neww cci .22 rounds

Personally I think they are just a gimmick, my lr is just sub tool now if I want more speed I will use the hmr or wmr

Colin

Me to, not that I can get CCI subs or anything else that wont clag up a match chamber with excess lube.

A

Edited by Alycidon

A .17 round at subsonic would be an FAC air rifle a 17 grain bullet travelling at 920fps would be 30 foot pound.

As the range is so short compared to a .22lr there would be no market in the USA no market means they won't be made

As for the hyper .22 the standard rimfire cartridge is not big enough to take the charge required

Edited by psycho

Interesting a I would give them a try if I could get them.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but why is there not a .22 lr with something like the speed of a HMR or a 17 round that's sub sonic?

I've read this three times but still can't tell if you're joking or not. :)

They might be supersonic leaving the barrel, but they're probably sub sonic after about 20 feet!

So you get the loud crack of a hot round, but lose accuracy as the bullet comes back below the sound barrier...

I'll stick with the ordinary CCIs.

As an aside, does the copper mushroom much (when compared to a non HP lead round)?

Personally I think they are just a gimmick, my lr is just sub tool now if I want more speed I will use the hmr or wmr

Colin

+1.

I saw the fps first, and thought, they sound pretty fast, and maybe worth a try. Then i saw the weight of the bullets and binned the idea..

A .17 round at subsonic would be an FAC air rifle a 17 grain bullet travelling at 920fps would be 30 foot pound.

+1 well put.

As the range is so short compared to a .22lr there would be no market in the USA no market means they won't be made

As for the hyper .22 the standard rimfire cartridge is not big enough to take the charge required

But hmr is 17gr so you can't count that ;)

Exactly :), can't understand why people are dismissing these before they've even tried them but surely the only thing should be whether or not they're accurate because even if they don't happen to be of any use to you personally they're clearly going to be useful for certain people and situations. A 16 grain FAC pellet will kill a rabbit a long way out as will the same pellet a magpie at 100 yards so a 21 grain bullet should easily cope with a 120 yard crow, the only factor here is accuracy.

This non-lead ammo is a response by the US ammunition manufacturers to States like California where there is now a TOTAL ban on the use of lead ammunition for hunting. Whilst it may be sold over here, it is unlikely that it will provide anything that will be beneficial.

Lead has been the primary material for use in ammunition projectile manufacture, by natural selection for as long as people have been making ammunition, and it is unlikely that this will ever be bettered in practical terms of for cost and ease of manufacture. If sold here it is only likely to have, "gimmick" value, and it I always likely to be bettered by lead ammunition, particularly when we are talking rimfire ammo.

1066 in some respects the above copper based CCI ammo reminds me of this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506135961/aguila-sss-sniper-subsonic-ammunition-22-long-rifle-60-grain-lead-round-nose

A 60gn lead .22 basically an enlarged bullet over a .22 Short case. It was intended to be "quiet for hunting" as an alternative to using a sound moderator.

Americans can get them but the are on what they call "Class 3 Licence" which basically means they have to go through vetting which we would find akin to the FAC process and of course they have to pay a $200 Tax for each moderator on top of the purchase price and local taxes.

Ive never seen any in this country or I would have tried it but understand they need a barrel with a tighttwist to be accurate

Edited by English