Sign in to follow this  
AYA117

Side by Side Club

Also, the smooth flat plate in the centre of the action is the spring that operates against the underlever, at the front of the action you can see two stress fractures where the force of the spring acts against the action. I dont know if these areas could be repaired by a skilled metal worker using the likes of laser welding, mini TIG or even brazing. Sadly all skills (and tools!) I would love to possess but don't. 

2 minutes ago, Huntly said:

Thank you, I will get in touch and ask him. Its a pity I live so far away or I would have taken it in for him to look at in person. I am going to need to get the gun checked over as I don't have the tools to measure the barrel dimensions or the knowledge to appraise a piece of damage to the underside of the action, where a small piece of metal appears to have broken away.

I am not a gunmaker, but you certainly need to get that looked at (as you obviously intend to).  I cannot see the gun being 'provable' in that state because that damage will weaken the action - and I have no idea if a repair would be technically possible - let alone economically viable (which I doubt).  Mark is very knowledgeable and fully 'hands on'.  He normally responds promptly to emails.

A little update about the George Gibbs, Mark did indeed respond to my query promptly and has told me that I have a 1st pattern Gibbs & Pitt, the 154th made after the patent being granted in 1873. He believes that this gun dates from 1876-1877 and also pointed out that this gun has had its safety converted from the first type, mounted on the stock, to the 2nd type mounted on the action. He also thinks the damage to the action could be repaired, by someone with the correct skills, and submitted for reproof. I hope to pass his way sometime so that I can take the gun to him in person, and if the cost isn't prohibitive I will try to have it repaired and use it again. 

4 hours ago, Huntly said:

A little update about the George Gibbs, Mark did indeed respond to my query promptly ..........

Thank you for the update; Mark certainly knows his bstuff.