How well are Caesar Guerinis wearing?

Cumbrian

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure off hand, but it did seem quite noticeably lighter compared to the other sporters they had

The sportster they had was 32" Neil, not sure it makes a hell of a difference.... I have to say I didn't realise it until he told me!

I ended up ordering the 30" anyway, as I like nimble and quick more than slumbering and slow :-)

The sportster they had was 32" Neil, not sure it makes a hell of a difference.... I have to say I didn't realise it until he told me!

I ended up ordering the 30" anyway, as I like nimble and quick more than slumbering and slow :-)

i dont think the couple of inches makes any real difference (sure my wife would disagree!!) as there was IMO a large difference in the weight. i was quite shocked at the difference.

So off I went today to the CG warehouse to pick my gun -- it was already paid, but I knew I still had a little bit of leeway on what to buy, as the Invictus still did feel fine, and the price difference between a Ellipse and a Invictus V was rather minimal..

Anyway, I saw a few Ellipse, all lovely -- and One Invictus in 30" --- and after quite a bit of trying, I ended up picking the Invictus V, as I preferred the palm swell and hand position... Also, it's rather stunning! Like Neil, this is one of the very first imported in this country.

CG guys were awesome, they really get out of their way to please a customer, I had a great time!

Now, look at this, if I shoot as good as it looks, I'm in for at least AA scores soon ;-)

VcOSfqE.jpg

vnOIvQU.jpg

2j9zkQX.jpg

thanks guys -- tomorrow I get to shoot that pretty thing as I'm in Mid Wales. Exciting! I did a side by side comparison with my B25 trap BTW, I have to say, the B25 is also very pretty and has awesome wood.

For handling/mounting, the grip is a lot more comfortable on the CG (which is one of the reason I bough it really), and the GG is a /notch/ longer.

The LOP starts the same, but it gets bigger gradually on the CG, but not by a huge amount; that's probably why I find it comfy to shoot.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes tomorrow :-)

So that was fun! Passed around 400 shells into it today; first skeet to 'dial it in'; with Ok results. I was shooting 24g HuLl HV, and there's barely any recoil. Choked to Full+Full, I was doing 'ok' but it took a little while to get the 'picture'.

After a while we did a bit of sporting, with pretty good result, but I felt I still wasn't /on/; so we went to the DTL (it started to rain anyway!) and I practiced a bit there and finaly 'got it'. So my last run was I think 45+/50 -- but shooting DTL gun down, and only a single cartridge/clay.

So I've 'got it' now, and it handles very, very nicely indeed. It's VERY stable when shooting, lands on the shoulder very nicely, the trigger is light and crisp. Basically, it's pretty awesome!

Tomorrow I'm doing some more sporting to reinforce it :-)

Okaaay, so, yesterday I shot another 400 ish thru it; sporting and skeet. I then stripped and cleaned it 'properly' for the first time, so I think I can give an proper opinion after a heavy duty week-end.

I already mentioned the 'plusses' so I won't repeat too much, but I had a great time shooting it; Did a couple of stands shooting the simo pair starting gun open and not asking for 'pull' (I let my wife decide). See clays, close gun, bring it up, shoot and it comes up very nicely.

Some people I know (including a instructor/mentor) who aren't familiar/keen with CG were very impressed with it and I now feel I've 'dialed' in the gun; in fact I feel I'm shooting most targets better than my with my B25 already. Ok there might be a bit of 'new toy' syndrome in there, but I try to be critical.

One other thing I could add as a plus is that like the fact the ejectors aren't too enthusiastic -- they do the job etc, but they eject perhaps a meter or so behind, not five friggin meters as with quite a few guns I tried. I don't know why so many guns have such powerful ejectors, while in 99% case, the shooter catches the cases anyway!

Now theres ONE thing I noticed which I think is a design fault -- Thats not enough not to be enthusiastic about the gun, but enough to make me very careful when I disassemble it. When putting back the foreend on the barrels (without the action), it's VERY easy to mark the wood by hitting the thin lip of wood against the sharp corner that is on the barrels... I'm usually super careful, and I managed to mark mine; in fact, there's about ONE single angle to do it 'properly' and anything else will result in your hitting the forend wood on the sharp steel corner on the barrels.

