored it. Scottish and Welsh crows must have different tastes :lol:

Mostly for carrion and it was spot on for magpies too.

This was the set up using a skinned fox filled with expanding foam although in the pics its a few years old and seen better days but the old fella especially used to get good numbers using it.

mine1250_zps7220240b.jpg

mine1353_zps11bfcda9.jpg

Owl decoy waste of money.

I use crow decoys and a promos call

Add to pattern and never leave any sprawled out showing feet

but if you want large numbers use a ladder trap..however there is a downside using a ladder trap..its emptying one.its like the hitchcock film birds.they want to peck your face off and remove your eyes

Mostly for carrion and it was spot on for magpies too.

This was the set up using a skinned fox filled with expanding foam although in the pics its a few years old and seen better days but the old fella especially used to get good numbers using it.

mine1250_zps7220240b.jpg

mine1353_zps11bfcda9.jpg

Cheers mate, looks a lot better then my lame attempt.

interstingly my son used an old little owl decoy with a dead magpie next to it and the local magpies went mental....

I am firmly with you on this one, i have seen owls work very well indeed, its whats working for you.

I have used a large mirror for magpies and jackdaws to great effect, and was a total sceptic on this and the owl decoy untill i had it shown to me it worked.

I am firmly with you on this one, i have seen owls work very well indeed, its whats working for you.

I have used a large mirror for magpies and jackdaws to great effect, and was a total sceptic on this and the owl decoy untill i had it shown to me it worked.

Using a mirror or any reflective material to attract birds is, I believe, also illegal.

Using a mirror or any reflective material to attract birds is, I believe, also illegal.

Well i used to think so, but mechanical wing duck decoys are legal someting which i always thought was illegal to use a mechanical means , but vermin are diferent as i understand it, hense electronic calls ok for fox but not geese.

That is with reference to dazling scaring or destressing birds and animals not using a mirror as a decoy, I have used this to good efect in the 1970s, and read nothing on the 1981 or the 2001 acts and subsequent general licence amendments to see why its use today would be in any way shape or form unlawfull.

Peg a ferret out, on a cord have had crows come into it great, used a stuffed fox for years till it fell to pieces.

Forget the owl,

Using a live animal as "bait", I imagine would also be very much illegal. I'd dare to say unethical as well.

What is the purpose of this ? What if your ferret came to any harm ?

Using a live animal as "bait", I imagine would also be very much illegal. I'd dare to say unethical as well.

What is the purpose of this ? What if your ferret came to any harm ?

Have to agree with this, pegging down any animal to use as a lure is surely not something anyone should do.. With that thought process why dont i just wing a few crows and tie them down!!! Ridiculous idea!!

Bit off topic, but interesting perhaps.

An RAF base in Scotland acquired an eagle owl for the bird control unit. It was to be placed on a perch on the edge of the airfield which, hopefully, it would then be mobbed thus pulling the birds away from the aircraft operating areas. All was set up and the operator went back later to check all was well and found the owl on the ground. Putting it back on its perch, he toddled off only to return later to find it again on the ground. Scenario repeated several times. Call in the vet. Turned out the damned thing suffered from vertigo and was therefore useless. It was subsequently given the obvious name, Booboo, and adopted by one of the flying squadrons as their mascot.