out of proof shotgun regulations

Robyray

My understanding is that it's OK to give or receive but cannot be sold.

Obviously it is assumed that you have a current shotgun certificate.

I hope this advice is correct and apologise if not.

OB

An out of proof gun can be resleved but whether it's worth the £400 ish cost is up to you, it may not add any cost at all. Just make a scrap piece of tubing into a usable tool.

It will all depend of course the value of the gun in the first place.

An put of proof Hatsan for example would be scrapped.

For how long are proof marks valid? I didn't realise they had an expiration date

Along side the proof marks will be an internal barrel measurement, this measurement is usually taken about 9 inches from the breech, once this measurement is exceeded by IIRC 10 thou or more then the barrel is out of proof, also, and adding to this, there is a minimum barrel wall thickness to be adhered to too.

There are other factors too but these are the usual main culprits.

Edited by Paul223

thank you lads.

what I mean by good condition is the gun from my point of view has been very very well looked after, the action is tight, the bores /barrels are clean and pitting free, the auto safety and ejectors work, its just the fact that at some point he was told its out of proof,

so thank you to the persons who replied with a useful comments and helpful facts

Roby

thank you lads.

what I mean by good condition is the gun from my point of view has been very very well looked after, the action is tight, the bores /barrels are clean and pitting free, the auto safety and ejectors work, its just the fact that at some point he was told its out of proof,

so thank you to the persons who replied with a useful comments and helpful facts

Roby

You'd have to get it measured/ assessed to know for sure, unfortunately there are some unscrupulous folk who would say the gun is out of proof in the hope the owner hands it in!

My grandfather had an old back action, underlever 16 bore hammer gun that he used to Very good effect. The Damascus barrels that were originally black proofed were so thin at the muzzle end that they could have been used for cutting out fibre wads. Although the barrels were originally black proofed he was using Eley Grand Prix nitro in it. I think that if the heart attack hadn't have got him the Eley Grand Prix and the Damascus would have. None of the old boys back years ago took much notice of stuff like this. A mate's uncle had a gun on the tractor and it fell off into the grass finger mower. The barrel got a bit mangled and there was a torn hole in one of the barrels​. The gun was taken into the local village garage and a bit of rod put up the barrel and the area was just beaten out level and the hole was brazed up. Worked a treat. The gun had a different sound when fired. The gun was of a good quality and eventually after about fifty years after the accident my mate decided to have the gun resleeved.looks nice but it doesn't shoot any better than before.

Edited by fortune

thank you lads.

Roby

Check the marks and age. It might just be black powder proofed. If so that would legally put it out of proof. I have an Army & Navy 16 gauge which when I acquired it was black powder proofed. My gunsmith gave it a 95% chance of passing proof, so he tightened it up and it passed with flying colours.

Sensible thing is to visit with a gunsmith of repute. I say this because I acquired mine after a Birmingham gunsmith had told a friend of mine that the gun was scrap and he would dispose of it for him. Sensibly he declined and passed it on to me. That was over 40yrs ago and I still give it an airing occasionally.

Check the marks and age. It might just be black powder proofed. If so that would legally put it out of proof.

That isn't correct if taken literally. If it is proofed for black powder and the physical structure and barrel wall thickness are not out of tolerance then it is proved for black powder. It isn't illegal to use it with suitable black powder loads. It's only when nitro loads push the structure of the gun and it is stressed beyond the limits of its manufacture that problems occur.

Edited by fortune

That isn't correct if taken literally. If it is proofed for black powder and the physical structure and barrel wall thickness are not out of tolerance then it is proved for black powder. It isn't illegal to use it with suitable black powder loads. It's only when nitro loads push the structure of the gun and it is stressed beyond the limits of its manufacture that problems occur.

+1

Technically, there is no such thing in law as an out of proof shotgun, simply because as others have said there is no definition. A shotgun is a shotgun, it may not be proofed for modern cartridges but that does not render it out of proof.

It may have bulges or dents in which case you would be stupid to use it but out or proof?

As Walker570 says it is usually something dealers say to scare customers. A shotgun is in proof until it fails proof and then you don't get it back anyway.

But you have to use a bit of common sense about whether you want to shoot some of them. Many guns go loose, triggers wear out, that's not out of proof but it is clapped

Edited by Vince Green

Technically, there is no such thing in law as an out of proof shotgun, simply because as others have said there is no definition. A shotgun is a shotgun, it may not be proofed for modern cartridges but that does not render it out of proof.

It may have bulges or dents in which case you would be stupid to use it but out or proof?

As Walker570 says it is usually something dealers say to scare customers. A shotgun is in proof until it fails proof and then you don't get it back anyway.

But you have to use a bit of common sense about whether you want to shoot some of them. Many guns go loose, triggers wear out, that's not out of proof but it is clapped

A gun is out of proof if the bores have worn 10 tho from the original proof measurement.

A loos or dented barrel may not be out of proof but is dangerous and may require proofing after repair.