lack of rabbits

bumpy22

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably wont a healthy population of both is a perfect balance. Populations will fluctuate with rabbit numbers as its their primary food source.

After the rabbit was virtually wiped out in the 50's 60's Buzzards followed very quickly.

Thankfully many historical colonies of Rabbits appear to have built up some immunity to Myxomatosis.

Plenty of both around these parts.

"built up some immunity to Myxomatosis".......well not according to a vet I was talking to some time back, he's a shooting man and I happened to mention that the rabbits were back on one of the farms we shoot and the subject of immunity in rabbits came up, he told me that Myxomatosis is like colds and flu in humans, every outbreak the virus is different, that's why its been so successful in keeping numbers down for so long, he was telling me that if you get an outbreak of Myxomatosis in an area the rabbits that survive have not built up an immunity they just did not get any fleas on them from the infected rabbits, the few survivors breed the following year leading people to think they have built up immunity to Myxomatosis and survived.

"built up some immunity to Myxomatosis".......well not according to a vet I was talking to some time back, he's a shooting man and I happened to mention that the rabbits were back on one of the farms we shoot and the subject of immunity in rabbits came up, he told me that Myxomatosis is like colds and flu in humans, every outbreak the virus is different, that's why its been so successful in keeping numbers down for so long, he was telling me that if you get an outbreak of Myxomatosis in an area the rabbits that survive have not built up an immunity they just did not get any fleas on them from the infected rabbits, the few survivors breed the following year leading people to think they have built up immunity to Myxomatosis and survived.

That's very interesting

I'm not a Vet ( sadly) but I'm pretty confident that the Myxo virus is not only spread by fleas but by direct Rabbit to Rabbit contact with infected individuals. A study conducted as far back as 1986 showed that surviving Rabbits which were siring offspring were building up a certain amount of genetic resistance and natural immunity to the virus.

In 53/54 99% of UK's rabbits were eradicated by Myxomatosis virus and their recovery over the last 60 years or so is likely due to some sort of immunity I would have thought especially if the virus is mutating. ?

There is a big warren on one of the farms I shoot which always seem to have large numbers of healthy Rabbits each year but with several infected Rabbits also.

well on the 20 farms i shoot iv not seen that many this year.

Somerset Floods ???

That's very interesting

I'm not a Vet ( sadly) but I'm pretty confident that the Myxo virus is not only spread by fleas but by direct Rabbit to Rabbit contact with infected individuals. A study conducted as far back as 1986 showed that surviving Rabbits which were siring offspring were building up a certain amount of genetic resistance and natural immunity to the virus.

In 53/54 99% of UK's rabbits were eradicated by Myxomatosis virus and their recovery over the last 60 years or so is likely due to some sort of immunity I would have thought especially if the virus is mutating. ?

There is a big warren on one of the farms I shoot which always seem to have large numbers of healthy Rabbits each year but with several infected Rabbits also.

Somerset Floods ???

Yes it did baffle me at the time, as I remember shooting a rabbit that had scars on it that looked very much like old Myxomatosis scars but this rabbit was healthy apart from the scars.

Apparently there is a ban on vaccination for domestic rabbits in Australia because of fears of the live vaccine spreading to the wild rabbit thus making them less susceptible to Myxomatosis, I wonder if that is the case in the UK?

Edited by old'un

They probably wont a healthy population of both is a perfect balance. Populations will fluctuate with rabbit numbers as its their primary food source.

After the rabbit was virtually wiped out in the 50's 60's Buzzards followed very quickly.

Thankfully many historical colonies of Rabbits appear to have built up some immunity to Myxomatosis.

Plenty of both around these parts.

Whilst I accept mixxy is horrible the sentiment is misplaced.

Landowners are Legally bound to remove rabbits as they cause all manner of issues round farms/stables/etc.

Nature finds it own level, what did the Buzzards do before the Romans brought over the rabbit?

The rabbit is a Pest Species, it is not there to provide sport for people.

:good:

Landowners are Legally bound to remove rabbits as they cause all manner of issues round farms/stables/etc.

Nature finds it own level, what did the Buzzards do before the Romans brought over the rabbit?

On another point of interest, I thought it was a land owner who released them in the uk for sport on his land after he enjoyed shooting them in France? I stand ready to be corrected😃

On another point of interest, I thought it was a land owner who released them in the uk for sport on his land after he enjoyed shooting them in France? I stand ready to be corrected

Crumbs, I've never heard of that one!

