Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Miroku_Dave

Last knife of Summer leave....

Recommended Posts

Last knife of leave finished and back to work tomorrow.... I’m a bit excited about this one 😍

It’s 8670 steel heat treated to 860 degrees in my makeshift forge, quenched in rapeseed oil and tempered in the oven for one hour at 160 degrees to a hardness of 60HRc. 

It’s has black G10 liners and a Raffir Poplar Burl stabilised wooden handle with two mosaic pins and a brass lanyard tube. 

It has a leather lanyard with a Thor’s Hammer lanyard bead. 

It features my awesome makers mark and I’m extremely proud to put it on this one!  

Another bonus feature is the carbon layers that appear when heat treating have left a nice pattern on the blade, looks kind of like forge marks so I left them in. 

So what do you reckon? 😎🔪👍

8088686F-5E61-475F-8D17-68E1D049F837.jpeg

CF5FA702-76B8-4810-863B-EE81D496AAD7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup...................thatll do nicely .................no complaints at all..............its just right.........and more over...it dont look like a weapon....it looks like a real quality tool.........

love to see one with antler scales....:whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

yup...................thatll do nicely .................no complaints at all..............its just right.........and more over...it dont look like a weapon....it looks like a real quality tool.........

love to see one with antler scales....:whistling:

Cheers mate. 🤣 I will do antler scales soon I promise!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Again Very nice, 

But if I may....?

The grain, the colour of that handle is just crying out for shine juice.

A couple of coats of shellac well maybe quite a few, let it dry completely it will be shiny then a rub over with 1000 grit, and then the shine juice, Super glue and it will look like its been covered in glass. Car polish also works a treat but not like super glue.

There is so much going on in those handle scales they don't seem to have "popped"  in the pictures. Not a criticism just an observation.

Edited by fatchap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Again Very nice, 

But if I may....?

The grain, the colour of that handle is just crying out for shine juice.

A couple of coats of shellac well maybe quite a few, let it dry completely it will be shiny then a rub over with 1000 grit, and then the shine juice, Super glue and it will look like its been covered in glass.

There is so much going on in those handle scales they don't seem to have "popped"  in the pictures. Not a criticism just an observation.

Cheers mate, I’m going to get some shellac tomorrow, I can’t seem to find ‘shine juice’ anywhere though? 

Do you mean normal superglue or is it wood specific? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Its normal superglue. Put a drop of Raw linseed oil on a soft cloth, oil/polish cloths are best then a couple of drops of superglue in the middle of the linseed oil. 2-3 drops should be enough to do one side then just wipe it across, The shine is amazing. And its also pretty tough as finishes go, takes a lot of abuse and still looks cool.

Edited by fatchap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Its normal superglue. Put a drop of Raw linseed oil on a soft cloth, oil/polish cloths are best then a couple of drops of superglue in the middle of the linseed oil. 2-3 drops should be enough to do one side then just wipe it across, The shine is amazing. And its also pretty tough as finishes go, takes a lot of abuse and still looks cool.

Cool cheers mate, I’ll give it a go 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done M_D, love the wood you've used for the handle, I always have a soft spot for burl, curly birch, maple etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice, my kind of knife. A easy carry very usable in the field knife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Very nice work - Where did you get the pins from?

I got them from Ground Flat Stock in Bedale mate. They've got a website, but be warned, your credit card will get a hammering when you see some of the materials they sell!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Miroku_Dave said:

I got them from Ground Flat Stock in Bedale mate. They've got a website, but be warned, your credit card will get a hammering when you see some of the materials they sell!!

Ta!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely piece of craftsman ship can I ask what the best sharpening angle is for knives 🔪 field and kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...