single trig SxS recommendation

ips

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant find any alternative to the parabello so far not sub 5k anyway. Am I missing anything as surely there are other new or nearly new single trig sxs out there..?

Is there any particular reason you want a single trigger? My first gun was s/t and both I and many of my friends had never shot d/t guns until I bought one.

I liken it to moving from a manual to automatic gearbox. Takes a bit of getting used to at first (few hours) then after that it becomes pretty easy to switch between the two.

My personal preference now is s/t for semi-pistol stocked guns and d/t for straight hand. I did think about getting a 486 straight hand (there are some lovely ones around) but have held off solely to avoid having a s/t s/h in the cabinet and confusing myself!

I may give in at some point as the 486 is a really good gun. I've had a 28" semi-pistol for a couple of years now and it's the gun I use most. So far it's had around 20,000 rounds through it and, aside from a problem when new (quickly remedied by GMK) with it not giving the 2nd barrel, has been absolutely faultless. Gets a lot of positive feedback from other shooters too.

The only things I don't like about it are that the:

1) Stocks are short (for me) and Beretta only make plastic extensions which do spoil the look of the gun. I don't know whether Beretta offer a custom stock option but it might be worth an ask.

2) Standard chokes are notched for keys/identification. Teagues are available that are friction keyed and make the front of the barrels look tidier. Nothing fundamentally wrong with the factory chokes but when I wanted some different constrictions I went Teague.

Given the limited range of new s/t guns it doesn't surprise me that nobody's asked what you want it for yet so I'll point out that it's heavier than other SxS guns (at least mine is vs the s/h guns I have). I don't know if the s/h version is too, but worth checking as if it is it wouldn't be my first choice for walked up days. Of course the flip side is that it handles slightly heavier loads better than a very light gun would, which obviously makes it better if you're doing a lot of clays or the high stuff.

Good and valid info.

The reason I want a st is that after thirty odd years I cannot get used to the dt on mu current sxs having said that perhaps I would if I knuckled down and shot it more. Swapping between st and dt I assumed long term could remain an issue so was just trying to make the transition easier.

I don't shoot clays very often these days so on thinking about it perhaps it is in reality no issue at all.

As an aside I have a lovely 687eell diamond pigeon but I have never really settled with it. Perhaps I should chop that in and maybe something else and get a really nice sxs.

ips

Just checked and Chapuis can do a side by side straight hand stock with a single trigger.

I think that it`s also within your top end budget of £5k.

OB

See Post #19. You can add a choice of fixed choke, stock length, barrel length and a choice of two (there's actually 4 but in all probability 2 can be ignored) stock drop (comb/heel) measurements all before you start talking about cost options

See Post #19. You can add a choice of fixed choke, stock length, barrel length and a choice of two (there's actually 4 but in all probability 2 can be ignored) stock drop (comb/heel) measurements all before you start talking about cost options

Sorry Wymberley, didn`t mean to override your post, just didn`t see it.

OB

Sorry Wymberley, didn`t mean to override your post, just didn`t see it.

OB

Absolutely no problem. To be honest, I was really writing to bring to the OP's attention the range of no cost options that are on offer. I've just taken up that advantage and bought one albeit an OU. Apart from a problem I'm having regarding choke in one barrel which can be read elsewhere and is only there to be solved, I'm absolutely delighted with my purchase

Edited by wymberley

I just instinctively move my finger back or forward depending on the choked barrel I wish to use.Never have to think or fumble it just happens.Then again all my guns are double trigger.

+1. "It just happens" sums it up precisely. I've also always had double triggers but when also having the self loader there was no problem switching from one gun to the other.

This may be a stupid question but here goes.

When using a double trigger is the correct way to reach for the second trigger or actually slide the hand along the grip. ???

I personally move my hand slightly back on the stock, so the first trigger is on the real tip of my finger, then just let the finger drop on the second trigger.

However, on many double trigger, you will get the 'kick' of the gun wacking the first trigger in the front of your index finger when pressing the second. I now wear a piece of electrical tape there when I shoot SxS, as I've had days where it was drawing blood after a little while.

Good luck finding a Winchester Model 21...... Model 23's on the other hand are plentiful:

That's the one I meant the 23 :good:

Never have a problem with double triggers but have been known when picking up a single trigger not long after, trying to shoot the second barrel by pulling the trigger guard :lol:

Edited by figgy

I can use my double trigger but I find myself fumbling to get a "quick" second shot off.

I suppose its just down to practice. I like the idea of dt as I like the tradition of a "propper English game gun"

To me shooting game with an OU is like shooting game in a new fangled gortex shooting jacket as opposed to tweed. Yes it works and yes its possibly better for the job but it just ain't tweed and it just isn't right

I personally move my hand slightly back on the stock, so the first trigger is on the real tip of my finger, then just let the finger drop on the second trigger.

However, on many double trigger, you will get the 'kick' of the gun wacking the first trigger in the front of your index finger when pressing the second. I now wear a piece of electrical tape there when I shoot SxS, as I've had days where it was drawing blood after a little while.

Buze - I use my light sxs on the clays quite a bit and used to get this very problem, even when shooting 24g. After faffing about with a plaster each time I now use one of these on my index finger!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-BLACK-SWEATBAND-FINGER-SUPPORT-BRACE-SPORT-GYM-SLEEVE-SUPPORT-ARTHRITIS-NHS-UK-/331811553702?hash=item4d418281a6:g:Di0AAOxyni9TAz2v

Some of the more expensive guns have articulated front triggers to alleviate this.

Ah! Beaten by seconds above.

I can use my double trigger but I find myself fumbling to get a "quick" second shot off.

I suppose its just down to practice. I like the idea of dt as I like the tradition of a "propper English game gun"

To me shooting game with an OU is like shooting game in a new fangled gortex shooting jacket as opposed to tweed. Yes it works and yes its possibly better for the job but it just ain't tweed and it just isn't right

Spoken like a true Englishman.

Off to the clay range mid-week when there's few others about. Take 104 cartridges. Shoot 50 pairs/doubles, 25 front to back and 25 back to front. Load up and shoot the last four and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Edit: post amended

Edited by wymberley

As has been said, some guns have articulated triggers to alleviate this, but another problem, often when the stock is too short, is for the middle finger (3rd.digit) to get a clout from the rear of the trigger guard on firing the first trigger. Special rubber protectors are sold to overcome this, or at least to stop any bruising. A single trigger as required by the OP will of course obviate all these problems if he cannot get used to double triggers.

OB