A quick google of the subject will provide a mass of information suggesting it was the Romans!

After a quick Google it appears your quite right. I seem to have got mixed up with Australia. Every days a school day

Crumbs, I've never heard of that one!

A quick google of the subject will provide a mass of information suggesting it was the Romans!

I was also of the understanding the romans brought them and put in some artificial warrens for easy available meat.

I beg to differ….to 1.5% of the working population they are a big pest granted…but to the other 98.5% ??

Rabbits were indeed introduced by the Romans as a food source…. sadly we know what happened next.

During the middle ages the Rabbit or Coney was a primary food source of the landed gentry..the Warrens were controlled by Warriners hence the evolution of the name. Such men had great status amongst the wealthy. Similarly the surname of Coney is associated with someone who sold rabbits.

There are plenty of places in the UK called Coneygar, I myself was born in Coneygar Road GL7…

Medieval punishments for poaching Rabbits were extreme, the animal not only reserved for the table but also for the sporting enjoyment of the Royal and privileged falconers. Even as recently as Victorian times poaching could lead to the noose.

So although the rabbit is a pest lets not kid ourselves that it’s not a sporting animal either. ! If it wasn’t so many posters on this forum wouldn’t bemoan the lack of them to shoot as has the starter of this topic. :yes: :)

Edited by Adge Cutler

I beg to differ….to 1.5% of the working population they are a big pest granted…but to the other 98.5% ??

Rabbits were indeed introduced by the Romans as a food source…. sadly we know what happened next.

During the middle ages the Rabbit or Coney was a primary food source of the landed gentry..the Warrens were controlled by Warriners hence the evolution of the name. Such men had great status amongst the wealthy. Similarly the surname of Coney is associated with someone who sold rabbits.

There are plenty of places in the UK called Coneygar, I myself was born in Coneygar Road GL7…

Medieval punishments for poaching Rabbits were extreme, the animal not only reserved for the table but also for the sporting enjoyment of the Royal and privileged falconers. Even as recently as Victorian times poaching could lead to the noose.

So although the rabbit is a pest lets not kid ourselves that it’s not a sporting animal either. ! If it wasn’t so many posters on this forum wouldn’t bemoan the lack of them to shoot as has the starter of this topic. :yes: :)

Disagree with whatever you like, they are a Pest Species today and have been for many years, the fact that apparently you suggest 98.5% of the population may not think that doesn't change the fact, they are a pest species.

Read the 1954 Pest Act, the Government didn't introduce that for your sporting benefit, it was introduced because the rabbit is a serious pest!

Disagree with whatever you like, they are a Pest Species today and have been for many years, the fact that apparently you suggest 98.5% of the population may not think that doesn't change the fact, they are a pest species.

Read the 1954 Pest Act, the Government didn't introduce that for your sporting benefit, it was introduced because the rabbit is a serious pest!

I'm not disputing that at all... but many of us, me included go out and shoot rabbits for sport as we do pigeons...why would we lament the lack of rabbits otherwise.. ?? I'm well aware of the 1954 pest act in respect of Rabbits but this was drawn up when rabbits were devastating food crops in their thousands in most agricultural areas in the country. That was in the last century :lol:

Perhaps we should make concerted efforts to eradicate them completely like we did the passenger pigeon :whistling:

I like to look on the humble rabbit as a sporting challenge just as I think other members of this forum do. I'm always pretty chuffed with myself if I can knock a bolting rabbit over with my 410 at 30 yards or sneak up on one in daylight with the Co2 air rifle and put a pellet in its bonce. Conversely I don't get much enjoyment in shooting them at night with SWAT tactical equipment because I agree with you in this instance its not sporting at all. :good:

I'm not disputing that at all... but many of us, me included go out and shoot rabbits for sport as we do pigeons...why would we lament the lack of rabbits otherwise.. ?? I'm well aware of the 1954 pest act in respect of Rabbits but this was drawn up when rabbits were devastating food crops in their thousands in most agricultural areas in the country. That was in the last century :lol:

Perhaps we should make concerted efforts to eradicate them completely like we did the passenger pigeon :whistling:

I like to look on the humble rabbit as a sporting challenge just as I think other members of this forum do. I'm always pretty chuffed with myself if I can knock a bolting rabbit over with my 410 at 30 yards or sneak up on one in daylight with the Co2 air rifle and put a pellet in its bonce. Conversely I don't get much enjoyment in shooting them at night with SWAT tactical equipment because I agree with you in this instance its not sporting at all. :good:

Enjoy what you like, but please remember they cause phenomenal problems, they are a Pest species and there are apparently more in the country now than in 1954.

