increase in cormorants

davewh100

any of you fishing lads noticed more cormorants this year i had an email from natural england and the angling trust saying they normally issue 3'000 to be shot by license, seems there as been 33'000 breeding pairs from the Baltic down to Denmark and are trying to get the number raised to 6'000, definitely noticed an increase on our waters these can be shot from 1st sep to 15th April by license only i have 10 on mine and 10 goosander

be careful 39DS or it will empty it the first one i shot mid September was that full of fish couldn't even fly

I often hear they will empty a pond of fish (as will herons) but it isn't empty yet after years of herons.

Next door have a pond with gold fish in, hasn't been emptied either.

Maybe I should add that what I am calling a pond is probably what a lot would call a lake. Certainly seen carp "lakes" smaller anyway.

I often hear they will empty a pond of fish (as will herons) but it isn't empty yet after years of herons.

Next door have a pond with gold fish in, hasn't been emptied either.

Maybe I should add that what I am calling a pond is probably what a lot would call a lake. Certainly seen carp "lakes" smaller anyway.

Herons will empty them over a space of time, cormorants will empty it in one sitting. They fill them selves that full as already has been said they either can't fly or need a massive run up to take off. Coming from an ex trout farmer with a cormorant problem :lol:

any of you fishing lads noticed more cormorants this year i had an email from natural england and the angling trust saying they normally issue 3'000 to be shot by license, seems there as been 33'000 breeding pairs from the Baltic down to Denmark and are trying to get the number raised to 6'000, definitely noticed an increase on our waters these can be shot from 1st sep to 15th April by license only i have 10 on mine and 10 goosander

Are there strict circumstances regarding the issue of licences before you can control them?

Whilst sitting in our pigeon hide last year, my pal and I counted approximately 900 to 1000 fly over in groups of 20 to 30 during a three hour period. They were flying across the Thames estuary from Essex towards Westbere lakes.

Another guy with several flight ponds near said lakes has a licence to cull just 4.

How any form of control can be achieved at the low level of licences issued to cull, I'll never know.

OB

Same up here, v formation 15+ strong.

I have half raised the gun a few times in the dull hours of a morning.

Same just happened on this mornings flight on our marsh calling the geese in and hundreds came ove but a bit high or wide then noticed two coming in lower. Mate stood ready to shoot and they flared and saw they were cormorants, first time I’ve seen them flying among skiens of geese. In the half light they do look a lot like geese.

shot one more this morning last two must be this years due to size, yeah you must apply to natural england for the license took me nearly a year to get it they like you to try other methods first starting pistol, lines on the waters also you must have proof with picks on the waters and number of birds, we still have to fill in forms of siteings bit of a pain this is the conditions of the license, four licence were not issued for this year