Halal

Benthejockey

There's any number of articles on this including non-sensational sources such as the BBC, regional papers and so on. I think one of the chains is Whitbread with several restaurant brands who serve mainly halal, some councils supply schools with only halal, often the vast majority of schools under their control. There was a good article about it on 'Farming Today' on R4 last week. It's all far from sensational, just fact and mainstream and most people don't know about it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If all meat is Halal anyway then why do you occasionally see Halal branded stuff in the supermarkets ? :rolleyes: And who says mozzies only eat Halal, we eat out at Persian restaurants at least twice a month, I've prolly been to all of them in London and can only recall maybe a couple that have a Halal sign, their customer base includes lots of English as well as Arabs and Pakistani and I have never once in my life heard one of them ask whether they serve Halal before sitting down. :hmm:

As for takeaways, lemithink, last time I queued up at a Kebab house the customers were almost exclusively English and again few exhibit Halal signs and as for Chinese cuisine I have it on extremely reliable authority via PigeonWatch leaks that they only serve very very locally sourced cats anyway so no danger there.

This Halal nonsense is all hogwash designed to perpetuate animosity against Muslims, I do agree non stun slaughter is wrong but the reason it is allowed to carry on is because Kosher is almost certainly no different if not worse (google annual chicken killing rituals by the Jewish community in America), and it's good if not vital for business. Follow the money as always.

Most slaughter houses will kill halal (something like 95% of NZ exported lamb is halal) it will be up to the next people in the chain how they market or brand the product.

In some cases now the halal sign will just be a tiny label/writing on the packaging.

I'd be surprised if most takeaways don't use halal meats, I know the poster for donna meat 1 used to have up had a halal label on it.

A few years ago I was in a new local takeaway shop with my plus 4's on and got speaking to the boy about shooting and halal, he was wanting me to get him some halal venision and reckoned there was a boy down about Manchester that does actually sell halal venision from wild deer, must admit I couldn't quite figure it out.

he was offering silly money too

I think any issues that exist will be in substandard slaughterhouses where the issues are more the staff than the type of slaughter (during F&M I worked alongside a ministry vet who inspected slaughter houses) most will be very good but still be a few poor ones out there.

Has the government not just passed a law tat all slaughter houses must have cctv.

I think most folk that watched a slaughter for the 1st time that have never seen owt like that before would be shocked too, just seeing an animal die for 1st time and amount of blood

If all meat is Halal anyway then why do you occasionally see Halal branded stuff in the supermarkets ? :rolleyes: And who says mozzies only eat Halal, we eat out at Persian restaurants at least twice a month, I've prolly been to all of them in London and can only recall maybe a couple that have a Halal sign, their customer base includes lots of English as well as Arabs and Pakistani and I have never once in my life heard one of them ask whether they serve Halal before sitting down. :hmm:

As for takeaways, lemithink, last time I queued up at a Kebab house the customers were almost exclusively English and again few exhibit Halal signs and as for Chinese cuisine I have it on extremely reliable authority via PigeonWatch leaks that they only serve very very locally sourced cats anyway so no danger there.

This Halal nonsense is all hogwash designed to perpetuate animosity against Muslims, I do agree non stun slaughter is wrong but the reason it is allowed to carry on is because Kosher is almost certainly no different if not worse (google annual chicken killing rituals by the Jewish community in America), and it's good if not vital for business. Follow the money as always.

http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Regulation/Halal-chicken-sold-at-KFC-may-not-be-real-halal

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/07/halal-meat-restaurant-menus-humane-slaughter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622830/Millions-eating-halal-food-without-knowing-How-big-brand-shops-restaurants-sell-ritually-slaughtered-meat-dont-label-it.html

These are old sources, but from what I can gather halal is very much the norm when it comes to meat products, it just saves having to have 2 ranges, and yes I know there is a halal section in some supermarkets, but that may be more of a brand thing than anything else.

I personally dont let it worry me, we ate battery chicken for years, and still do to an extent.

I find shana ? halal chicken from Asda to be superior to their own brand (besides free range) probably due to not having the bulking agent injected into it, (the white carp that comes out as you cook it)

Some people seem to think food prepared by muslims is wrong 'You dont know what theyve done to it do you ?' I heard someone say.

But thats just daft, its food prepped for their consumption, why would they do that ?

There was a time when muslims would ask if its halal, now its us saying is it halal :lol:

Mentioned this thread to my vegi wife, she thought it was about a video/prog shown on telly this week about chicken, undercover filming showing old and new meat being mixed together, dates being changed stuff being taken off the floor!! She was proper not happy about it, anyone see it???

That to me is the more important issue, how and where was the animal / meat reared? How was it processed??

The UK has some of the highest production standards in the world and as a producer, who has nurtured and looked after my animals, I wish them to be slaughtered humanely.

The UK has some of the highest production standards in the world and as a producer, who has nurtured and looked after my animals, I wish them to be slaughtered humanely.