And yes, we should make an attempt to eradicate them completely, just like the "Government" is trying to do with the Grey Squirrel, you can add the Canada goose to that list as well, and no doubt more if I stopped to think longer! The Pest Act makes no mention of leaving a few for sport!!!!

...and no, I don't shoot them for sport, it's my living, so far more important than sport to me.

People need to look at the wider picture, this was a job I got called to yesterday, the power unit is almost totally undermined and liable to tilt/sink/fail/be shut down, the rabbits need removing pronto, there is nothing sporting about it, especially if you were one of the many who lost the power to your house because I sent in a sporting team to do it when they had some free time for a bit of sport.

post-20848-0-85442000-1474443368_thumb.jpgpost-20848-0-01129600-1474443379_thumb.jpgpost-20848-0-21005400-1474443392_thumb.jpg

And try telling the Horse rider laying in hospital with a broken neck and her horse destroyed because of rabbits, aren't they a great fun sporting animal, I'm so glad they are making a comeback!

Please remember the rabbit is a serious problem, some of us have to pick up the pieces!

Good work.. :good:

I like to see them about though to be honest even though they need to be controlled, gives me and thousands of other air gunners and ferreters something to shoot or net... I wouldn't want you to become unemployed either. :)

I think they have been here long enough to be considered almost indigenous ...certainly the case of the Rabbit which was roaming the fields long before man invented electricity.

I don't think Rabbit populations are anywhere near 50's numbers nor ever will be again..

I recall speaking to a old Farmer near Tetbury who told me that between 40 and 54 the men from MAFF used to turn up on his family farm and other farms in the region twice a year with long nets and catch literally thousands of rabbits, and after they had finished it was as though they hadn't been at all, with still many rabbits underfoot as you walked through the fields. In one session in 42 over 7,000 were netted on his 200 acre Farm !! The meat was used to feed the Army.

It would be impossible now to eradicate rabbits and grey squirrels imo

Enjoy what you like, but please remember they cause phenomenal problems, they are a Pest species and there are apparently more in the country now than in 1954.

And yes, we should make an attempt to eradicate them completely, just like the "Government" is trying to do with the Grey Squirrel, you can add the Canada goose to that list as well, and no doubt more if I stopped to think longer! The Pest Act makes no mention of leaving a few for sport!!!!

...and no, I don't shoot them for sport, it's my living, so far more important than sport to me.

People need to look at the wider picture, this was a job I got called to yesterday, the power unit is almost totally undermined and liable to tilt/sink/fail/be shut down, the rabbits need removing pronto, there is nothing sporting about it, especially if you were one of the many who lost the power to your house because I sent in a sporting team to do it when they had some free time for a bit of sport.

008b.jpg 009b.jpg 010b.jpg

And try telling the Horse rider laying in hospital with a broken neck and her horse destroyed because of rabbits, aren't they a great fun sporting animal, I'm so glad they are making a comeback!

Please remember the rabbit is a serious problem, some of us have to pick up the pieces!

I agree with the horse riders bit, seen that a couple of times unfortunately.

Far fewer about this year where I shoot,still shoot some(150 or so this year)but much less than previous years(900-1000).Strangely I more enjoy shooting them when numbers aren't so great.Some years ago when confronted with an out of control rabbit population it felt a duty/obligation to kill as many as possible,now with farmers more relaxed:"at last they are under control" I can now enjoy shooting them without worrying about how many I manage to kill.

Over the last couple of years most the rabbits in my area have been wiped out by RVHD (Rabbit Viral Hemorrhagic Disease) and now that RVHD2 has spread to this country I suspect any immunity building up in the local population will give no protection to this new strain.

This! Our family farms used to be overrun, you literally couldn't feed the .22lr fast enough. Mixy came and had a marked effect but over the last couple of years we have had a complete disappearance of rabbits.

We see a few juveniles but that's it, we now have hare in ground previously unseen and no rabbits to speak of.

I think the population was dealt a significant blow with the serious winter and following floods of 2013 plus the new disease.

I have gone from buying Lr and HMR ammo monthly to almost twice a year!!