Ugly house

AVB

I live in an ugly house. I mean real ugly. Imagine a house spawned from the loins of Corbyn and Abbot and that's my house. Anyway I was wondering whether weatherboarding it would soften the ugliness. However, the house has a relatively low pitch roof and I am worried that the weatherboarding wouldn't go well with the roof. Any ideas how I can get a an idea of how it would look like? Is there any software I can use to modify a picture to see what the effect would be like? I know there is photoshop but I have no idea if that could do such a thing.

Cheers.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have searched google as I'm sure there are all sorts of programs now for what your after. If the roof pitch won't go have you looked at modern coloured renders, some are very nice.

You could post a pic of your house and let the knowledge of pigeonwatch loose.

I live in an ugly house. I mean real ugly. Imagine a house spawned from the loins of Corbyn and Abbot and that's my house. Anyway I was wondering whether weatherboarding it would soften the ugliness. However, the house has a relatively low pitch roof and I am worried that the weatherboarding wouldn't go well with the roof. Any ideas how I can get a an idea of how it would look like? Is there any software I can use to modify a picture to see what the effect would be like? I know there is photoshop but I have no idea if that could do such a thing.

Cheers.

I'm in exactly the same situation, we live in the farm house, the farm has been in the village since domesday, but got moved about 25 years ago, so we're in a comfortably sized but fugly 80's architect built monster.

I've looked at cedar cladding, which I reckon will look great, as we have timber outcrops and bay windows with timber.

We had a quote the other day when we had new windows put in, but no computer image of how it would look.

Put weather boarding on mine, then Council Plod turned up and told me I needed planning permission so I applied. Planning Officer turned out and quickly assessed by me as a potential Corbyn supporter. Turned it down as did the Liberal council although I had close to 80 letters of support. Two appeals later it had to come off. Now it looks a real mess, but if that's how they want it fair do's. It is very nice inside and that's where we live. SO, be aware you might need planning consent.

Try cement board.

You may require planning permission if you are altering main fabric of house.

Put weather boarding on mine, then Council Plod turned up and told me I needed planning permission so I applied. Planning Officer turned out and quickly assessed by me as a potential Corbyn supporter. Turned it down as did the Liberal council although I had close to 80 letters of support. Two appeals later it had to come off. Now it looks a real mess, but if that's how they want it fair do's. It is very nice inside and that's where we live. SO, be aware you might need planning consent.

Try cement board.

You may require planning permission if you are altering main fabric of house.

Ha Ha,same time post.

Can I ask what made you buy it in the first place?

I mean- most have us have done ugly before at some point, but after paying the cab fair home we put it behind us.

We were desperate to find somewhere and it was time critical with school moves etc. It's ticks all the boxes and we have renovated inside so it meets our needs. Other than looking ugly. The garages at the front are an easy solution. They will go and be moved sideways on down the drive.

Already a nice house which would improve with weatherboarding in my view, certainly the top half down to the level of the front extension. Make it look warmer and of course does add to the insulation.

The garages are a bit naff but if you did move them say down on the left side of the drive between those ?laurels? you may again come up against planning .... building line etc. I assume the garages don't go under the house structure ??

Edited by Walker570

I really like that. Am I missing something? That really considered ugly?

I think its a smashing looking place and I tend to think that he is just showing off finding an excuse to put up a photo of his great big white house like these people who go on that TV show looking for houses in the country but they never buy one its all just a ploy to get on TV and say look at me I must be good if I can afford to buy a big house like this. :yes::no::yes:

Edited by four-wheel-drive