Ugly house

AVB

I think its a smashing looking place and I tend to think that he is just showing off finding an excuse to put up a photo of his great big white house like these people who go on that TV show looking for houses in the country but they never buy one its all just a ploy to get on TV and say look at me I must be good if I can afford to buy a big house like this. :yes::no::yes:

Don't be a ****. It's not big and it's not fancy.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Already a nice house which would improve with weatherboarding in my view, certainly the top half down to the level of the front extension. Make it look warmer and of course does add to the insulation.

The garages are a bit naff but if you did move them say down on the left side of the drive between those ?laurels? you may again come up against planning .... building line etc. I assume the garages don't go under the house structure ??

No you will see from the other picture that there is a gap between the house and the garages. I may face a problem with planning but the good thing is that there is right mix of houses in the lane so nobody could argue that they are not in keeping with the area etc.

If they are uPVC windows then they can be powder coated.

A real fugly house in our village had it done - doors and windows a nice dark grey against the white of the house and had the sealed units replaced removing the "georgian" bars.

The house now looks great.

Can't wait to show the wife your ugly house??

I would say the front door doesn't match the size of the palace (place ha ha) doesn't look nearly grand enough, windows and frames don't do it any favours.

Thinking a primrose colour instead of the white could look good, once repainted the inlaws house while they were away, it totally changed the look of the house.

I actually like it as it's a good example of the style of that era. As others have said change the windows, back to the large pane windows it would have originally had and painted. With little work that house could look even better.

Can't wait to see munglers fugly abode, be just like his cars actually very nice if a little dated. Mungler I hope you've put a Rolex clock like you see at sporting venues in your garden.

Edited by figgy

Not sure if this is working, but here goes....

14nv2c.jpg

Alright, that does apppear to be working.

That's a picture of the 3 bed house we bought April 2014 and as taken from still existing Google streetview images (which haven't been updated by Google yet).

I'll try and grab the after / now photo if time and technology allow - that whole Photobucket packing in image hosting is a right pain, I digress.

And before four wheel drive jumps in - a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears went into the refurb and we (as a family of 5) lived in it and through it, throughout; I'm pleased with the end result and it shows what you can do with a standard boring 1970s gaff.

Edited by Mungler

Powder coated dark coloured aluminium windows, new door loose the hanging baskets and smooth render and its done (apart from roof tiles) The contrast between render and windows is key. I would not stick tat (cladding) to the outside the architecture is what it is and sticking lipstick on it wont help.

Not sure if this is working, but here goes....

14nv2c.jpg

Alright, that does apppear to be working.

That's a picture of the 3 bed house we bought April 2014 and as taken from still existing Google streetview images (which haven't been updated by Google yet).

I'll try and grab the after / now photo if time and technology allow - that whole Photobucket packing in image hosting is a right pain, I digress.

And before four wheel drive jumps in - a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears went into the refurb and we (as a family of 5) lived in it and through it, throughout; I'm pleased with the end result and it shows what you can do with a standard boring 1970s gaff.

I like that too! You guys need to reassess your opinion of ugly. That's right up my street (not literally).

Ah, but it's not exactly pretty or with classical lines :lol:

I think we should have another thread of 'pretty' houses.

Lacks imagination in the design but i guess it works well as a house. You do wonder at times who designs these things. The cladding and the window layout let alone flat gable end on.

Lets see the after picture i think you could do a lot with it.

We bought an old late 40's bungalow and rebuilt it but there is not a lot we can do to the outside. It's on a covenant from the Duchy and they get a say in all that we do. Originally would not let us change the door or chimneys or the windows from white to black. We agreed the door and windows and after we took away the internal walls we managed to agree the chimney's.

house.pnghouse_2.jpg

I'm at work, so I've only got a pic of part of the back of the house, but it gives you an idea, red brick, PVC windows, the patio is ridiculous as the garden was made smaller, so the 3rd rule is all out of kilter. The part to the left I've missed out, is the same as the right, so its perfectly symmetrical, must of took the architect 10 minutes to draw it.

I'll post a pic of the front when i get home.

post-19934-0-51396200-1502958153_thumb.jpg