Where to put 10k

billytheghillie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know much about this type of thing?

I know someone with a private bank and they get 10% return, but have to invest a substantial ammount.

Someone else reckons it's not possible!

Pigeon Watch gold there Lloyd, AVB is a investment banker iirc.

Explain please? (Genuine curiosity :yes: )

You have to be a qualified licenced IFA to give any sort of investment advice to a third party. That's since about five years ago when the regulations were tightened.

Before that it was only if the advisor personally gained from giving the advice but now its any advice, even informal or friendly advice because the regulations don't exclude it.

Edited by Vince Green

You have to be a qualified licenced IFA to give any sort of investment advice to a third party. That's since about five years ago when the regulations were tightened.

Before that it was only if the advisor personally gained from giving the advice but now its any advice, even informal or friendly advice because the regulations don't exclude it.

Cheers for the reply Vince. :good:

I think you need to chat to my friend in Nigeria, do you want me to pm his number to you? Just say.

Would that be Mr Abjumbo?.....if so I have already given him my bank details, very nice man, but thanks for the offer of your friends phone number. :good:

Anyone have experience of Peer-to-peer lending isa?

Be very careful of P2P if you're risk averse. The sorts of returns just don't align with the risk people, many of whom are not sophisticated investors or lack any real credit analysis skills, probably think they are taking (be especially careful if the P2P tries to ape the S&P/Moodys lettered rating scales as neither their methodologies nor probabilities of default are equivalent).

I have above average knowledge of finance and I wouldn't touch P2P with my money.

Edited by SxS

Had a lot of money in premium bonds for a lot of years, had one payout of a fiver and one of £20,i wouldn't suggest them as a means of making your money grow, your better off with a tax free isa

The problem, for some people, with a stocks and shares ISA is that your capital is at risk. You could, if you are forced to sell at the wrong time get back less than you invested. This is why they are seen as a long term investment as, over time, the increases will be greater and you can 'ride out' and dips.

The average return on premium bonds isn't great but there is a change for a greater return if you are lucky and at least your original investment is protected.

As I said earlier if you want a return greater than the rate on an average high street savings account then you will have to take a risk with your investment. Whether it be shares, bonds, classic cars, guns, gold etc. you are effectively gambling with your investment and if you can't afford to lose it then don't.

Also with inflation at 2% then you have to be earning at least 2% pa just to stay still.

If it was mine it would definitely go into Peer to Peer.

I am getting between 10/12% on 25K. Not saying which one I use but its never had any defaults from loans and its FSA approved.

Just keep on reinvesting the interest/completed loans and it soon starts adding up.

If it was mine it would definitely go into Peer to Peer.

I am getting between 10/12% on 25K. Not saying which one I use but its never had any defaults from loans and its FSA approved.

Just keep on reinvesting the interest/completed loans and it soon starts adding up.

Well from the little I have read about them they seem to-be no more risk than stocks and shares, been reading a bit about them here.....http://www.moneywise.co.uk/saving-banking/peer-to-peer