Lewis Hamilton

KB1

Regarding tax. There are 20 Grand Prix's in a season of which only one is in the UK. Therefore why should Hamilton feel obliged to pay tax on 19/20ths of his income when it is earned overseas? Any sensible person in his position would also move to Monaco.

Mercedes F1 are based in UK and pay his salary, therefore the salary is earned in UK.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he should reside in the U.K. and pay his taxes here like the rest of us. As for a knighthood, jog on.

Why on earth should he?

It’s his choice where to live and having lived there I know which one I prefer- shame my wife doesn’t, otherwise would still be there.

I’m sure if you were given the choice to reduce your Income Tax liabilities, you would...

It has nothing to do with where the company he works for is based. If he is on delegation in a foreign country for a specified time he wont pay U.K. tax regardless of where his employer is based.

Not that simple I’m afraid, there are many criteria to be met for establishing ones domicile and other influencing factors too.

As you gather I'm not a Hamilton fan but will defend his right to live where he wants, whichever gives him the best rate on his taxes

It's his choice and I think any of us would probably do the same,

Back in the day when top rate tax was 95% a lot of top earners moved abroad,

But just to throw a curve ball into whether he is the best.....

Back in the Clark/Stewart/GHill days, they were racing drivers, not F1 drivers.....

Watched a recent interview with Jackie Stewart and it was him that made that definition, he said they would race F3, F2, F1 races in the same weekend and then pop over to the states for the Indy 500 the following weekend, THAT takes talent and that's what makes the big difference between the old school and modern day F1 racers, not whether either one could drive either the new cars or the old cars the best

:shaun:

Well said Walshie, I think he comes across as a really poor sports man/person!. last year i felt his attitude was very poor indeed

+1

His attitude stinks. The majority of the other drivers do not like him which is fairly telling IMO - even Button has said recently things were not as good as it seemed whilst at McLaren with him, and Button gets on with/is liked by everyone!!

Back in the Clark/Stewart/GHill days, they were racing drivers, not F1 drivers.....

Watched a recent interview with Jackie Stewart and it was him that made that definition, he said they would race F3, F2, F1 races in the same weekend and then pop over to the states for the Indy 500 the following weekend, THAT takes talent and that's what makes the big difference between the old school and modern day F1 racers, not whether either one could drive either the new cars or the old cars the best

:shaun:

It's not a fair comparison. Lewis et al might all be willing to compete in multiple formulae but it's very doubtful their team would let them. If you can drive a modern day F1 car at the highest level then the lesser formulae would pose no problem, indeed most will have risen through those ranks to reach F1. If you do want to insist on following that formula then Mansell is the greatest of all time because he's the only driver to hold F1 and Indy Car championships at the same time.

I'm sorry but those old drivers didn't have the same levels of media and sponsorship commitments that modern drivers have and those old drivers didn't posses the same levels of fitness that the modern drivers have. If you took Lewis back in time he would still be amongst the greats. Bring one of the older drivers forward at the peak of their abilities and they would probably struggle at the highest modern day levels. Not because of ability but simply because of physical conditioning.

No argument about their cojones though, they raced in far more dangerous times but I suspect that even if modern F1 was more dangerous than it is the majority of drivers would still be out there risking life and limb for glory, paychecks and our entertainment.

The great racing drivers are almost, or perhaps actually, sociopathic personalities. They have no fear, and little or no regard for what others may think of them. All they care about is winning.

If you asked me who I liked more, Jenson or Lewis? Hands down I'd say Jenson. But if my life depended on one of them winning a race or a championship then I'd go for Lewis everytime.

It's not a fair comparison. Lewis et al might all be willing to compete in multiple formulae but it's very doubtful their team would let them. If you can drive a modern day F1 car at the highest level then the lesser formulae would pose no problem, indeed most will have risen through those ranks to reach F1. If you do want to insist on following that formula then Mansell is the greatest of all time because he's the only driver to hold F1 and Indy Car championships at the same time.

I'm sorry but those old drivers didn't have the same levels of media and sponsorship commitments that modern drivers have and those old drivers didn't posses the same levels of fitness that the modern drivers have. If you took Lewis back in time he would still be amongst the greats. Bring one of the older drivers forward at the peak of their abilities and they would probably struggle at the highest modern day levels. Not because of ability but simply because of physical conditioning.

No argument about their cojones though, they raced in far more dangerous times but I suspect that even if modern F1 was more dangerous than it is the majority of drivers would still be out there risking life and limb for glory, paychecks and our entertainment.

The great racing drivers are almost, or perhaps actually, sociopathic personalities. They have no fear, and little or no regard for what others may think of them. All they care about is winning.

If you asked me who I liked more, Jenson or Lewis? Hands down I'd say Jenson. But if my life depended on one of them winning a race or a championship then I'd go for Lewis everytime.

Good post.

+1

His attitude stinks. The majority of the other drivers do not like him which is fairly telling IMO - even Button has said recently things were not as good as it seemed whilst at McLaren with him, and Button gets on with/is liked by everyone!!

Jenson button is a genuine guy, a bit naughty with that Renault/Williams contract many years ago, but I liked his attitude. He was at a small car event near us last weekend and was so approachable.

