License expired during renwal process

supadonk

Yep fairly common procedure.

You both do a Weapon transfer.

Go to your local police force website and search "Firearms Transfer/Disposal Notification"

It can be done online but if you mate is under a different police force he needs to fill in one from their website in addition to you.

At least thats what my FEO told me recently lol

Link to Northants for ref only...

Online Form

Edited by Snoozer

My licences have been expired for nearly 7 weeks now with the application put in over 5 months ago. The hold up is over keeping an as yet unpurchased air rifle silencer slot on the FAC. Absolutely ridiculous, but the Force have told me the licence has been issued from the expiry date but just isn't in my hand. This is clearly a cop out that buys them time without having to issue a section 7 permit, but is probably the most sensible way all round to be honest.

If the OP had put his application in with plenty of time for them to respond I would be wanting a section 7 permit or for the Police to pay the costs of storage elsewhere as it was their fault that you are in this position now.

^ as above....

Which force? South Wales or Gwent or Dyfed Powys?

If renewal went in by the required date (12-8 weeks prior?) then he should ask for a section 7, if he was late sending in paperwork then he can transfer to your cert, if his cert has expired may be easier to take hem to an rfd for storage Keens near Bridgend are reasonable on cost.....

Don't think the law has been passed yet took this from sporting shooter January 2017

Two improvements to firearms law which were proposed by the Countryside Alliance (CA) have

been moved by government as amendments to the Policing and Crime Bill, in the House of Lords;

the amendments concern firearm certificate renewals and expanding ammunition.

The changes mean that if a renewal has been submitted in a timely fashion and the police have

failed to complete the process before the expiry date, the certificate will remain valid for a further

period of eight weeks; while expanding ammunition of the kind used for deer stalking

moves back to Section 1 .

Chief executive of the CA, Tim Bonner explain what the changes would mean for licence holders:

"As many of you will unfortunately be aware, some police forces are consistently failing to renew

licences on time and that can create real problems for licence holders who will either be left with a

restricted temporary permit, or have to lodge their guns with another licence holder until theirs

is renewed.

"The first] amendment means that if a renewal application has been made in good time then the

licence can be extended for a period of up to eight weeks after its original expiry date.

"The second amendment deals with a classic contradiction in our legislation which means that

someone who holds a firearms licence which specifically allows them to own a rifle for the

purpose of managing deer must also have a specific exemption from the police to possess the

expanding ammunition which is legally required for deer culling. The amendment moves expanding

ammunition back to Section 1 , removing the need for the totally unnecessary police exemption.

"These amendments are of benefit both to licence holders and the police licensing

department, and we look fonruard to them becoming legally binding in the near future.

Changing the law is a long and complex business and we are very grateful for the support of

Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP, the Minister, Brandon

Lewis MP, and the British Shooting Sports Council

in securing these significant improvements to

firearms legislation for You

My SGC has run out before renewal twice now. The first time was 2011 and they issued the S7 but this year I rang in for a S7 and was told that the hold up was a only for the home security check and and I could carry on as normal. When I mentioned that I might want to buy some shells they just said it was "Too bad can't be helped". It's pretty obvious they don't like issuing the S7s any more.

Greater Manchester were just about the fastest in the country, but earlier this year had some problems which resulted in a delay of a couple of months. Mine ran out in September, but GMP issued a temporary certificate without being asked. My renewal certificate arrived a few weeks later and I sent the temporary version back.

Whilst GMP might have relinquished their fastest position, they remain a professional and very helpful team.

Sorry it's section 7

This temporary permits under section7 of firearms act 1968. This will allow you to keep and use your firearms/shotguns and

Also by virtue of section 5(2)(a) of firearms (amendment) act 1988 to purchase shot gun ammunition.

Is this any good .

My SGC has run out before renewal twice now. The first time was 2011 and they issued the S7 but this year I rang in for a S7 and was told that the hold up was a only for the home security check and and I could carry on as normal. When I mentioned that I might want to buy some shells they just said it was "Too bad can't be helped". It's pretty obvious they don't like issuing the S7s any more.

They have to issue a Section 7 by law. Get on to BASC and they will get on to them. "Too bad, can't be helped!" is not good enough. You have to be in possession of a current Certificate. Yes they could phone up the Firearms Department and check but they wont. The onus is on you. Insist on a Section 7.

Edited by Uncle Albert

Why,oh,why, Cannot you just not stand on your back legs and tell it how it is:

They are late with renewal and its their fault..

The balls in there court as far as I am concerned..

Sorry for edit..

And why is it when carp hits the fan,We all bend over,,time it stopped.

It needs standing up to,,I would..

Edited by subsonicnat

If mine had expired and I needed it and they said "too bad can't be helped" id be taking down there name and number and putting in a complaint.

If they are too slow to process your app they should be issueing a temp one to cover the gap.

Unless people stand up and say that the poor service they receive is not good enough then it will long continue.

wouldnt of mattered anyway as a S7 only allows you to hold. not to use or purchase. you couldnt have bought cartridges even with the S7.lol

wouldnt of mattered anyway as a S7 only allows you to hold. not to use or purchase. you couldnt have bought cartridges even with the S7.lol

Not sure I'm following this. As far as I'm aware a S7's allows possession and use. If it doesn't allow use then there are an awful lot of law breakers out there with the full knowledge of their licensing authority.

You can also sell a firearm but not buy while on a S7.

Regarding buying cartridges on a S7's, whilst buying them is a no no without showing a valid SGC, in practice it all depends how well you know your local RFD.

Not sure I'm following this. As far as I'm aware a S7's allows possession and use. If it doesn't allow use then there are an awful lot of law breakers out there with the full knowledge of their licensing authority.

You can also sell a firearm but not buy while on a S7.

Regarding buying cartridges on a S7's, whilst buying them is a no no without showing a valid SGC, in practice it all depends how well you know your local RFD.

Yep, your right,I'm in the wrong. Went on last renewal information from my licensing department. Was told I can store but nothing else. With I liked it up then.

Section 7 of the 1968 Act enables a chief officer of police to issue to a person a permit

authorising them to possess a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of the 1968 Act

applies, or a shotgun, in any special case where it may not be necessary or desirable to

issue a certificate. For example, a permit should in normal circumstances be issued to

authorise the temporary possession by a relative or the executor of a deceased person, or

the receiver of a bankrupt’s estate, of firearms or ammunition forming part of the property

of the deceased person or bankrupt. A permit may not be issued to authorise the purchase

or acquisition of firearms or ammunition (but see section 5(1) of the 1988 Act and chapter

15). If it does not specify possession only, it will be assumed by default that the permit

allows use. A permit should be issued if a certificate holder’s firearm certificate or shotgun

certificate has expired and they have made reasonable efforts to renew in good time.