Mould advice ?

Lloyd90

The Gf viewed a house today that were looking to rent, unfortunately I couldn't make it.

Apparently it's the best we have seen so far EXCEPT as its a bit of an older house there is mold on the wall way entrance porch, and then one wall which is the wall for both an upstairs and downstairs room had some on it but not too bad.

She said it looked like it had been repapered but looked like it was starting to come back.

Looking for advice really, if it's an easy fix might be worth a chance as the house is apparently huge and a lot nicer than we have seen. My instinct personally is feeling to avoid it though!

most mould is caused by poor air circulation. moisture sits on the walls ( usually behind furniture ) where there are cold bridges and mould grows. Sufficient mechanical and natural extraction will help. Wash the mould off, avoid drying clothes indoors, keep trickle vents open and make sure extractors in the bathroom and kitchen work. If it's a good house go for it.

Wash/wipe with bleach, doesn't cure the problem but kills the spores so it takes longer to come back. Most important thing though is get air around the place. as an aside are sure there is no damp coming through the wall that they have tried to tart up

Edited by tonker

It is difficult to tell from the OP description whether it is mould due to a circulation / condensation issues or by the ingress of water by rising damp / rain penetration for example. The former can be managed in ways described above. The latter needs to address the source of the damp.

Apparently after speaking to the estate agents the problem was the roof which has just been re-done recently and new guttering put it.

Decorators are coming next week to to-decorate the rooms and give them a clean and touch up. After this they have said we are welcome to view again which we have agreed :) hoping it's all been sorted in that case as it was a very nice house (with solid walls for a gun cabinet lol)

Apparently after speaking to the estate agents the problem was the roof which has just been re-done recently and new guttering put it.

Decorators are coming next week to to-decorate the rooms and give them a clean and touch up. After this they have said we are welcome to view again which we have agreed :) hoping it's all been sorted in that case as it was a very nice house (with solid walls for a gun cabinet lol)

Lloyd90....Off topic a bit but a question about moving house (address) I presume you had your gun cabinet and your gun cert registered at the address you are at now, so when you move do they need to come and recheck your gun cabinet?

Lloyd90....Off topic a bit but a question about moving house (address) I presume you had your gun cabinet and your gun cert registered at the address you are at now, so when you move do they need to come and recheck your gun cabinet?

My gun cabinet and licence are registered in Wales at my family home as I "lived at home" before going to university.

I've been in uni halls last 2 years which is temp accommodation, all in the while retaining my family home as my permanent address, which is where my cabinet and guns have stayed.

I have spoken to Bristol (Avon and Somerset Police) firearms licensing regarding moving or putting in a cabinet at the new address when I find one.

They have stated to speak to South Wales licensing once I find a new place. Even when I find a new place I will still have my family home so they have said they can leave my licence registered there or move it over if that is what South Wales advise to do. I think I may have to transfer it over as this is more of a permanent move than the uni halls.

Although as I always retain my family home, rather than someone moving and selling their original registered address it may be different for others.

Zinsser paint helps. It's an anti mould paint we have used in our house. Available on amazon.

I can vouch for this, they make one specifically for mould and it can be tinted, you'll still need better ventilation though, we had some problems when we moved to a fairly modern bungalow, they seem to seal them tighter than a tory's backside with only the trickle vents in the windows for ventilation, we bought a passive vent unit which sits in the loft and pumps air from the loft into the hall, then through the rest of the building, seems to work, that and some good quality paint seems to have done the trick.

Virtually all the Victorian era houses have condensation/damp issues. They were never built to be kept as warm as they are today. Or that people would take showers and have double glazed windows

Or dry washing on radiators and never open windows when cooking

Condensation is normaly a winter problem as the water laden air cant absorb any more so it forms on cold surfaces and areas of poor ventilation.

A dehumidifier will help take water out of the air.

Edited by harrycatcat1

We had a tank leak in the bungalow roof last year and the ceiling plaster developed black mould aftewards. We installed a dehumidifier to dry it out and I sprayed the ceilng with Dettox anti mould spray.

The mould had gone within a couple of hours and has not come back.

Nice white ceiling again which I didn't even have to repaint.