And this is what I wish people would take more note of, where their food has come from and how it was treated before slaughter, mass produced halal meat is not good and in my view should be banned or at least labled to make Joe public aware and allow them to make a informed choice.

And this is what I wish people would take more note of, where their food has come from and how it was treated before slaughter, mass produced halal meat is not good and in my view should be banned or at least labled to make Joe public aware and allow them to make a informed choice.

Sorry not sure wot u mean?

If the UK has some of the highest standards for both rearing and slaughtering livestock at the moment even with halal so wots the point in banning it, really the only difference is the prayer said before it dies.

The above argument is a far better argument for not buying imported meat as standards elsewhere could be fairly terrible, but no one really cares esp big business and a very good reason to buy meat from proper butchers.

Many real butchers will know where the beast was slaughtered and possibly went to the market to buy the best of wot was there when it was still alive.

It's in no one's interest to mistreat the animals and will affect the end product.

Look at the whole horse meat scandal all forgotten about now and everyone is buying the same carp unhung supermarket they did before, the worst of it is sometimes proper butchers stuff isn't much dearer sometimes

Very few on this thread have mentioned the life of the beast before hand, ur making a big deal on the beast's last 20 seconds but few seem concerned by the beast's previous 6-36 months

What is mass produced Halal meat ? Is there a quantifiable difference between that and Kosher and how do you know, genuine question because I don't.

If the UK has some of the highest standards for both rearing and slaughtering livestock at the moment even with halal so wots the point in banning it, really the only difference is the prayer said before it dies.

The above argument is a far better argument for not buying imported meat as standards elsewhere could be fairly terrible, but no one really cares esp big business and a very good reason to buy meat from proper butchers.

Many real butchers will know where the beast was slaughtered and possibly went to the market to buy the best of wot was there when it was still alive.

It's in no one's interest to mistreat the animals and will affect the end product.

Look at the whole horse meat scandal all forgotten about now and everyone is buying the same carp unhung supermarket they did before, the worst of it is sometimes proper butchers stuff isn't much dearer sometimes

Very few on this thread have mentioned the life of the beast before hand, ur making a big deal on the beast's last 20 seconds but few seem concerned by the beast's previous 6-36 months

This ^

I dont know if this has been said but Jews only eat the forequarters of beef, they will not eat the hind quarters as it contains some blood left over from when it was bled.

So what happens to all the hindquarters? yes you have guessed, it goes for sale to the general meat trade. In other words, you and me.

Is the difference not that most are stunned before they have their throats cut, and others just have their throats cut. So how is a prayer the only difference. :hmm:

That is the other half of my point, most halal meat is produced that way not for religious reasons but more to do with profit and it's the whole set up that's the problem, I'd like to see more local meat used.

But most are stunned even in halal slaughter. Some one had links with figures before sure was 80-90% are pre stunned with halal slaughter.

I've got mates that work in a slaughter house both before and after they started halal slaughter, I've asked them and they say the only difference is some bloke saying prayers over them.

He did reckon the prayers become a lot shorter by the 2500 th lamb in a morning

Again another reason for buying ur meat of small butchers, there will be a far better chance that it will not be killed halal if it bothers u so much.

If I ran a large slaughter house it just makes sense to kill everything halal so all the carcusses can be sent where ever they need to be.

But small slaughter houses will be slaughtering to order so far they know exactly where the product is going (it will be then up to the butchers wether halal, but I could understand why they would ask for it too as just saves hassle)

That is the other half of my point, most halal meat is produced that way not for religious reasons but more to do with profit and it's the whole set up that's the problem, I'd like to see more local meat used.

Ur right this modern culture of big business and chasing money is the root of many of the 1st worlds problem nowadays.

No one really cares about much apart from screwing as much money out of folk as they can (and supermarkets/ big brands are very guility of it often shafting suppliers)

But mn in halal slaughter. Some one had links with figures before sure was 80-90% are pre stunned with halal slaughter.ost are stunned eve

I've got mates that work in a slaughter house both before and after they started halal slaughter, I've asked them and they say the only difference is some bloke saying prayers over them.

He did reckon the prayers become a lot shorter by the 2500 th lamb in a morning

Again another reason for buying ur meat of small butchers, there will be a far better chance that it will not be killed halal if it bothers u so much.

If I ran a large slaughter house it just makes sense to kill everything halal so all the carcusses can be sent where ever they need to be.

But small slaughter houses will be slaughtering to order so far they know exactly where the product is going (it will be then up to the butchers wether halal, but I could understand why they would ask for it too as just saves hassle)

I posted a link early on, (ignored for some reason) it was 84% when printed but % is probably higher now... ;)

U should know by now island gun its no good linking facts and figures if it doesn't agree with there already pre set ideas.

Those who are critical, have u ever moved/worked with stock?

I'm sure the animals could suffer far more stress in the way they are handled from the farm/market and up the races at the slaughter house.

There is many ways u could be cruel to animals and really the method of slaughter is only a tiny tiny part in it