Jump to content
archi

Eley zenith - are they as good as the hype

    Recommended Posts

    At the end of the day, no one is going to 'wash' poor quality shot. However, even though so treated it will have little or no effect on quality shot distortion-wise as it travels down the barrel. To offset distortion, the shot would need to be 'plated'. So, arguably, what you have is a cartridge with good shot. Not tried Eley but have Hull - because they were bought at a price favourable to a simple good cartridge - and did get the vague impression that they might just have a better penetration but I can't back that up with evidence. Would I fork out more on my pension for them? No, but settle for a quality simple lead cartridge when required -  might even be called 'Diamond'.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Is there such a thing as a bad cartridge these days? Even the cheapest you can buy will do the job if you do your bit right. As Public Enemy said 'Don't believe the hype'

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

    Is there such a thing as a bad cartridge these days? Even the cheapest you can buy will do the job if you do your bit right. As Public Enemy said 'Don't believe the hype'

    I was thinking this the other day, I started patterning the 8 or so different loads through the 686 and found at 30 yards and half choke none threw a horrendous pattern and none really stood out, clear pigeon 32g 6 fibre was probably slightly denser but that was it. 

    Jockers both in clay and pigeon spec were a bit punchy, not sure whether that's because they are cheap or it's a light gun, I did use a box of the 24g Plas 7 1/2 up at high lodge yesterday and while they aren't as smooth as 24g Fblu they wernt too bad. 

    I really wouldn't and glad I'm don't get drawn into the hype around cartridges. High lodge we're selling titanium strikes yesterday for £71 a slab, I was told they'd knocked the price down to get them moving, not surprised to be honest. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    As for perfect shot anyone seen the patterns of carts with tear drop and misshapen shot. 

    Surprisingly good.  I can't see the Zenith being any better than other premium cartridges.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I have tried a handfull,    put the pattern in the right place and they work but no better and no worse than VIP 30s my usual load.        I used them through 3/4 + 1/2.     They are not though as fast as some would lead you to believe, not as quick as most top end game cartridges such as VIP,  but at sensible ranges the difference is not apparent.

    I think the main selling point is the copper plates shot,  so if a lead ban comes in Eley have something arguably better than Bismuth,   the cartridge in my book is designed for SBS use,  around 1250 fps on the Eley web site and fairly soft on the shoulder given that the ones I tried were 32s.  


    A

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

    I have tried a handfull,    put the pattern in the right place and they work but no better and no worse than VIP 30s my usual load.        I used them through 3/4 + 1/2.     They are not though as fast as some would lead you to believe, not as quick as most top end game cartridges such as VIP,  but at sensible ranges the difference is not apparent.

    I think the main selling point is the copper plates shot,  so if a lead ban comes in Eley have something arguably better than Bismuth,   the cartridge in my book is designed for SBS use,  around 1250 fps on the Eley web site and fairly soft on the shoulder given that the ones I tried were 32s.  


    A

    if lead was banned you would not be allowed to use copper plated lead shot!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Yep 

    Just another marketing hype and look at the price of them  32g about £390 per thou    And i do'nt think they'll be any better than my RC sipe prestige 32g at £324 per thou

    I shoot with a few different guns and i have'nt seen anyone using these zenith  even the beats i go to Never seen any guns using them

    Has anyone on here seen anyone using them?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, sabel25 said:

    Yep 

    Just another marketing hype and look at the price of them  32g about £390 per thou    And i do'nt think they'll be any better than my RC sipe prestige 32g at £324 per thou

    I shoot with a few different guns and i have'nt seen anyone using these zenith  even the beats i go to Never seen any guns using them

    Has anyone on here seen anyone using them?

    Are they any better than Clear Pigeon 32g at about £230?

    I very much doubt it.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    They're got to better as the copper plating blends with the autumn colours so the birds can't see the shot coming. This is the reason to buy you can hit more birds so they are actually cheaper per bird. 

