Centre fire break in

Whitester

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one had offered in proof about shrooting a barrel in.

Only precise statements about smoothing holes that fill with copper.

Manufacturings recommending you shoot in have a vested interest. Historically the shooting in myth only started in the 70s, propagated by custom barrel makers supposedly to increase the volume of barrels sold.

Crumbs Scully, enough is enough.

If someone wants to shoot in their barrel then fine, I do and mine work, if others don't it's up to them.

It is possible that someone may have an exceptionally well made barrel that may give better results without being shot in, than a poorly made barrel that has been appropriately shot in. There are always exceptions, but put simply, shooting in a barrel can never do any harm and only potentially good, so what is the issue?!

The issue is some people telling others you SHOULD be doing this by inferring that by not doing it they are doing something wrong, when in fact there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that so called breaking in a barrel has any benefit over not breaking in a barrel.... unless you know different of course.

I totally agree it can do no harm, but no one can prove that not doing it does any harm.

The issue is "not being able to admit defeat"

Sorry scully just kidding. :-)

But admitting defeat of what? I dont mind being proved wrong at all; do you not understand that? Can YOU prove that not breaking in your barrel has a detrimental effect on your barrel, and that by not doing so others are neglecting their rifles?

Experience makes me very sceptical of the claims of others.

Arent custom rifle builders manufacturers? So show me a custom rifle builder/ manufacturer who states in their literature that breaking in their barrels as others have advocated, should be carried out.

Me I'm a custom rifle builder and if you want a copy of my paperwork your welcome to it with any rifle you order.

Look, the way to see it is, your barrle, do as you please. If you think k it's right to shoot it in, then shoot it in. If you think it's right to shoot it and put it back in the cupboard then that's to you as well.

Over the years I have read a lot of bs from no one with a name worth remembering and I have to the same note read the same from top flight target shooters.

Me! I'm a wannabe. I wannabe doing the best I can for my barrels and me reloads because it don't grow on trees so if I think it will help improve the accuracy of one of the rifles then I'll do it, after plenty of research from the right people.

We can all find a reason that barrel manufacturers will say brake it in and not to brake it in.

You do what you think is right.

I have done both, just shoot it and brake in. After my own results I will now always brake a barrel in. Where's the proof? In my head and that's all that really matters

With the utmost respect that means nothing Im afraid unless you can base your advice on proven facts. Otherwise its simply your opinion.

You want and manufacture then you get 2 mass produced and a custom made who say do it you don't like the answers so want something different I give up you have your laymans opinion based on your experience I have mine based on being in the industry and see more new rifle and setting them up in a month than I expect you'll own. Enjoy your evening I'm out.

It is obvious it does harm.

Every time you use anything mechanical you are using up its lifespan.

By burning though 50-100 rounds breaking in a barrel you are using up a portion of its life.

Oh my lord I give up I really do. We have gone from running in a barrel being of no use, to it now being detrimental to the barrel.

I am unsubscribing from this thread as it has now become too silly for words

Edited by Graham M

So there we have it; no one can PROVE that not running in your barrel does your barrel any harm nor prolongs its life, anymore than anyone can prove the opposite..... ( unless you know better of course ) and thats all I was after. 😉

There will still be those who claim by their own self opinionated superiority they know better than others, but the fact is they dont.

Dont let anyone tell you that youre neglecting your rifle by not doing it. Each to their own.

Well this is a fun read... Think some do some dont.

I didnt, and ive not cleaned it either since new, only run around 50 through it on a mix of range shooting, fox control and deer (its a 243).

So some would say im doing it wrong others say im not.

I am doing it the way I want to though and im enjoying my shooting.

I didnt, and ive not cleaned it either since new, only run around 50 through it on a mix of range shooting, fox control and deer (its a 243).

Never ? Honestly ???

Please say you at least unscrew the mod ?

I don't leave any gun dirty inc my £20 baikel.

As you say . You take your choices ;)

I've fired 300 rounds in 6 months with the 243 so clean mine every time.

Never ? Honestly ???

Please say you at least unscrew the mod ?

I don't leave any gun dirty inc my £20 baikel.

As you say . You take your choices ;)

I've fired 300 rounds in 6 months with the 243 so clean mine every time.

Mod does come off yes. As i said so far its been used only a few times. Im sure i will start cleaning it through.

Me too im afraid, life is too short. If it gets **** wet through i will run an oily patch through it, but thats it(although it is stainless)

Ive had it 7 yrs and its still more accurate than i will ever be. It lives with the mod on it too.

If it goes tits up i will buy another.

Me too im afraid, life is too short. If it gets **** wet through i will run an oily patch through it, but thats it(although it is stainless)

Ive had it 7 yrs and its still more accurate than i will ever be. It lives with the mod on it too.

If it goes tits up i will buy another.

Each to their own. You have a similar attitude to a good mate of mine. A good mate who is a Cumbrian Fell sheep farmer, has shot who knows how many foxes with his Sako 75. I have no idea whether it was shot in or not but I seriously doubt it. It is never cleaned and is stored with mod on, which vents spectacularly at night. It prints some extremely tight groups off a rest.

Hi

Lets change the term running in

To

Getting to grips with the new gun 🤣😂

I wouldnt dream of buying a new rifle or second hand and not taking it up the range and seeing how it shot

How it grouped and just to get the feel for it

Knowing if it shoots better with a clean or dirty barrel is also important especially for shooting live quarry

Lot of different views here

However as most of my new rifles have come with a test card there ready to go

Just need me to get used to them

All the best

Of

I think what this thread has proven to me, maybe to others as well, is to think twice as to who you buy things off. If people want to just run with the flow and shoot and go fine. Sort of tells me more money than sense. For the cost of £30 more to brake a barrel in against the cost of a rebarrel or new rifle then its madness. Just running a thread around and around to try and make one feel better about their way of doing things is also madness.

But as said. Research users post before you buy of them is about all I have gotten out of this thread. And about time it was closed