Blocked drain

AVB

Ok this is embarrassing as I am the son of a plumber. I have a blocked drain. One of the ones that the rainwater downpipe drains into. I have some rods (I inherited them from my dad) but they don't bend enough in order to get into the drain. The opening in the patio is about 6 inches square and then the drain is at right angles about 8 inches down the opening. What do I use to try to clear it or do I just call the experts in?

Thanks

Had a similar problem awhile back. This solution depends on how your drain is connected to the main drain into which others also feed.

Ours drain runs down the side of the house and at a "T" junction joins a main drain running down the backs of other houses in the street into which those other houses feed. In our garden is a metal drain cover some 30 inches by 15 inches and when I lift it I can see our drain connecting into the common / communal flow. At this junction the drain is not a full pipe but 1/2 pipe like guttering in structure. This allowed me access to rod the drain from the other side of the blockage.

Also, a mate had a similar problem which he solved by buying from the local ironmongers some elbow length rubber gloves with elasticated tops. He was able to stick his hand down the drain and reach the blockage (caused by plasterers cleaning their tools!!! over the drain).

Two thoughts to try before the expense of Dinorod etc.

You need to find the nearest available access downstream and rod back against the obstruction not toward it as it will only compact it.

Plenty of water in the process from a hose

If its a PVC rainwater downpipe cut it off at the bottom and jet it...... you can always reconnect with a connector.

Try also an industrial duty unblocker modern ones are very good and dissolve anything that might be washed down the downpipe.

Did this job today, all sewer pipes in my area run from one house to the other for a fair way, my mate 2 doors down says we got a problem my drains backing up, check 4doors down and a dry drain.

Check with 3 doors down and lift the cover and yep we found it brimmed to the top.

Now this is 5 feet deep so we put a spiral pole in and pull out baby wipes,after the first bucket full we rod from 4 doors backwards and thats when I shout my mate to move fast as the whole lots on the move, as it all fires his way another whole stack from flood out from the toilet pipes.

In all 1/1/2 bucket full of baby wipes, 2/1/2 hours work and one very sorry young mum who has just been handed back her wipes.

Wipes go in the bin , not the toilet.

Have you lifted the manhole cover to see if the manhole is full up? It could be blocked on the exit of the manhole as such?

I haven't but none of the other drains appear blocked so I am assuming it is blocked somewhere between the patio and the manhole cover. There are a lot trees around so it is either leaves and other rubbish or, worst case, tree roots. I would ask dad for advice but the he doesn't respond to the clairvoyant.

I haven't but none of the other drains appear blocked so I am assuming it is blocked somewhere between the patio and the manhole cover. There are a lot trees around so it is either leaves and other rubbish or, worst case, tree roots. I would ask dad for advice but the he doesn't respond to the clairvoyant.

If you have a trap on the gutter drain, put you hand/arm down and try and clear it, if that doesent work you will have to lift the manhole cover and then work backwards towards the trap. if that fails and you suspect that there may be tree roots, you can buy a cheap (£20ish) inspection camera on flea bay, that plugs into a laptop.

Have you had a lot of rain?? If not then maybe your manhole is blocked and the gutter drain is the first\lowest point and acting as an overflow??

Edited by silver pigeon69

Ok this is embarrassing as I am the son of a plumber. I have a blocked drain. One of the ones that the rainwater downpipe drains into. I have some rods (I inherited them from my dad) but they don't bend enough in order to get into the drain. The opening in the patio is about 6 inches square and then the drain is at right angles about 8 inches down the opening. What do I use to try to clear it or do I just call the experts in?

Thanks

I had one similar and eventually dug it out - the horizontal pipe was a dead end a couple of feet away,

Perhaps you have something a bit more flexible than drain rods (eg a garden hose) that would go into the hole? You may very quickly be able to find out how far away the blockage has occurred.

Can you "surge" the pipe, in the same manner as you might use a rubber plunger for a blocked basin? Obviously a standard plunger will not fit the 6 inch square opening, but the old-fashioned charladys mop with a plastic bag full of water tied over the end works quite well for surging a toilet pan, so maybe something similar is worth trying.

If it's a shared sewer (one where more than just your water goes into it) isn't it now the waste water boards responsibility? Give them a call and let them put it right.

Yes - couple of years back drains blocked outside us and next door. Neighbour called out a cowboy drain company who said we needed our drives dug up and new drains put in as they had collapsed. After working out the drain layout, what this cowboy had explained was causing the problem, was impossible, we called the local water company. 2 hours later they had the drains cleared with no cost. You're paying sewage costs in your water rates!

Edited by MrM

Top tip if you use rods , while rodding DO not twist them anti clock wise as they will undo , you might laugh and say I'm not that daft some idiot did it to my drains before I moved in and left 15m off rod up there , I only found them as I was rodding one winters night 6 inch snow head down the man hole hour later rods slipped out and whoosh