Trip to Ireland...Suggestions?

Longchalk

Am visiting some friends in Dublin in May, then planning to head South for a week, just mooching about in search of dramatic landscapes to photograph. Don't really imagine that should be too much of a problem in Ireland, but if anyone has any recommendations for good spots to check out around Cork, Kilarney, or Dingle etc, please fire away!

Cheers.

Wicklow has some cracking scenery you are heading south west also good if you have time work up the west coast, limerick , the burren in co Clair, plants only found in the tropics Galway city and bay also Connemara a lot of area where the quiet man was filmed good food good Guinness

Edited by Saltings

West coast has all the stunning coastal scenery.

Cork is very popular, as are Kerry, Clare and Galway.

If you want places that are a bit more 'the land that time forgot', then look into Mayo/Donegal. Some great scenery and a bit more off the beaten track. Prices are better also.

The 'Wild Atlantic Way' is something the tourist board has done up which as been very popular. A quick google will show some of the main points along the way.

Wicklow, where I live, has some really cracking desolate mountain scenery

Wicklow has some cracking scenery you are heading south west also good if you have time work up the west coast, limerick , the burren in co Clair, plants only found in the tropics Galway city and bay also Connemara a lot of area where the quiet man was filmed good food good Guinness

PLUS 1 , the burren is beautiful and wild in places, check out the burren centre , take the coast road to galway, Connemara, i have stayed in Ennistymon many many times, Lahinch at dusk and then pop in the pub :good: i could tell you something that happened to me while out on the burren but you might think i had too much guiness the night before :rolleyes:

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

West coast has all the stunning coastal scenery.

Cork is very popular, as are Kerry, Clare and Galway.

If you want places that are a bit more 'the land that time forgot', then look into Mayo/Donegal. Some great scenery and a bit more off the beaten track. Prices are better also.

The 'Wild Atlantic Way' is something the tourist board has done up which as been very popular. A quick google will show some of the main points along the way.

Wicklow, where I live, has some really cracking desolate mountain scenery

hello, a walk up sugar loaf mountain near wicklow is a great way to get some wonderfull views, many years ago i took a party of 42 people from oxford to wicklow for the annual walking weekend staying in the wicklow hostel, we went for 5 days as some had never visit the area before and everyone had a great time, including a visit to avoca area where they filmed a well known tv programme.

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

PLUS 1 , the burren is beautiful and wild in places, check out the burren centre , take the coast road to galway, Connemara, i have stayed in Ennistymon many many times, Lahinch at dusk and then pop in the pub :good: i could tell you something that happened to me while out on the burren but you might think i had too much guiness the night before :rolleyes:

Do tell. West coast lovely .... Tip town Hmm. ... Chap asked me at Blarney Castle if I would like to Kiss the Blarney stone after my daughter had done so.... I replied....... I have Kissed so many Ar... during my working life that if you think that I am going to kiss that bloody stone you can think again. American tourists in the queue behind speechless.

West coast and the more north west on it the better,,,be warned were an easy going lot so dont get flustered at the tractor sheep and dogs and if you come on a small road just big engough for a car pointing coastwards follow it no matter how rough it may be the hidden gem will be worth it......most of all enjoy relax and go with the flow....

The Cliffs of Moher are one of the top natural wonders of the world in my opinion.

If you think that Fella' you need to get yourself up to 'Slieve League' You will be Amazed.

To the OP. I know you are intent on heading South but I would also suggest like the 'Pet Shop Boy's' said Go West...!

I have worked and played and also followed Sport all over the Island and have been in every County with the exception of Cork and Waterford and I have seen very Little to compare with the West/NW of the Island. You could easily spend a whole week in My beloved County and not get bored. But the the coast of Mayo/Galway is also very nice and also the Coast road in NI is beautiful and one of my favourite drives on a nice day.

If you are intent on going South then 'Bray' Count Wicklow is very pretty and of course you have 'Mizen head" Irelands most southerly point as opposed to Malin head the most Northerly point which again is in Donegal. I believe the English actor 'Jeremy Iron's' lives near Mizen Head on a secluded part of the coast. You all know about Kerry and rightly so it lives up to its good press.If climbing Mountains is your thing then 'Croagh Patrick' will give ou spectacular views.

Other interesting things await if take a very short drive North from Dublin into Meath is The Boyne Valley and the the 'Newgrange prehistoric monument with a top class visitor centre.

But there is one County that has it all and that is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfJk1f0FS5M

Many thanks to all who have offered advice! It begins to sound as if the maxim 'Go West young man' (49 is still young, right?) might be the one to follow.

I shall sit down over the weekend with a small family glass of something and Google up on all your suggestions.

Cheers all.

Yep! drive out of Dublin head west towards Galway, I suggest your tour begins here! head north, use the coast roads through Connemara visit Clifden, Westport, Ballina (try the egg and chips at the cafolla cafe in the town!) then up to Sligo and on until you get to the NI border......

Then next year, go back to Eire again, this time head south from Galway taking in Dingle peninsula, Killarney, ring of Kerry where you can visit Molls gap, Ladies view, and the many towns and villages in between (and if it's still there? And I remember correctly? call in at the hardware(?) shop in The Main Street in Caherciveen for a Guinness! Lol!) then south over to Bantry and on to Cork....... then the following year, go back and do the east coast be sure to go to Wicklow!

