The Olympics...no thanks

ditchman

I can't believe what a bunch of moaners you all are.

The London 2012 olympics were fantastic. It was a great spectacle and a great performance from all Team GB competitors.

Who cares if countries want to bankrupt themselves bidding for and hosting it. That their choice.

I admire the dedication and effort that all competitors put into their sport. Reading some posts on here I suspect some of you think all you have to do is inject yourselves full of a few drugs and rock on up. Get real. If you really looked at what it takes, and there have been a number of documentaries on TV recently spotlighting particular athletes - they spend months away from their families, taking their bodies to breaking point and beyond in order to make the grade. A few are winners and celebrities but for every Bolt or Farah they are hundreds of unknowns competing because they love their sport.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Likewise, although not bothered about the bolt.

Lizzie is a lucky girl.

Would love to see G win the road race. Froome has a great chance in the TT now that Domoulin is out follow his TdF crash.

I will be watching the Cycling and perhaps the Clay Shooting and perhaps Mr Bolt running but that will be it for me.

I cannot help but think that Lizzie Armitstead is a very lucky girl to be British had she been Russian she would have been presumed to be guilty and banned from the Olympics.

Edited by Penelope

1 I don't like "big money" sport anyway.

2 How come, now, professionals can compete?

3 How come, now, anybody from any country can apparently represent any other country at will, and change (back) when it suits them?

4 Agreed re troughing, drugs and the ridiculous cost of it all, especially to a "poor" country.

5 London (pleasantly) surprised me, I didn't think we could organise a party in a brewery any more.

6 Since when was synchronised swimming a sport?

7 Did I mention I can't stand "big money" sport?

The London 2012 olympics were fantastic. It was a great spectacle and a great performance from all Team GB competitors.

Who cares if countries want to bankrupt themselves bidding for and hosting it. That their choice.

I admire the dedication and effort that all competitors put into their sport. Reading some posts on here I suspect some of you think all you have to do is inject yourselves full of a few drugs and rock on up. Get real. If you really looked at what it takes, and there have been a number of documentaries on TV recently spotlighting particular athletes - they spend months away from their families, taking their bodies to breaking point and beyond in order to make the grade. A few are winners and celebrities but for every Bolt or Farah they are hundreds of unknowns competing because they love their sport.

well said, there are a lot of people trying very hard to be really good at something ! just wait for the para olympics can just hear the moaners (yer but that one without legs was cheating, sure he was on painkillers)

Olympics, World Cup, Euros, tennis etc its all reality TV not sport. The TV earnings are absolutely enormous, If for some reason all the TV pulled out the events would not take place.

The athletes compete for free (technically) because they want to be the best in the world. The IOC gets paid mega bucks, its exploitative these days. A far cry from the original noble Olympic concept.

Edited by Vince Green

I'll be watching the shooting, archery and judo, and that's it for me. Really enjoy the archery.

Look out for Patrick Huston in the GB Archery team - his trade mark is wearing a flat cap (although I have heard he has been banned from wearing it at the Olympics !)

They can love their sport as much as they like. Their choice. And it is my choice not to have the thing rammed down my throat along with the incessant replays, analysis, predictions and as much manufactured drama and scandal as they can drum up. It is as far removed from the original ideal as you can get.

This.

We went to the London Olympics along with thousands of others, it is something I will never forget.

If you don't like it don't watch it -simple as that.

I have often thought about Chris Froome as he was borne in Kenya how could he ride for the UK this explains it if anyone is interested.

