Root beer

winnie&bezza

Evening all.

Always wanted to try it after hearing Americans ask for it on tv shows etc and I finally tried it yesterday after buying a bottle from Aldi. Well I should of just bought a bottle of listerine as that what the contents of the bottle smelled and tasted like 🤢, literally. It was only the cheap stuff from Aldi which makes me think that proper root beer probably tasted a tad different? Opinions please.

Yes strange tastes over there, Grits ( as used to stick wallpaper up), Suckotash (as in Sufferin!) bacon & maple syrup,nicer thank I expected,french toast, nice,til they insist on sprinkling sugar on. The list is endless ,. Any favourites?

Had the A&W stuff from a A&W burger bar in Kuta Beach in Bali a few times.

They serve it in iced glass tankards taken from a freezer. Lovely. Nice serving wenches too.

Never knew Aldi did a root beer. Will have a look.

Used to love the Asda stocked one, back when they used to sell it in two litre bottles; made in the UK by Graingers of Burton on Trent?

Now it's in a 6-pack of 330ml cans for about £1.65 - but the 2litre one just seemed better.

Got a taste for root beer when McDonalds had in on draught....them were the days!!

Tried the Bundaberg one in New Zealand. Ok but overpriced.

Look in your local Chinese supermarkets - it's a common item to find there - though prices can very a lot; still way cheaper for US brands than the generic US Candy Store(?) chain at almost £2 a can.

Used to get it online by the tray from an internet based suppliers. Again, cheaper than High Street options, but not as much the case now since the Asda option for UK made root beer.....but the online one was for US brands, of which there are a few!

Edited by saddler

Yes strange tastes over there, Grits ( as used to stick wallpaper up), Suckotash (as in Sufferin!) bacon & maple syrup,nicer thank I expected,french toast, nice,til they insist on sprinkling sugar on. The list is endless ,. Any favourites?

pickled eggs .. :good::good:

Just got some from Aldi.

She who's never wrong reminds me I had some last year....so another pleasure that's only available annually (Aldi stocking this seems to be tied in to their American 1776 Brexit Day celebration theme)

Will grab a few more bottles while it's still around

Just got some from Aldi.

She who's never wrong reminds me I had some last year....so another pleasure that's only available annually (Aldi stocking this seems to be tied in to their American 1776 Brexit Day celebration theme)

Will grab a few more bottles while it's still around

Some people have weird tastes 🤔

It's a marmite drink - I absolutely love it and despise McDonalds for dropping it off the menu (a minute's silence also for The McRib, McD's individual pizza and the Cappucino milkshake)

A and W is the real deal, but MUG is a close second - Bundaberg is vomit in a bottle.

The Asda ones aren't bad, but a bit thin

Whenever I travel to the US I bring back a six pack or two.

I brew a fair bit and have tried to make it, but the ingredient list and prep is absolutely mental

Ooh!

The days of Villa Pop vans & dandelion/burdock, cream soda, etc

I remember when we had several independent soft drink manufacturers all providing a wide range of flavours. Now we have various colas and others from multi nationals, not the same.

Blackpowder

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love root beer when Macdonald's first started over here they sold it. Bundaberg do it too. Asda have cans of it but it's very sweet.

Love that germolene taste of it mmmm. Sasparilla is supposed to be root beer too. Never found it to be the full on root beer flavour.