Moles

Davyo

Sometimes they spring the traps by pushing soil through them. Try setting them further from the hill.

Dead right! I call it Bulldozing. As a general rule of thumb, the newer the tunnel, the more likely the mole has to clear the tunnel out on a regular basis. The mole pushes soil in front of it and that soil can case the trap to spring while the mole is safely behind the catching wire or prongs. Once the tunnels are established the mole only need to clear the tunnel if it is damaged by people, animals or vehicles going over it. Sometimes you can see a bit of crumbly soil pushed up through the site of an old molehill. That is the tunnel to put your trap in. Not between newly produced mole hills.

Dead right! I call it Bulldozing. As a general rule of thumb, the newer the tunnel, the more likely the mole has to clear the tunnel out on a regular basis. The mole pushes soil in front of it and that soil can case the trap to spring while the mole is safely behind the catching wire or prongs. Once the tunnels are established the mole only need to clear the tunnel if it is damaged by people, animals or vehicles going over it. Sometimes you can see a bit of crumbly soil pushed up through the site of an old molehill. That is the tunnel to put your trap in. Not between newly produced mole hills.

Interesting , I will try that.

Worms need moisture in the soil and if there are a lot of worms then there is a good chance of moles predating on them. But if the soil becomes flooded the moles may avoid the area until it dries up. I say 'may' because some moles will still use the flooded tunnels if possible as often worms are washed down them. The moles will usually nest in drier areas and commute to the wetter areas to feed.

Drove through Lincolnshire last weekend and couldn't believe the number of mole hills in some areas, any reasons as to why they're so prolific this year?

We haven't had any hard, frosty weather to freeze the ground which keeps the worms deeper which in turn keeps the moles deeper meaning less hills.

I have got vols in my garden and I have noted that they have started making little ridges in parts of my grass again no mole hills like moles make voles just make runs just under the grass so that they can eat the roots they are lovely little things if you ever get to see one I am not a keen gardener so not to bothered about them.

I have got vols in my garden and I have noted that they have started making little ridges in parts of my grass again no mole hills like moles make voles just make runs just under the grass so that they can eat the roots they are lovely little things if you ever get to see one I am not a keen gardener so not to bothered about them.

If the ridges were bigger they would have been made by moles and although incorrect the name given to them is/was 'traces d'amour'.

A mate of mine used to live in Kent and we would quite often be found on the golf course, as is our want. Certain fairways were riddled with mole hills. We were walking down one and he suddenly stopped and took out his 9 iron. You'll never get on the green with that, I thought. He proceeded to line up on a mole hill and get set to play a shot. "Your ball is over the stream," I said. With that he took one almighty swipe and the head of the mole went in one direction and the body went in another. He turned round and had the biggest s### eatin grin on his face I have ever seen. "Got the ******!" he cried and sauntered off up the fairway to his ball.