    To the manufacturers you can use that claptrap above for your marketing next season 😀

    Pattern any same size and weight pigeon cart again at them and see if you can see where the extra money is.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Sometimes you have to ask how different they can be, Eley are owned by Maxam who also own Rio and Saga! I’ll bet they pretty much share wads, powder hulls etc 

    Eleys top line cartridge is the copper coated zenith, Rios is a copper coated Royal! 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    38 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

    Sometimes you have to ask how different they can be, Eley are owned by Maxam who also own Rio and Saga! I’ll bet they pretty much share wads, powder hulls etc 

    Eleys top line cartridge is the copper coated zenith, Rios is a copper coated Royal! 

    Spot on

    I had said the exact same to a friend a while back via email  Eley vip 16g are made in Spain

    Gamebore also share others components so their copper coated loads could well be the same

    Cheddite make a copper coated cartridges " Royal Drive"  at £50 per thousand cheaper than Zenith  and alot of cartridge companies use Cheddite components

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    12 minutes ago, sabel25 said:

    Spot on

    I had said the exact same to a friend a while back via email  Eley vip 16g are made in Spain

    Gamebore also share others components so their copper coated loads could well be the same

    Cheddite make a copper coated cartridges " Royal Drive"  at £50 per thousand cheaper than Zenith  and alot of cartridge companies use Cheddite components

    Gamebore are owned by the Kent cartridge company, another global interest, they do seem to use European components though! 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, johnnytheboy said:

    Gamebore are owned by the Kent cartridge company, another global interest, they do seem to use European components though! 

    Then you have your Caledonian cartridges in scotland taken over by Eley hawk in 2011 now owned by Maxam Spain

    They even use similar box design ie XL Suposed to be made to the Caledonian recipe.  I wonder?

    supplied by Trustach. Kincardineshire ( Who deliver for £5.00 per thousand ) at £87 per slab   for 32g fibre

    But what are you buying?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    26 minutes ago, sabel25 said:

    Then you have your Caledonian cartridges in scotland taken over by Eley hawk in 2011 now owned by Maxam Spain

    They even use similar box design ie XL Suposed to be made to the Caledonian recipe.  I wonder?

    supplied by Trustach. Kincardineshire ( Who deliver for £5.00 per thousand ) at £87 per slab   for 32g fibre

    But what are you buying?

    I have a ton of game cartridges left over from the chrono test so I’m using them up as my funds are not quite what they were before! Hence why the cartridge test has slowed down 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, johnnytheboy said:

    I have a ton of game cartridges left over from the chrono test so I’m using them up as my funds are not quite what they were before! Hence why the cartridge test has slowed down 

    Sorry

    What i meant was  what are We shooting regarding all the intereaction of all these mother companies

    Do you shoot anything  as your doing all these chrono tests ( which are quite informational )

    Thanks

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    13 hours ago, sabel25 said:

    Then you have your Caledonian cartridges in scotland taken over by Eley hawk in 2011 now owned by Maxam Spain

    They even use similar box design ie XL Suposed to be made to the Caledonian recipe.  I wonder?

    supplied by Trustach. Kincardineshire ( Who deliver for £5.00 per thousand ) at £87 per slab   for 32g fibre

    But what are you buying?

    they wanted £5 delivery for each 250 slab when i looked

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 18 December 2018 at 12:12, figgy said:

    As for perfect shot anyone seen the patterns of carts with tear drop and misshapen shot.

    Surprisingly good.  I can't see the Zenith being any better than other premium cartridges.

    Figgy  years ago I opened up a Baikel  cartridge it had several size of shot in it and most were not round but they  patterned realy well  and killed most things I shot at from clays to ducks they were 32gm  7 on the box and at £48 per 1000  and they were in a wooden crate we used as a log basket  happy days and yes they did flash and bang but through a remmey 1100 were tolerable.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, andrewluke said:

    they wanted £5 delivery for each 250 slab when i looked

    I may have misread the postage details

    2 hours ago, propercartridges said:

    try my copper coated at 280 per 1000 in 32 gram fibre they tell me they are very good         george 07714 323 909

    Hi George

    Been meaning to get your way I'll give you a call and may try your copper carts

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×