Cairngorms or Ayr holiday

Ollieollie

I live outside Stranraer lots to do and see .depends what you are into .mull of galloway .the most southern point of scotlan .port logan .the beautiful portpatrick. Wigtown .isle of whithorn .i moved here from the north east of england .and now it is my home .stranraer is just a ferry port and not very exciting . Just the ride from Dumfries to Stranraer is amazing.then like you say the Galloway forest .beautiful .if you want a nice quite holiday this is it .i have done all of scotland .hey we even have our own little clayground to.

D&G is a lovely area. On a clear day, walk up the Merrick. If you are interested in books, be sure to visit Wigtown.

... the ride from Dumfries to Stranraer is amazing.

...but the main A75 road does seem to have a lot of crashes, particularly near Dumfries.

Take the costal route out of Dumfries its stunning, Kippford etc lovely

...avoiding the more dangerous end of the A75.

Who is going and what activities are you looking to do?

Me the missus and the kids, don't need anything to exciting, happy walking and dossing on the coast which is why Ayr is a choice, just don't know much about the area, only ever done Scotland in early spring, will the midge be gone by the end of October?

Cheers all

Was going to say Ayr seems quite a long way from Dumfries and the more eastern part of D&G.

In that part of the country the roads can be murder and slow, from Dumfries to stranear I usually allow 2hrs for only 70miles and t often takes that, I think ur a fair trek from stranraer to ayr too.

But mibee a good base close enough to head down into stewartry/Galloway but if were is murder could head up to Glasgow (try excape at braehead indoor ski centre?)

U've the red deer park in gallowy forest park, also got a red kite feeding bit something like 100 odd come in at feed time if that floats ur boat, plenty of otters don that area too.

Plenty of good walks/hikes.

U can also take the ferry across to arran or I think u can island hop from rothesay/bute and across the kyle to dunoon, i think u can do it in a day with a push bike if the ferry times suit althou u might be getting late in the year for it

Is the wigwam bothy still there near merrick? Mind camping there many years ago as a scout

Edited by scotslad

I would like to pop over to the island

It depends on what islands, Air could be to far south to use as a base although I think the ferry to Arran still leaves from Ardrossan. The town of Air itself was looking very tired and untidy the last time I was there (5 years ago) but I am sure there is still plenty attractions for you and family.

U can get over to arran or travel a bit further north to Greenock/gourock to get across to bute/dunnon

Quite cheap if just a foot passenger but a bit dearer if taking ur car.

Be a nice run up coast boat across to Dunoon and have a drive about there come down over the 'rest and be thankful' and down the A82 down Loch Lommand side towards Glasgow then Mway all/most way back to Ayr

Is there not an 'electric brae' about Ayr somewhere? Think its meant to be a good 1.

Unless you like Golf or prepared to do Arran as others have said.. I'd do Cairngorms.

If you go near Dumfries (which is miles from Ayr). Def go to the WWT place at (spelling) caerlaverock. The wetlands place has the biggest pair of Binos I've ever seen and if you like seeing geese this is the place. The nearby castle is worth a visit too.