Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pigeon controller

Out in The Hot Sun

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

We had two calls this weekend , one return trip to the turnips and one to downed barley. So we headed out at 08.00 to shoot the turnips and crows on the sheep food. The idea was to shoot till eleven and then move off on to the barley. As we drove up the sheep field it was evident that the crows were on the sheep food and watching the field the flightline to the turnips was close. So we set up for the crows and put out six crows around the feeders and twelve pigeons to the right of us . All the decoys were on spikes, the crows were the first to return and I tried to shoot with my new prescription sunglasses much to the amusement of DB absolute carp. A few pigeons showed interest and paid the price. At 11.00 I went to view the downed barley with the intention to move if it was viable. I view the field, nothing , two blow holes the size of a Disco , put up a shot and six birds lifted . Drove down along the first field to the second field and it was as perfect as one of DJogs lawns, not a bird. Put up six shots and nothing moved out of the trees so decided to retreat and go back to the turnips and the Pigeons and the  crows.

When I arrived back , we had a visiter from Coventry one of the TopGunners team. We made him welcome and extracted the pith at every opportunity with the classic " Dont miss these two"  and he did. He did chastise me for shooting crows on the floor but I did explain I  was also cutting the grass. For some reason my shooting technique left my brain, the method should be two coming in let the first one land shoot the second and the first when it lifts, for some reason I was shooting the first and trying to shoot the second which was spooked. Old Age thats what I put it down to. We shot till 17.00 and the total for the day was one hundred and two pigeons and One hundred and twentyeight corvids. I posted a picture to the Farmer and he suggested I send it to a Mr Chris Packham!!!!!

 

IMG-1473.jpg

128 Corvids and 102 Pigeons. I think the dogs tired!!!

Edited by pigeon controller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if the police got a hold of that photo they would track you down and arrest you for making netting out of old ladys nickers.....

 

:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You lost me. You went back to shoot the turnips and the crows but ended up with 102 pigeons?

We need a picture of you in the new sun glasses. I imagine you looking like a Mexican cartel member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JDog said:

You lost me. You went back to shoot the turnips and the crows but ended up with 102 pigeons?

We need a picture of you in the new sun glasses. I imagine you looking like a Mexican cartel member.

"El Colomba Mortosa"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDog said:

You lost me. You went back to shoot the turnips and the crows but ended up with 102 pigeons?

We need a picture of you in the new sun glasses. I imagine you looking like a Mexican cartel member.

We set up on the grass field next to the turnip field to shoot the crows and the decoys for the pigeons at the side of us under the flightline to the turnips. The first twenty odd pigeons were more flighting birds than decoyers, but after that they came in range well.

We use to shoot crows and pigeons together in the past but you can not use any magnest etc as the crows seem to be wary but the pigeons seem to have confidence being close to the crows but not mixed.

With respect to the Cartel Member I would have to dye the supertash black for effect!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ditchman said:

if the police got a hold of that photo they would track you down and arrest you for making netting out of old ladys nickers.....

 

:good:

Its very difficult to tell the colours you are stealing off the washing lines in the dark at night, but the aroma when it gets wet sends the dog loopy!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pigeon controller said:

Its very difficult to tell the colours you are stealing off the washing lines in the dark at night, but the aroma when it gets wet sends the dog loopy!!!!!!!!

:lol::good:..........must have a nose to it like a fine wine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

:good:..........must have a nose to it like a fine wine...

Your definition of FINE WINE and mine are vastly different!:shout:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pest control at its best, no doubt those corvids would soon be helping themselves to the laid Barley, along with the pigeons too. I am a little disappointed you did not cut down all of those trees behind you before you shot as that may have deterred the birds without the need for lethal methods. But I suppose you live and learn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Pest control at its best, no doubt those corvids would soon be helping themselves to the laid Barley, along with the pigeons too. I am a little disappointed you did not cut down all of those trees behind you before you shot as that may have deterred the birds without the need for lethal methods. But I suppose you live and learn.

We tried but the hacksaw blade broke and the chainsaw was out of petrol!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

We tried but the hacksaw blade broke and the chainsaw was out of petrol!!!!!!!

You Sir are a damned amateur, please be better prepared next time!:whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, muncher said:

Nicely done PC,Motty and I tried 3 fields yesterday to not much joy.

I think Motty is keeping his clover field a guarded secret until you are back at work :lol: , I went as far as Cromer today for a run out and saw stacks of Wheat and Barley fields either down or large patches laying at an angle , there were pigeons down feeding and several sitting on the telegraph wires but if they were acting like the field I was on yesterday afternoon they had a great deal of choice once they were disturbed and after a few shots they were never seen again and it ended up sitting there enjoying the sunshine with very little shooting .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I think Motty is keeping his clover field a guarded secret until you are back at work :lol: , I went as far as Cromer today for a run out and saw stacks of Wheat and Barley fields either down or large patches laying at an angle , there were pigeons down feeding and several sitting on the telegraph wires but if they were acting like the field I was on yesterday afternoon they had a great deal of choice once they were disturbed and after a few shots they were never seen again and it ended up sitting there enjoying the sunshine with very little shooting .

No you were trying non lethal means so if they are there later blast away:good::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great result for the supertash! I think you would look the part with a jet black facial adornment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 23/06/2019 at 07:34, JDog said:

You lost me. You went back to shoot the turnips and the crows but ended up with 102 pigeons?

We need a picture of you in the new sun glasses. I imagine you looking like a Mexican cartel member.

 

On 23/06/2019 at 08:32, ditchman said:

"El Colomba Mortosa"

 

23 hours ago, motty said:

Great result for the supertash! I think you would look the part with a jet black facial adornment.

IMG-1479.jpg

Following your recent comments the local Drug Dealers have rejected me but I've been recruited by another " Brummie " gang. The Beaky Blinders.

Edited by pigeon controller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that would not go down well on your shotgun renewal picture , the specs should scare a few pigeons though , are you going over to the dark side , or are you taking a dim view of things apart from that , well done my son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...