Roe Buck

ShootingEgg

Went to feed the pheasants tonight and then to sit in the high seat for a few hours. Hoping to catch out a old vixen and Mabye a cub or two. I made it to the high seat and just as I sat down a doe and fawn emerged from the woods about 200 yards from the seat. I happily watched these for about fifteen minutes go about there business. I then looked over the two fields to my right and saw another roe grazing. Up went the binoculars and I could see what looked like a single spike. This buck was without doubt over 250 yards away. I slowly made my way down the ladder from the seat, knowing the wind direction I am started the stalk making sure I was down wind from him. Got to the gateway of the field he was in and led down. Was there a good few minutes with him none the wiser. Eventually he presented a shot and I took it.

Definitely a good cull buck for this season

IMG_20170823_WA0016.jpg

Definitely well rid and it will eat as well as any roe does, which is better than superb. OOOOOOhhh!!! I can smell those back straps in the skillet now. In all the years I have never come across a 'unicorn' roe. Had some seriously weird twisted forms but that is just a single as there does not appear to be any damage to the other side and still in velvet. Was it 'entire'?

Definitely well rid and it will eat as well as any roe does, which is better than superb. OOOOOOhhh!!! I can smell those back straps in the skillet now. In all the years I have never come across a 'unicorn' roe. Had some seriously weird twisted forms but that is just a single as there does not appear to be any damage to the other side and still in velvet. Was it 'entire'?

Just a nobble on the left side, and yesh its not a damaged spike. I will be mounting this one as a coat hook

It was grazing alone, saw doe and fawn in other field, id say its last years going by the size of it. But definitely not one to keep out and about, that would turn into a dagger.

Well done 👍

You was there so your call BUT the ruts is over that Buck is/was to young to mate also unlike eg Red Fallow and Sika Roe can throw different Antlers each year so that could have been a even six pointer.

Would i have shot it because of its Antlers No unless i could visibly seen a injury which would cause the lack of antler growth one side Roe are territorial so you could have watched before making any decision 👍

Well done

You was there so your call BUT the ruts is over that Buck is/was to young to mate also unlike eg Red Fallow and Sika Roe can throw different Antlers each year so that could have been a even six pointer.

Would i have shot it because of its Antlers No unless i could visibly seen a injury which would cause the lack of antler growth one side Roe are territorial so you could have watched before making any decision

Absolutely.

A young buck shouldnt be judged on its antlers as there is no way of knowing what it will throw out the year after.

Well done

Would i have shot it because of its Antlers No unless i could visibly seen a injury which would cause the lack of antler growth one side Roe are territorial so you could have watched before making any decision

Absolutely.

A young buck shouldnt be judged on its antlers as there is no way of knowing what it will throw out the year after.

very true gentlemen. but to be fair to our man is new to stalking and i believe his aim was to take a animal for the table in a healthy populated area. From what i know he has done a good job by leaving a muture buck which is still in his prime and showing no signs of going back. so that it can cover the does. he is also a bit restricted to what he takes by the landowner who is a stalker. therefore showing good restraint while obviously wanting to put deer on the ground. with little interest in trophies

he is building his experience and putting the effort in. we learn from our mistakes. i believe he will be more than happy to take on any advice to build up his knowledge as he is a good guy

very true gentlemen. but to be fair to our man is new to stalking and i believe his aim was to take a animal for the table in a healthy populated area. From what i know he has done a good job by leaving a muture buck which is still in his prime and showing no signs of going back. so that it can cover the does. he is also a bit restricted to what he takes by the landowner who is a stalker. therefore showing good restraint while obviously wanting to put deer on the ground. with little interest in trophies

he is building his experience and putting the effort in. we learn from our mistakes. i believe he will be more than happy to take on any advice to build up his knowledge as he is a good guy

I wasnt in anyway negating what he took fella,and dont grudge anyone taking any beast be it huge or a yearling.

Was just trying to correct some of the info regarding the antlers never going to amount to anything as with a young beast the first set means very little.

Edited to say,without seeing the beast and knowing its true age and condition there is a good chance it was a good beast to take.

Edited by sako751sg

Cheers for all the comments and replies, as Ed has said i am new to stalking, i have been shooting for a good number of years but not deer. The land owner had told me of this buck and said if I saw it I should take it. Which I did. I am definitely no trophy hunter. I have been out on the land and seen plenty of four and six points, some of gold standard, but between the owner and myself we are wanting to manage the population, keeping healthy beasts. We do this due to another shooter in our area shooting what ever they see.