I've now added a couple of layers of superglue on the wood surface, then re-flatened both sides to make the wood tougher. I think it could do with a bit of a 'guard' there; I might make one up.

Other than that, I also noticed I can't seem to clean the bores to mirror finish. I still see faint streaks in them. I rodded them with bore cleaner, cleaned, then passed the snakes. So I assume it's some sort of factory finish on the chromed bores?

So overall, I'd give it a 96/100. Well pleased.

What shells do you use.....this may have a bearing on how clean they come up.

Not wanting to open up a new debate, but the the bores on my Invuctus are like mirrors and I literally do no more than spray some Napier down them, leave for 10 minutes and push through with rolled up kitchen roll...haven't used a bronze brush in months.

Glad you are happy with it, good choice.

What shells do you use.....this may have a bearing on how clean they come up.

Not wanting to open up a new debate, but the the bores on my Invuctus are like mirrors and I literally do no more than spray some Napier down them, leave for 10 minutes and push through with rolled up kitchen roll...haven't used a bronze brush in months.

Glad you are happy with it, good choice.

I used a combination of 27g SuperFast and 24g HV (both Hull, both fibers). I would still assume that after a good roding, I wouldn't see anything, even if the cartridges are dirty (these aren't particularly dirty). Anyway my current view is that they must have some sort of coating in them for storage/shipping.

With fibre wads the pellets are in contact with the bores and the streaks you're seeing are probably lead. Much as I hate to suggest it, a good soak with WD-40 is probably as good as anything to loosen lead although Clenzoil will probably work too.

I don't use any fibres with my CG and a 10 minute soak with Clenzoil followed by a couple of patches brings the bores up like new.

So I asked the guy at Emmet&Stone, and he says chromes/back bored barrels are more prone to fouling, and that yes, they need more cleaning. Weird, I thought it would be the other way around and that chromed barrels would be a lot easier to clean! Oh well...

My experience is that it's more to do with the gun maker than the technology. My last clays gun - which wasn't a CG - had standard overbored chromed barrels of 18.6mm bore size and 5" forcing cones. Cleaning was always a problem, especially the forcing cone area and when I was selling it, I spent 4 hours trying unsuccessfully to clean them completely. My CG also has overbored chromed barrels stamped 18.6mm and with 5" forcing cones, but the internal finish has a noticeably higher gloss than it's predecessor and as I said above, a 10 minute soak with Clenzoil and a couple of patches brings the bores up like new.

So I asked the guy at Emmet&Stone, and he says chromes/back bored barrels are more prone to fouling, and that yes, they need more cleaning. Weird, I thought it would be the other way around and that chromed barrels would be a lot easier to clean! Oh well...

Not so sure :hmm: I have owned a dozen or more guns at least and most have been chromed including my very first gun which was a Laurona and they have all cleaned up OK when I have felt the need to remove what must be plastic and lead streaking ! Unsurprising really seeing as we make hundreds of explosions which send powder and wotnot down the tubes at supersonic speeds.

It continues to amaze the hell out of me why anyone sees the need to clean the bores to a mirror finish :rolleyes: who is going to see them and what is the prize for the brightest tubes competitions ? One single shot on your next outing will put things back to square one, I half expect seeing someone Paradox their barrels in between stands. :lol:

The day someone proves clean barrels shoot straighter I will......................nah I prolly still prefer having a normal unstressed life.

Not so sure :hmm: I have owned a dozen or more guns at least and most have been chromed including my very first gun which was a Laurona and they have all cleaned up OK when I have felt the need to remove what must be plastic and lead streaking ! Unsurprising really seeing as we make hundreds of explosions which send powder and wotnot down the tubes at supersonic speeds.

It continues to amaze the hell out of me why anyone sees the need to clean the bores to a mirror finish :rolleyes: who is going to see them and what is the prize for the brightest tubes competitions ? One single shot on your next outing will put things back to square one, I half expect seeing someone Paradox their barrels in between stands. :lol:

The day someone proves clean barrels shoot straighter I will......................nah I prolly still prefer having a normal unstressed life.

+1

Agreed. good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif Don't get me wrong Hammy. I clean the bores about every thousand rounds but when I do finally get up the enthusiasm I like to do it right.