Cocker or Springer

Lloyd90

Well hopefully after moving house in the coming months I’ll be on the lookout for the next worker.

now the Gf has said she wouldn’t mind me having a Cocker because they’re a bit smaller around the house and seem nicer ?

now I do fancy getting a cocker but would worry as been told they can struggle on retrieves for cock pheasants or ducks? 

Most my shooting now is walked up pheasants, the odd bit of duck and hopefully pigeons and crows this coming summer. The walked up shooting I do is what’s pushig me to a spaniel over a lab. 

What have people with either / both found? 

Move also been told it’s much easier to train a Springer go a happy standard. 

I would have said that cockers are the madest of the two but at the end of the day both will be good you only end up with a good dog if you put the time in with the training and do not rush any stage of it 

Never take it crow shooting cockers are capable of retieving pheasant and duck some will even be fine with hare's 

Edited by B725

I’ve never had a cocker so fancy trying one, the good reports off you gents is pushing me in their favour. 

Re a clumber, I think it’s hard enough to find a decent worker regardless but to do it with a breed you know nothing about is just a bit harder. Maybe in the future lol. 

I’ve never had a cocker so fancy trying one, the good reports off you gents is pushing me in their favour. 

Re a clumber, I think it’s hard enough to find a decent worker regardless but to do it with a breed you know nothing about is just a bit harder. Maybe in the future lol. 

9 minutes ago, Ollieollie said:

If you 'fancy' trying something dont make it a dog, a new food maybe would suit. 

On dogs, i have had both cockers, springers & HPR's. IMHO a springer from good lines would suit, i find cockers a little more head strong than the springer

To add, just my opinion

Wise words Oli... although what a shame if you only ever stuck to what you knew, and never discovered the joys of something different. 

It probably won’t be until around Summer 2018 so plenty of time to think and choose. 

If your shooting is mostly walked up a cocker a great wee dog people say there more head strung than springers which i think is wrong a springer will quarter any rough cover but cocker will only go in to rough cover if it gets a scent NOW Thats according to the mate who breeds cockers  ive seen cockers retrieve duck on a lough but dont know bout foreshore but all in all great wee dogs

If your not into the breading the go spocker. people will say you are taking a chance at getting a pile of **** but i have seen many many pile of kennelclub dogs.

i run cockers but when times comes i will replace with spockers. main reason is the vet bills on the shoots, they do get banged up so you do use the insurance. H57 dogs are a lot cheaper to insure and they will do the same job as the rest.

30 minutes ago, activeviii said:

If your not into the breading the go spocker. people will say you are taking a chance at getting a pile of **** but i have seen many many pile of kennelclub dogs.

i run cockers but when times comes i will replace with spockers. main reason is the vet bills on the shoots, they do get banged up so you do use the insurance. H57 dogs are a lot cheaper to insure and they will do the same job as the rest.

I have learnt something new today already.

34 minutes ago, activeviii said:

Sprocker’s in my day they were called mongrels, but having said that if you look at any vets waiting room or TV program most of the dogs are pedigree breeds, as you rightly say mongrels (cross breeds) don’t seem to suffer the same illnesses of pedigree dogs.  

1 hour ago, activeviii said:

+1

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Sprocker’s in my day they were called mongrels, but having said that if you look at any vets waiting room or TV program most of the dogs are pedigree breeds, as you rightly say mongrels (cross breeds) don’t seem to suffer the same illnesses of pedigree dogs.  

Nope - not mongrels they are all spaniel - in my youth we had spaniels, small ones were used for woodland (cockers) and large ones for foreshore (springers) - could not afford KC registered, that was for toffs.