Hand guns

bullet1747

We had to hand them to the Police at nominated stations by appointment, when mine were handed over they had difficulty in fitting some of them in the bags provided . We were paid from a list of pre set valuations £50 each for some of the older guns on the list 66% of the new purchase price for others on the list and market value for others which were not on the list. The valuations were made by gun dealers at a cost per gun this was also reimbursed to us. Overall I made a profit on the purchase prices of my guns but lost on the cost of my reloading gear and components as not all of this was not covered by the scheme. The Police were very understanding in my case and were more than happy to grant a section one 12 bore with rifled barrel or slug for the purpose of target shooting . I don`t quite know where all the money was spent but some of it was spent on a new custom fitted Beretta shotgun which I still have today . Rumor has it that the declared cost for this was far in excess of the publicised figures mainly due to the guns for valuation ( some of mine were in the region of £1000 each )

Edited by sportsbob

I had a Browning hi power in 9mm but to be honest it was poor in comparison to my Sig Saur which was faster and more accurate

Browning with the mars-bar mag was a good gun ... plenty of fire power. The Sig 9mm which I also owned was a fantastic gun but because I have large hands used to pinch the web of my right hand between the thumb and forefinger.

I donated mine to a club in St Cloud, Florida, with the permission of the local police, sheriffs dept. and FBI, 357 Colt Python, 38 Colt Diamondback 44 Colt King Cobra ported pin gun and 22 Colt Diamondback all 6" barrel and all superb Colt blue (except 44 which was stainless) It cost me , but I refused to hand over to a corrupt government, my cherished collection. They had previously taken my M16, AK47 and Mini 14 for rubbish money (I did hear, but never managed to confirm, that the RUC was re-armed with handed in Ruger Mini 14's purchased for £150 each)

I donated mine to a club in St Cloud, Florida, with the permission of the local police, sheriffs dept. and FBI, 357 Colt Python, 38 Colt Diamondback 44 Colt King Cobra ported pin gun and 22 Colt Diamondback all 6" barrel and all superb Colt blue (except 44 which was stainless) It cost me , but I refused to hand over to a corrupt government, my cherished collection. They had previously taken my M16, AK47 and Mini 14 for rubbish money (I did hear, but never managed to confirm, that the RUC was re-armed with handed in Ruger Mini 14's purchased for £150 each)

After the handgun ban our police started using Glocks for the first time and the Indian police started wearing S&W 686s and similar revolvers in place of their old enfield revolvers

Edited by Vince Green

Ive just been reading about last nights program about guns in America , got me wondering when you were allowed to own them in Britain and the law changed did they have to handed in to the police or registered dealers and were you reimbursed any monies for this

Luckily, my 6 pistols/revolvers were sold prior to Dunblane, and the ban that followed. My father handed his in to an RFD who gave him a very small payment to what they were worth.

I had a 1917 erfurt lugar,1942 commercial colt 1911,9mil smith and wesson auto,22 beretta target pistol,plus all the loading gear,empty cases,when i recieved my compo,it worked out i was just about even money wise,i sold the lugar to a guy who lived in the isle of man,lost a bit on it but i know it whent to a good home,what we lost with the taking away of are sport cannot be ever be justified in my opinion,the only people to have access to hand guns are the scum and gangsters.

I did well out of the compensation scheme, and although they initially tried not to compensate me for the reloading gear as they claimed I would need it to reload carbine calibres, I was paid in full after informing them I had no intention of shooting carbines.

I handed in a 1911A1, a S&W New Model Departure, bought by a young Subaltern to take to Flanders and subsequently handed in to York Guns ( when it was a proper gunshop ) by his widow, and a 4" S&W nickeled 586; a thing of beauty.

We had several months in which to hand in our handguns, which makes a mockery of the threat the media and police plus some of the public claimed we were to the general public! If we were such a threat why weren't our handguns seized ASAP? Strange really, but there again the ban had absolutely nothing to do with handguns.

Anyhow, in our club we loaded up all the ammo we had cases for and over a period of weeks must have fired off thousands upon thousand of rounds each, just to use up powders primers etc.

A bloke who had owned an off ticket artillery Luger for years finally got it out on his ticket just a matter of weeks prior to Dunblane, so that went, and a young lad who was a member of the Lune Valley club, who had a gorgeous collection of Webleys, started by his Father, lost the lot.

And for what?

do you think the ban will ever be lifted cant see why they wont let use have 22lr pistols proper ones not ones with daft long barrels and a coat hanger i guess it due to concealment issues just wondering what would stop a would be criminal cutting the barrel down and cutting the coat hunger off funny thing i was watching a programme not so long ago and a bunch of scummy gangsters had 9mm pistols and sub machine guns fault this were band years ago and when was we ever aloud fully auto sub machine guns in less you were in the army on duty