Living next to a Cricket Ground.

Pigeon Shredder.

I see in the news this morning that people who moved in to a new housing estate in Darlington next to the Cricket Ground have objected to the noise of a ball hitting a bat and men dropping there trousers to remove thigh pads and boxes.

Now if l had moved next to a cricket ground l may have known of these items prior to doing so, next it will be noisy mowers ,the smell of lime, people clapping and the odd shout of "howsat".

And we thought townies in the countryside were bad.

i work for a large parcel company approx 500 lorrries/vans a night moving around brand new sight cost millions to build .someone decides to build houses next door don,t people look out there bedroom windows when they view these house,s they now put a complaint in about the noise to the council lol ,s

Edited by benbaikal

I see in the news this morning that people who moved in to a new housing estate in Darlington next to the Cricket Ground have objected to the noise of a ball hitting a bat and men dropping there trousers to remove thigh pads and boxes.

Now if l had moved next to a cricket ground l may have known of these items prior to doing so, next it will be noisy mowers ,the smell of lime, people clapping and the odd shout of "howsat".

And we thought townies in the countryside were bad.

I read the article to

Apparently the club had built a new practice area adjacent to the estate without any planning consent

Or maybe it's a different club

All the best

Of

I read the article to

Apparently the club had built a new practice area adjacent to the estate without any planning consent

Or maybe it's a different club

All the best

Of

That was what I understood as well. I play cricket and it isn't just about the sound of ball on bat. Players can get very loud when training and the language is robust as well. I wouldn't want a cricket net next to my garden if it wasn't there already.

Now if it was always there and the houses are new then that's a different matter.

Its a different story when the sodding things are built next to your house though! I know people who's lives have been made a misery thanks to the international one built at Chester-Le-Street in the early 90's. And if they ever want to extend it or have a crazy lighting array added its rubber stamped straight through. The flood lights they have on there can be seen from miles and miles away now :rolleyes:

I could understand if the houses were there and the residents had been for x number of years., then suddenly its built. But they bought a house next to the already well established ground they should know its there and accept it. Weve had it at castle combe race circuit. People moved in, complaining about the noise, now there is a noise limit i. The track, so cars have to have limiters on the exhaust.

I could understand if the houses were there and the residents had been for x number of years., then suddenly its built. But they bought a house next to the already well established ground they should know its there and accept it. Weve had it at castle combe race circuit. People moved in, complaining about the noise, now there is a noise limit i. The track, so cars have to have limiters on the exhaust.

And the ground put up new nets adjacent without planning consent

Are cricket grounds exempt from the planning rules that apply to the rest of us ?

I wouldn't think that nets require pp.

Did you read the news article?

It clearly stated that they were applying for retrospect planning permission

Other complaints were of members removing there trousers and boxes in plain veiw

Not really the done thing

Changing rooms or pavilion is the place for that !

Sorry but many of these clubs think the rules don't apply and try to ride roughshod over everyone

They are there own worst enemy

All the best

Of

But still, some nets, some training for a couple of nights per week for a few brief summer months doesn't sound earth shattering - it isn't like Glastonbury's running 24/7.

This isn't the first time cricket's been an issue and Lord Denning opined on this back in the 1970's in Miller v.s Jackson. His opening statement is famous (in a dry legal way) for letting you know what's about to happen straight from the opening sentence:

"In summertime village cricket is the delight of everyone. Nearly every village has its own cricket field where the young men play and the old men watch. In the village of Lintz in County Durham they have their own ground, where they have played these last 70 years. They tend it well. The wicket area is well rolled and mown. The outfield is kept short. It has a good club house for the players and seats for the onlookers. The village team play there on Saturdays and Sundays. They belong to a league, competing with the neighbouring villages. On other evenings after work they practise while the light lasts. Yet now after these 70 years a judge of the High Court has ordered that they must not play there any more. He has issued an injunction to stop them. He has done it at the instance of a newcomer who is no lover of cricket. This newcomer has built, or has had built for him, a house on the edge of the cricket ground which four years ago was a field where cattle grazed. The animals did not mind the cricket. But now this adjoining field has been turned into a housing estate. The newcomer bought one of the houses on the edge of the cricket ground. No doubt the open space was a selling point. Now he complains that when a batsman hits a six the ball has been known to land in his garden or on or near his house. His wife has got so upset about it that they always go out at week-ends. They do not go into the garden when cricket is being played. They say that this is intolerable. So they asked the judge to stop the cricket being played. And the judge, much against his will, has felt that he must order the cricket to be stopped: with the consequence, I suppose, that the Lintz Cricket Club will disappear. The cricket ground will be turned to some other use. I expect for more houses or a factory. The young men will turn to other things instead of cricket. The whole village will be much the poorer. And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground..."

I saw one of those behind the scenes progs. about Gatwick Airport. Now the airport has been around since the thirties, but really got busy (and therefore noisier) from the late sixties with the advent of cheap package hols. Some guy buys his dream retirement house a few miles away, and has spend most of his free retirement time complaining about the noise.

Only in Britain.....