......Had some wonderful trips chasing the "silver fellas" over there, but I have not been back since before Eire joined the EU, if it hasn't changed too much, it is a beautiful place, full of helpful, friendly folk.........try the Smithwicks as an alternative to the Guinness........but go easy on the Jameson's chasers Lol!

It is all beautiful, Klonakilty area & village & Michael Collins museums worth a visit, "An Sugan " restaurant for good food, back via Bandon,Kilmichael & Beal nam, Blaugh (I think spelling is right)ambush sites. Try the local black pudding I think made of sheep's blood.,

Spinning for Bass near the O'Sullivan walk I stopped to talk with a Kerryman, he had a split dog lead with a Kerry blue & a toy poodle, I had a Rappala hooked in the bottom ring of the Bass rod, the young Kerry Blue jumped up & hooked himself neatly through the nostril & pulled the lure free the dog was too excited to do anything other than wrap the lure to his jaw & the owner headed off to the Vets,I bet very few lures have been lost like that !

Travelled the west a fair bit, the part that stands out is Clew bay and Westport fantastic area, had many nights in Omallys shop and bar on Clare island but that was a very long time ago

Ordered sea food chowder here,followed by mussels & chips, both courses came at once,shovelled my chowder down as my mussels cooled ! first thing we saw after leaving the ferry was a car sans exhaust or bumpers picking someone up from the boat.

Ordered sea food chowder here,followed by mussels & chips, both courses came at once,shovelled my chowder down as my mussels cooled ! first thing we saw after leaving the ferry was a car sans exhaust or bumpers picking someone up from the boat.

It was 40yrs ago when i was there (clare) I got a lift over with a fishing boat, helped them unload a full cargo of sheep first, stayed in a b&b near the harbour with the instruction that when I turned off the last light the gennie goes off, mind I was in the pub until the early hours, the owner of the bb had an old jag also sans most bits, many years later stayed next door to the Helm inn Westport many late nights as well......funny Ireland seems to be about fishing and beer... :yes:

hello, as i mention have been to Co Clare many times, my first trip was to the Lisdoonvarna match making festival, had a great time and asked the hotel if there was any trout fishing available, well on having dinner the owner came a said be ready at 8 am, so the next day a car came and picked me up and took me to this beautifull lake where i met all the other fellow club fishermen, if you look on the map it is just above Ennistymon, It is the very long lake with an island, hence to say i had a few hours boat fishing but most i met some wonderfull irish fellow fisherman and they would not take any money for the lift/fishing etc. in fact i enjoyed it so much that one of the chaps called paul invited me back and at the end of my stay said come again and stay with him and wife mary , so i joined the club and went back 4/5 times for many many years until both became to frail to stay with them, thats how i know the area even having a bike lent me to get around, i have never met such kind people in my 50s and very happy memories.

hello, as i mention have been to Co Clare many times, my first trip was to the Lisdoonvarna match making festival, had a great time and asked the hotel if there was any trout fishing available, well on having dinner the owner came a said be ready at 8 am, so the next day a car came and picked me up and took me to this beautifull lake where i met all the other fellow club fishermen, if you look on the map it is just above Ennistymon, It is the very long lake with an island, hence to say i had a few hours boat fishing but most i met some wonderfull irish fellow fisherman and they would not take any money for the lift/fishing etc. in fact i enjoyed it so much that one of the chaps called paul invited me back and at the end of my stay said come again and stay with him and wife mary , so i joined the club and went back 4/5 times for many many years until both became to frail to stay with them, thats how i know the area even having a bike lent me to get around, i have never met such kind people in my 50s and very happy memories.

that day i mentione decided to go for a walk to the burren, a beautifull summer mornng i took the hill road out of Ennistymon and followed the old road into the burren for quite a few miles toward a quarry, someone i am sure will know where i mean, any how on reaching a small old bridge a elderly irish man was resting so we exchanged words of what a lovely morning with birds singing and it was good to enjoy etc etc i stood there a while chatting to this man in his sunday best with a true irish accent then bid him farewell and carried on walking taking in the beautiful views and only gone 100 yards when i looked around the gentleman was no where to been seen. the road was straight, the fields were flat and i stood there thinking :hmm: now that was strange or words to that effect, make of it what you will but i was sober ha ha and he was there i could have shook his hand.

well youve gone to far not to explain, the Burren is a magical place, did it involve a short person dressed in green ?

edit to say you answered before my question !

Edited by islandgun

that day i mentione decided to go for a walk to the burren, a beautifull summer mornng i took the hill road out of Ennistymon and followed the old road into the burren for quite a few miles toward a quarry, someone i am sure will know where i mean, any how on reaching a small old bridge a elderly irish man was resting so we exchanged words of what a lovely morning with birds singing and it was good to enjoy etc etc i stood there a while chatting to this man in his sunday best with a true irish accent then bid him farewell and carried on walking taking in the beautiful views and only gone 100 yards when i looked around the gentleman was no where to been seen. the road was straight, the fields were flat and i stood there thinking :hmm: now that was strange or words to that effect, make of it what you will but i was sober ha ha and he was there i could have shook his hand.

since then i contacted the Burren centre who looked into this going back 100s of years but could not come up with any answer :innocent:

note the match making festival is still going and having met willy daley and his family keeping up a true irish tradition in lissdoonvarna end of september early october his fame is world wide