Right I Went and Bought one for curiosity

subsonicnat

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me an old doubting Thomas if you like but i doubt it will be coming to you any time soon But more than happy to be proved wrong and ill apologise if wrong un reservedly.

What we have here is a genuine ENIGMA :yes: These sights evoke reactions unexpected of them given their innocent nature .

I think its a pigeon watch phenomenon hitherto unseen in modern science. :lol: :lol:

Let's hear it then, make it a good one.

Now now motty you and I and many others don't have no need for such things but those that may will use try them, it's everyone to there own isn't it.

:good: With you all the way on that . But curiosity got the better of me and i tried it and as such i am qualified to state although i have no use for one of these sights for wing shooting whatsoever as you say its everyone to their own isnt it.

I once again tried it in the field.

2 shots after fitting onto a plastic bottle at 25 paces and it was hitting the spot.

Once AGAIN however, as I settled down I noticed the screws had come loose!! Surely must be the recoil now as I made sure all 4 were nice and tight.

I think you might have to put rubber or something down each side otherwise the metal on metal doesn't hold.

I took the sight off and I was able to hit a bird coming in towards me without it. That's twice it's come off easily in the field now. It don't matter how good it is if it don't stay on the bloody gun 😂

2 shots after fitting onto a plastic bottle at 25 paces and it was hitting the spot.

Once AGAIN however, as I settled down I noticed the screws had come loose!! Surely must be the recoil now as I made sure all 4 were nice and tight.

I think you might have to put rubber or something down each side otherwise the metal on metal doesn't hold.

I took the sight off and I was able to hit a bird coming in towards me without it. That's twice it's come off easily in the field now. It don't matter how good it is if it don't stay on the bloody gun

Perhaps they are meant for air rifles!

I received mine. I 'test' plonked it on my clay gun. Pretty much realized it wouldn't work for me *at all* asI'm pretty 'flat' on the rib, and the device base/red dot is pretty much where I'd look down. So the red dot is 'behind' the piece of red plastic. So that won't work for me. I'll try with my wife's gun tho, I know she's a bit higher on her gun.

For the recoil problem -- I had the same problem fitting a barrell cam a few months ago -- the cam would jitter and shake itself loose after a while; I think you need a very solid, long contact base and some sort of rubber for it to stand a chance of staying on.

As far as rabid comments on pigeonwatch, you can't escape it, the place is populated mostly by reactionary old farts who lack the brain cells to have a sensible technical discussion anyway.

I took the sight off and I was able to hit a bird coming in towards me without it. That's twice it's come off easily in the field now. It don't matter how good it is if it don't stay on the bloody gun

That is what i did an old mud flap, just find something similar of the right width and cut strips from that. Locktite be a good idea but mine has not come loose.

I received mine. I 'test' plonked it on my clay gun. Pretty much realized it wouldn't work for me *at all* asI'm pretty 'flat' on the rib, and the device base/red dot is pretty much where I'd look down. So the red dot is 'behind' the piece of red plastic. So that won't work for me. I'll try with my wife's gun tho, I know she's a bit higher on her gun.

For the recoil problem -- I had the same problem fitting a barrell cam a few months ago -- the cam would jitter and shake itself loose after a while; I think you need a very solid, long contact base and some sort of rubber for it to stand a chance of staying on.

As far as rabid comments on pigeonwatch, you can't escape it, the place is populated mostly by reactionary old farts who lack the brain cells to have a sensible technical discussion anyway.

Nothing like proving your own point of view! :yes:

And I always thought pigeon watch was populated by a cross section of ages, could I ask at what age you are classed as a "old ****"?

Quote ...

That have forgotten more than you are ever likely to know .

Quote ...

That have forgotten more than you are ever likely to know .

... And who would be a hell of a lot more polite and weasealy if they were to meet the people they insult or snipe at in person.

... And who would be a hell of a lot more polite and weasealy if they were to meet the people they insult or snipe at in person.

Must say Buze I find your comments a bit ageist, I presume you class yourself as "young" well lets just say I don't think old farts have a monopoly on being un-polite.

This reactionary old **** - Pushing towards 80 - has bought one of the devices in question and is doing user trials over an extended period. Only then will the reactionary old **** voice an opinion...

Doing the same thing with some new NV equipment as well.

Just like to take my time over things and give them a 'sensible' work out. Only then can you make a proper judgement.

Heard all this when over and unders became the new fandangled thingy that just wouldn't ever replace side by sides...

Must say Buze I find your comments a bit ageist, I presume you class yourself as "young" well lets just say I don't think old farts have a monopoly on being un-polite.

Not old enough yet to have learned when it's best to stop digging.

As an aside, I'm mystified as to how farts - plural or verb is acceptable, yet **** - noun singular is not.

Edit: There you go. :innocent:

Edited by wymberley

Simple rubber tape on comb raiser will help with alignment issues should the need arise .

It's interesting that a big part of this discussion was how a red dot sight can help compensate for an ill fitting gun and we have now come round the circle where we advocate fitting a comb raiser in order to accommodate the red dot sight.

What that suggests to me is that for those that have found them most helpful is because they have a very inconsistent mount and are lifting their heads, hence unable to build a consistent relationship between gun and target.

Looking at the pictures posted on here i cannot imagine how if my face was tight on the stock that I could possibly use the sight, i would be looking at the base of it, as described above.

Edited by grrclark