Road Kills

marsh man

now that would have been interesting...................

Yes it certainly would , the chap I was referring to was Robin Harrison who used to write in the E D P under the pen name of Robin .

Apparently he travelled on stretch of road every day of his life , this was a while ago, and with more traffic nowadays I would have thought the total of wild life road accidents would be more now than when he was writing about.

Not wanting to trump any of the road kills mentioned I may be able to claim seeing the largest ever dead animal on the road.

About fifteen years ago I was on holiday in Western France when the area was hit by a large storm off the Atlantic. Two days on from the storm I was driving through a wooded area to the beach when I was confronted by a whale taking up all of the road. The whale had been washed up on the beach by the storm and the local council workers had been sent to dispose of it. A JCB type machine had loaded it onto a large lorry with high sides and as the driver headed for a disposal site somewhere inland the creature had simply slithered off the lorry without the driver noticing.

Been collecting badgers for the defra road kill survey, so only fresh ones. In the last 8 ish months half a dozen of use have picked up about 135 in east sussex.

We probably get around 15 deer a month in and thats just what the council pick up.

Not wanting to trump any of the road kills mentioned I may be able to claim seeing the largest ever dead animal on the road.

About fifteen years ago I was on holiday in Western France when the area was hit by a large storm off the Atlantic. Two days on from the storm I was driving through a wooded area to the beach when I was confronted by a whale taking up all of the road. The whale had been washed up on the beach by the storm and the local council workers had been sent to dispose of it. A JCB type machine had loaded it onto a large lorry with high sides and as the driver headed for a disposal site somewhere inland the creature had simply slithered off the lorry without the driver noticing.

I think a Whale is going to be a strong contender for the most unusual creature found on the road Mr JDog , Thanks for sharing.

Been collecting badgers for the defra road kill survey, so only fresh ones. In the last 8 ish months half a dozen of use have picked up about 135 in east sussex.

We probably get around 15 deer a month in and thats just what the council pick up.

Are these to or can they be tested for TB

I see many road kill deer on my patch in Norfolk . Norfolk is over run with deer and they are becoming a real problem as far as running out onto the roads . A few years ago a well known farmer local to my patch was killed by a deer that had run out of the woods and was hit by his Range Rover . The deer a fallow Buck went through the windscreen and caused him to crash and roll over ,a terrible tragedy.

Harnser

I see many road kill deer on my patch in Norfolk . Norfolk is over run with deer and they are becoming a real problem as far as running out onto the roads . A few years ago a well known farmer local to my patch was killed by a deer that had run out of the woods and was hit by his Range Rover . The deer a fallow Buck went through the windscreen and caused him to crash and roll over ,a terrible tragedy.

Harnser

do you know that is EXCACTLY the same thing happened to my mates brother 25-30 years ago....coming thro Hainford on the aylsham road....as a result my mate stopped being a shepard and had to take over the family shoe buissness............

We bolted a roe buck while out the the dogs it went across a busy country road only a white van on it at the time , he only swerved to hit the buck he kept on going and the buck was laying under the hedge on the other side , he had only bruised it and it made fine eating

do you know that is EXCACTLY the same thing happened to my mates brother 25-30 years ago....coming thro Hainford on the aylsham road....as a result my mate stopped being a shepard and had to take over the family shoe buissness............

The incident that I am talking about happend not more than 3 miles from the accident that you are talking about . Lots of deer in that area ..when I drive through the woods along the a140 in that area I am always looking out for deer running across the road .HARNSER

The incident that I am talking about happend not more than 3 miles from the accident that you are talking about . Lots of deer in that area ..when I drive through the woods along the a140 in that area I am always looking out for deer running across the road .HARNSER

i shoot at stratton strawless...near there...............every where i go i see red deer slots........yet i have never seen any deer up there cept the odd munti....

i shoot at stratton strawless...near there...............every where i go i see red deer slots........yet i have never seen any deer up there cept the odd munti....

I was driving down serpentine lane only two days ago and 6 fallow bucks walked across the road in front of me .

Harnser

Old dear in my village feeds her staffie entirely on roadkill. Fattest dog for miles. This week between Driffield and Beverley which is about 10 miles we've had a roe, a badger, 2 foxes and countless pheasants but all seem to be cocks. Any rabbits seem to get cleaned up by the corvids almost immediately and with the good weather all the haylage has been cut so they are everywhere.

GG