2008 attracted the attention of British Cycling coach, Rod Ellingworth, who believed Froome had potential. Froome said: "Although I was riding under the Kenyan flag I made it clear that I had always carried a British passport and felt British. It was then we talked about racing under the Union Flag, and we stayed in touch."[5] Froome claimed his first professional win in March 2009, with the second stage of the Giro del Capo in Durbanville, South Africa, attacking a ten-strong breakaway with 30 km (18.6 mi) and finishing four minutes ahead.[35] He then participated in the Giro d'Italia, in which he came 36th overall, and seventh young rider classification.[36] In July he won a minor one day race, Anatomic Jock Race, in Barberton South Africa.[37] In September 2009, it was announced that he was to join British cycling team, Team Sky, for the 2010 season.[

I'd like to see some decent role models appear to inspire our youngsters that they can achieve amazing things in big games if they put their little pokemon games down

Young Amber Hill seems to be getting a lot of good press at the moment, even from the BBC.

she seems to be really pushing the angle that she is still a "girly girl" at the same time as being an Olympian (and a shooter)

I can see her becoming a good poster figure for getting young people in to both shooting and/or sport in general.

Young Amber Hill seems to be getting a lot of good press at the moment, even from the BBC.

she seems to be really pushing the angle that she is still a "girly girl" at the same time as being an Olympian (and a shooter)

I can see her becoming a good poster figure for getting young people in to both shooting and/or sport in general.

I agree, she is one to watch out for as a star,. A bloke would not have the press interest but a young normal girl who loves her twitter and other social media clearly can off-set their anti gun prejudice

This.

We went to the London Olympics along with thousands of others, it is something I will never forget.

If you don't like it don't watch it -simple as that.

I didn't go to the London Olympics as I was working overseas. I really regret it. My friends who went said the atmosphere, especially in the Veledrome and on Super Sunday was just spine tingling. I have seen bits many times on DVD and I fail to see how anybody wouldn't be moved by it. Each to their own.

One of the swimmers from my daughters swimming club, Elinah Phillip, is representing British Virgin Islands (She was born there and her parents are from there). I see how hard she trains yet she won't make any finals. Good luck to her anyway.

How many of the people who slated the Olympics on this thread watch Football on TV?

Not me. I think its all brain numbingly boring. I used to think it was a game but now think its just like lions in the colleseum in Rome. A way of keeping the plebs distracted.

Edited by Vince Green

Tune in on Friday 12th to watch Amber Hill and Elena Allen represent GB in shooting's skeet contest from 13:00. Allen is the Commonwealth champion and 2014 world silver medallist, while Hill became the sport's youngest-ever World Cup winner in 2013 before taking gold at last year's European Games.

I couldn't knock the Olympic games. I was there in 2012 when Bolt and the Jamaican team won the men's 4 x 100 in a new world record and when Mo Farah won Gold in the 10k. Unforgettable experience.

Edited by Whitebridges

I didn't go to the London Olympics as I was working overseas. I really regret it. My friends who went said the atmosphere, especially in the Veledrome and on Super Sunday was just spine tingling. I have seen bits many times on DVD and I fail to see how anybody wouldn't be moved by it. Each to their own.

One of the swimmers from my daughters swimming club, Elinah Phillip, is representing British Virgin Islands (She was born there and her parents are from there). I see how hard she trains yet she won't make any finals. Good luck to her anyway.

In fairness we only went to the beach volleyball more for a bit of fun (and those were the only tickets we got) than anything else.

The atmosphere was unbelievable and probably unrepeatable, not just there but from the second we got on the train.

The trains were absolutely packed as usual, but not with miserable people staring at their phones or the floor, with whole families genuinely excited about the day ahead. All the talk was off 'what are going to see?'

I can't imagine what the atmosphere was like in the velodrome, in the arena or at Dorney Lake, it must have been incredible.

I have seen bits many times on DVD and I fail to see how anybody wouldn't be moved by it. Each to their own.

This isnt meant in any way as a rebuttal, people get masses of enjoyment from it and that's great, I'm just giving my perspective on why sport does nothing for me personally - imagine it all just being someone running, or throwing something, kicking a ball or riding a bike. No feelings of connection with it, no interest in who wins or loses.

A bit like Christmas I suppose, some people (me included) love it, others arent bothered. Takes all sorts etc etc.