It made me feel old for the first time when he retired, I remember watching him race in the lower formulas.

Hamiltons racing life has been epic, his private life a mess. Not turning up in London for the f1 display was a mistake, looking like a tattooed fashion clown isn't my cuppa tea but it what's becoming of the newer drivers. Vettel is a great driver but his appeal to the Germans shows in non event german races this year, Schumacher filled the hockenhiem and Nurburgring tracks with air horn flag waving fans. Much the same that verstappen is bringing to the sport.

Hamilton is good, he's been at this for 10 years with 3 possibly 4 titles. It could have been 2 more (2007 and 2016), very impressive.

Do you think he is worse than any others particularly Vettel, Alonso or Verstappen?

No but theyre not British or ambassadors for our country. The ones you mansion are all the stamp your feet tantrum boys.You only have to look st how bad Shuey was shunting people like Damon Hill off the track so he couldnt win the championship, thats appalling sportsmanship. Yet out of the car Micheal did lots for charity.

I think this younger generation of drivers think they can do and act as they please much like other sports stars.

Edited by figgy

So then, which is more important, to be brilliant or to be likeable?

My view is that I would rather have seriously talented but unlikeable people than a beige sludge of nice guys. I've never felt the need to want to be someone's mate in order to respect them and enjoy what they do. Otherwise Brian Mays views would stop me liking Queen, Alex Higggins' awful treatment of everyone around him would obstruct appreciation of his genius and so on.

Jenson button is a genuine guy, a bit naughty with that Renault/Williams contract many years ago, but I liked his attitude. He was at a small car event near us last weekend and was so approachable.

It made me feel old for the first time when he retired, I remember watching him race in the lower formulas.

Hamiltons racing life has been epic, his private life a mess. Not turning up in London for the f1 display was a mistake, looking like a tattooed fashion clown isn't my cuppa tea but it what's becoming of the newer drivers. Vettel is a great driver but his appeal to the Germans shows in non event german races this year, Schumacher filled the hockenhiem and Nurburgring tracks with air horn flag waving fans. Much the same that verstappen is bringing to the sport.

Hamilton is good, he's been at this for 10 years with 3 possibly 4 titles. It could have been 2 more (2007 and 2016), very impressive.

Button should have had the 2004 title (IIRC). He and his car were the fastest all season - but his downfalL was team strategy. IF he had pitted when Ferrari pitted Schumacher at almost every race he would have won. Instead he finished the season off the pace behind Ferrari and McLaren...

Sometimes it's not all about the best driver, it's about being in the team which can deliver. Alonso is another prime example of this, as he is comfortably the best driver on the grid - IMO.

So then, which is more important, to be brilliant or to be likeable?

My view is that I would rather have seriously talented but unlikeable people than a beige sludge of nice guys. I've never felt the need to want to be someone's mate in order to respect them and enjoy what they do. Otherwise Brian Mays views would stop me liking Queen, Alex Higggins' awful treatment of everyone around him would obstruct appreciation of his genius and so on.

I get what your saying, but it would be nice if he could try and be both….. maybe he thinks he is, but I couldn't help sitting on my sofa during the pomp and circumstance of the US Grand Prix thinking "Lewis you ****, your embarrassing yourself" :no: and if I remember right, he was the only driver there that unwittingly performed like a clown for the American crowd, and in doing so probably went some way to alienating his true supporters. I love to see him win a race, I sit willing him on all the way, race after race, but something in me wasn't as enthusiastic this time round, as I find it much easier to relate to someone who displays a modicum of modesty as opposed to a bag full of narcissism :innocent:

Button should have had the 2004 title (IIRC). He and his car were the fastest all season - but his downfalL was team strategy. IF he had pitted when Ferrari pitted Schumacher at almost every race he would have won. Instead he finished the season off the pace behind Ferrari and McLaren...

Sometimes it's not all about the best driver, it's about being in the team which can deliver. Alonso is another prime example of this, as he is comfortably the best driver on the grid - IMO.

He was in front of McLaren that was the year he and BAR Honda shocked everyone.

He was in front of McLaren that was the year he and BAR Honda shocked everyone.

Yeah - I thought they finished a few points back from McLaren in the end... sadly it was a few years ago now and a lot has happened.

IMO Button is a greater driver than Hamilton will ever be, it's a shame he is only a 1 time champion.

I dislike how Hamilton takes nothing to do with the GPDA, and isn't even a member. Bloody poor show from a world champion

Yeah - I thought they finished a few points back from McLaren in the end... sadly it was a few years ago now and a lot has happened.

IMO Button is a greater driver than Hamilton will ever be, it's a shame he is only a 1 time champion.

I dislike how Hamilton takes nothing to do with the GPDA, and isn't even a member. Bloody poor show from a world champion

It's your opinion but I can't see how you think Button is better than Hamilton. He rarely bettered him when at McLaren. He won his only WDC in 2009 when in a car that was significantly faster than others due to the double defusers. When the other cars caught up later in the season (July) Button failed to win a race. I have no doubt he is a nice guy but a journeyman imo.