Kitchen Knives

Cosd

Now now :lol:

I was cutting my through turnips and squashes with wet hands and trying to grip the sodding handle with a death grip. Soon as I got cramp once everytime I tried to hold the same knife cramp again. Much bigger handle all fine, my hands are larger than normal.

A Kitchen Devil carving knife from Tesco is about £6, set about it with a diamond sharpener and it will be as good a knife as you could possibly need. No matter what else you do it is a good idea to put one in the drawer anyway.

I do appreciate the qualities of an expensive knife too, Japanese knives can have that quality. My current favourite is KAI

I have Global which are great, Wusthoff which are also excellent, Chroma which are good but difficult to get an edge on and sabatier which are fine and stand up to abuse from other family members. If I was buying a matching set from scratch I'd struggle to look past Global, but I don't worry about matching I just buy the best I can find for the job.

had my globals for several years now and despite being trained as a butcher when i was young(30 years younger) i was struggling to get a decent edge on them with a steel, brought a chefs choice 110 electric sharpener from amazon and now i could use them to shave with, to be fair i think the electric sharpener would put a razor edge on any old knife i had in under a minuite, highly reccomended bit of kit regardless of what knives you may have or want to buy

Electric sharpener sounds interesting, does it eat knives?

I have Global which are great, Wusthoff which are also excellent, Chroma which are good but difficult to get an edge on and sabatier which are fine and stand up to abuse from other family members. If I was buying a matching set from scratch I'd struggle to look past Global, but I don't worry about matching I just buy the best I can find for the job.

Electric sharpener sounds interesting, does it eat knives?

this sharpener gets good reviews

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/131137-The-Work-Sharp-Knife-amp-Tool-Sharpener-Ken-Onion-Edition?highlight=Onion

Judge/Sabatier - joint named not sure if still the same - have been in use here for 10yrs. Easy to sharpen with a steel even with my wife who blunts every knife she touches. Only criticism is the rubber(ish) and alloy handle. If you chuck knife in a bowl of washing up water the blade always sits sharp side up. We have both cut fingers dozens of times and it's always my fault coz I sharpen knives!!

Sabatier is like ACME, a generic term for a French cooking knife, some of the cheapest French knives are called Sabatier. A true Sabatier has another name in front of it and provenance to the thiers cutlery making region of france, mine is a proper Sabatier, is 20 years old and is like new.

Edited by wandringstar

Glass and Granite chopping boards.

Which knobber invented those?

Why dont folk think what is happening to their expensive knifes.

My late Grandmother had big cheap Bread knifes, they were sharpened on the window sill in the back yard. When the house was sold the new owners had to replace the sill after 60 odd years of sharpening it looked like old steps,a third gone.

She never owned a board, she held the loaf under her arm when cutting slices off.

I still miss her.

How sweet, made me think of my gran and she has been gone a long time now.

Interesting thread. I'm a keen amateur cook, and nothing special, but I do use my two main kitchen knives every day (8" and 6").

They (and a set I bought recently) are all Berghof Gourmet Line. They are heavy, but well-balanced, and make short work of anything that comes their way, even big cold swedes. I keep them sharp enough with a little Kitchen Devil sharpening wheel that must be 15 years old, and that set-up does me fine.

For carving at the table, however, I've got a beautiful Sheffield set from the 1930s/40s. A bit of flex to the blade and an edge like a razor - I love it.

LS

I like globals but dont get on with the handles.

My father has a few shun permiers which are beautiful, hold a lovely edge, and are a pleasure to use.

I have a tesco finest chefs knife that is my go to though, the handle is perfect, tip not too high, hard enough to hold an edge very well but soft enough it sharpens up easily, never been tempted to get something else. A few years ago they were selling ones in a european style but of steel slightly less hard than the global stuff and for me i think they found perfection. I also have a boning and paring knife of the same lot.

I like globals but dont get on with the handles.

My father has a few shun permiers which are beautiful, hold a lovely edge, and are a pleasure to use.

I have a tesco finest chefs knife that is my go to though, the handle is perfect, tip not too high, hard enough to hold an edge very well but soft enough it sharpens up easily, never been tempted to get something else. A few years ago they were selling ones in a european style but of steel slightly less hard than the global stuff and for me i think they found perfection. I also have a boning and paring knife of the same lot.

I'd be a bit of a foodie and pretty serious home cook/baker and also rate the Tesco finest or go cook range. Knife skill's come with time and I can chop an onion in seconds either diced or sliced wafer thin depending what I using it for. I also have a few Sabatier's mini clever ect. I also recently got a mini chef knife by stellar "James martin range" that I'm liking at the minute.I use a red devil knife for paring veg and one tip is that I never cut tomatoes with my cooking knives and always use a serrated blade like forever sharp.

The Thomas token ones are ****. If I was getting a new knife and could justify the money it would be Kin knife.

Old hickory are cheap and easy to sharpen. 1095 steel, rusts if not cared for but can put a scalpel edge on one with the bottom of a mug. Smaller ones are great steak knives, and they do larger ones for hefty jobs. Can buy a set of several for less than cost of a shun,and to be fair, shun are superb, but old hickory will do the job.

I bought a set of Jean Partridge knives a few year back, after using my ex girlfriends in the kitchen at hers! I was impressed with the balance, and the quality of the blade edge! They sharpen extremely well with just a steel. I had a set of knives I bought from John Lewis that went in the after I bought the Jean Partridge ones.

I have had Robert Welch knives for a 5 or so years now, they have been brilliant. I have a pairing knife, a 20cm kitchen knife, and a santoku knife (Although I don't use this one, as I find it too big).

When in the shop they told me to buy the below sharpener, so I did, it's been brilliant too, just run the knife through it a few times, every few times of using it, and they come up as sharp as new.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ozitech-Diamond-Fingers-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00KDLB64U

Cheers

Hayden

I never use a serrated tomato knife,my wife will one in the drawer. If a knife won't cut a tomato into as thin a slice as you want it ain't sharp.

True, but that's not the point I was making. It is said 'whither true or not' that the acid in tomatoes blunt knives. All my knifes are on a magnetic knife rack on front of where I prepare food so when I'm cutting a tomato for whatever reason I tend to reach for a serrated blade.That is not saying my other knives won't cut a tomato with relative ease.