Daft myths that won't die?

chrisjpainter

I was amazed a few years ago when someone trotted out the old myth that a pedigree bitch had been ruined as a mongrel had mated her so she couldn't have pedigree puppies any more.

I convinced him that it was an old wives tale.

He had married a divorcee with a son and he and his wife had a daughter since their marriage. After asking him if his daughter was his or his wifes exhusbands assuming she had been faithful to him he got the idea of genetics.

Blimey!

Some people.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, so many myths! The phone in rice one won't go away. The story about aeroplanes flying over penguins making them fall over. Left and right brain. Gendered brain. Sugar makes kids hyperactive. Most heat is lost through your head. You need eight glasses of water a day. Putting oil in water unsticks pasta. You swallow two spiders a year in your sleep.

I'm sure knowing all these things really adds to my popularity when I share them, but I find it amazing that people don't want to know. Here's a nice infographic https://www.geekwrapped.com/myth-infographic

Oh, so many myths! The phone in rice one won't go away. The story about aeroplanes flying over penguins making them fall over. Left and right brain. Gendered brain. Sugar makes kids hyperactive. Most heat is lost through your head. You need eight glasses of water a day. Putting oil in water unsticks pasta. You swallow two spiders a year in your sleep.

I'm sure knowing all these things really adds to my popularity when I share them, but I find it amazing that people don't want to know. Here's a nice infographic https://www.geekwrapped.com/myth-infographic

I've known a 5" reversing monitor to be recovered by putting it in a sealed bag of rice after rain water affected the screen.

Not just me then

What a load of nonsense

The Russians tracked it ALL the way to the Moon, and back.....if anyone was gonna shout "foul" it would have been them....they did not! Ergo, the landing took place!

Yes the "Porridge"add man was asked to swear on the Bible he had been to the moon, he refused & decked the journalist.

Perhaps it was the fact that he was being disbelieved made him deck the journalist? I know I would!

I remember seeing a program about that

I find it very odd how anyone with a reasonable level of intelligence actually believes that in the 60s man not only walked on the moon but took off again and got back to earth. I wonder why its never been done since, modern technology could prove it didn't happen...maybe ??

The whole "story" is a joke

Rubbish! Ask the Russians! They NEVER doubted that the Americans made it to the Moon, and they had ALL the equipment to track it, and the best brains outside of Nasa to do so..........Yet people with NO SCIENTIFIC knowledge disbelieve it....maybe it,s an anti- American thing?

I tried sitting on my hands but it didn't work and one of them sprung free to type this...

Men definitely walked on the moon, you vastly overestimate the ability of people to keep secrets if you think none of thousands of people involved wouldn't have blabbed eventually. If the russians had any sniff of it not being true they would have seized the massive propaganda opportunity. There are items left on the moon visible with powerful telescopes. there is a reflector on the moon which can be hit by a laser which reflects back to earth. The samples returned to earth could only have come from an atmosphere free place ie space and as the moon is the closest object it must have been that - the next closest thing would be mars or venus.

and breathe...

You are CORRECT!

Yeh right!& Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK.

He did.

I heard that when martians abduct human women they impregnate them the offspring are known as morons and tend find jobs as politicians, think it may be true.

It is....just ask Jeremy Corbyn! That,s if you can get an intelligent answer out of him......and as for Diane Abbott....nuff said!

The myth that the moon landings were a myth.

:good: