Where to put 10k

billytheghillie

Had a quick look at the link. I dont use any of the high profile lenders that are advertised. There rates don't seem that great and if you're taking a bit of a chance then it might as well be worth it.

I made my decision after reading Money savings expert web site. Previously the Banks gave a better return and it was worth bouncing 1K around a few to get a good interest rate. IE Santander would give you 3% on 60K for a couple. LLoyds, TSB and possibly some others give a better Safe return on a couple of grand so that might swallow up the 10K.

Never had Premium bonds myself but the Wife has about 20K and gets the odd £25 win out of it.

The op could always split his money around the various institutions.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treat the free advice on this thread for what it is - gossip you'd get down the pub.

Alternatively, read up yourself for free.

Or, pay an IFA.

"You pays your money, you takes your choice.".

Without knowing anything about your circumstances, save you're asking for advice on a shooting forum(!), I'd say look for an interest-bearing with notice deposit account or something risk free - like premium bonds. Anything else will probably swallow any potential profit in dealing fees. You probably won't qualify as an exempt retail investor and so can't invest in many products with a £10,000 ticket price.

Treat the free advice on this thread for what it is - gossip you'd get down the pub.

Alternatively, read up yourself for free.

Or, pay an IFA.

"You pays your money, you takes your choice.".

Without knowing anything about your circumstances, save you're asking for advice on a shooting forum(!), I'd say look for an interest-bearing with notice deposit account or something risk free - like premium bonds. Anything else will probably swallow any potential profit in dealing fees. You probably won't qualify as an exempt retail investor and so can't invest in many products with a £10,000 ticket price.

You have confused me with the last part of your post.

"You probably won't qualify as an exempt retail investor and so can't invest in many products with a £10,000 ticket price."

What does that mean?

I've got 10k doing nothing in the bank and been pondering this same question lately and was thinking a small bit of land would be a good buy.From what ive seen land prices are only ever going up in value.

hello, be carefull who is selling any land, i purchased a plot many many years ago in dorset through a company like www perfect plot .co.uk or it might have changed name, check out now for sturminster marshall, even a friend of a local councillor bought 2 plots, who stated it is highly unlikely to ever get planning permission, it floods as near a river or has a high water table, if it was any good the adjacent golf couse would have purchased the whole area. was a moment of madness. :rolleyes: please take a look and let me know what you think,

You have confused me with the last part of your post.

"You probably won't qualify as an exempt retail investor and so can't invest in many products with a £10,000 ticket price."

What does that mean?

Not all investments are open to retail investors. Have a minimum investment size of £10,000 is an indicator that the investment is not meant for retail investors.

Retail = man in the street.

Exempt retail = HNW.

hello, be carefull who is selling any land, i purchased a plot many many years ago in dorset through a company like www perfect plot .co.uk or it might have changed name, check out now for sturminster marshall, even a friend of a local councillor bought 2 plots, who stated it is highly unlikely to ever get planning permission, it floods as near a river or has a high water table, if it was any good the adjacent golf couse would have purchased the whole area. was a moment of madness. :rolleyes: please take a look and let me know what you think,

Good area there , for ducks. I know that area well.

A pal of mine bought an acre off a very friendly chap years and years ago and decided to camp out in it in the summer,anyways there he was enjoying a beer and bbq when up roll a land rover with a very annoyed farmer wanting to know what the hell was going on,turns out my pal was conned good and proper and his land wasn't his at all and the only thing he truly owned was a 5 grand fancy piece of paper!The con man was never found.I'll have a gander at that site pigeonpopper.