la bala

Working with stainless steel.

titainium or colbart tipped drills...........lots of coolant fluid...............much depends on the grade of stainless

I always use decent quality drills and lots of lubricant, at slow speed and applying enough pressure on the drill so that it does not skid on the stainless.

If I can drill the piece using the lathe, I get better results.

I use HSS taps and tap lubricant, backing off the tap every 1/4 turn.

The biggest problem that I have found, however is the variable quality of stainless steel. Sometimes it can be a right cow to work

So many grades. I have found on some I could drill no problem others was like trying to drill glass. Have not had to thread any but assume the same. Heh! but I'm no expert only what I have experienced.  As with all drilling tapping...plenty of fluid.

Comments taken on board, thanks lads.

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

titainium or colbart tipped drills...........lots of coolant fluid...............much depends on the grade of stainless

Is that the brass coloured ones that are made in china :lol:

I once went to a cash carry with the pub landlord to get beer there where some cheap and i mean cheap drills there he put a packet in with his order when we got back to the pub he gave me the drills for helping him any way i took them home couple days later was drill 316 stainless i broke the only drill i had so i thought would try them drills bloody hell the went through like butter stillgot a couple thats after over 25 years

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

La Bala, what size holes and through what thickness and grade of Stainless steel?

thats the trick.........................what grade..?

1 hour ago, snow white said:

I once went to a cash carry with the pub landlord to get beer there where some cheap and i mean cheap drills there he put a packet in with his order when we got back to the pub he gave me the drills for helping him any way i took them home couple days later was drill 316 stainless i broke the only drill i had so i thought would try them drills bloody hell the went through like butter stillgot a couple thats after over 25 years

A brand new cheap drill will usually make a better fist of it than a blunt or badly sharpened quality drill - but not for long!

Proper Tallow will be your friend here, as mentioned above low drill speed, not too much pressure and lots of Tallow if you can find it, not many places sell it anymore because it's an animal product, but it is by far the best cutting compound you'll ever use.

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Proper Tallow will be your friend here, as mentioned above low drill speed, not too much pressure and lots of Tallow if you can find it, not many places sell it anymore because it's an animal product, but it is by far the best cutting compound you'll ever use.

why .................pray tell. your secrets..................

Because stainless gets the surface layers hot before the centre of the material the tallow takes the heat out of the material 

anyway all you need to know is what works follow newbie advice 😊👍

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

why .................pray tell. your secrets..................

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Because stainless gets the surface layers hot before the centre of the material the tallow takes the heat out of the material 

anyway all you need to know is what works follow newbie advice 😊👍

:good: yes, apply regularly and it will be no problem. Other compounds don't come close to Tallow in my experience.

8 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

They have it on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mutton-tallow-1-ounce/132586462659?hash=item1edec4ddc3:g:z14AAOSw2q9a1cAz

If you're tapping it, drill it a little bigger than what the tapping drill says, say m10 x 1.5 is a 8.5mm drill, in 304 and 316 we'd always go for 11/32th which is 8.73, snap alot less drills that way.

Best thing is a good sharp drill, not too fast of a speed and plenty of coolant.