JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

News pictures of the week on BBC.

Placard reading   Defend Democracy  -  Stop Boris   --  Stop Brexit

Where do these people get their idea of what democracy is???

The Devil can cite scripture for his purpose (Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice) 

Edited by Vince Green

8 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Where do these people get their idea of what democracy is???:exclamation:

😂 It truly beggars belief! I can't figure out if they're just thick, or just blinkered in their campaign, or just arrogantly believe that they are right and everyone else is wrong, so their hypocrisy doesn't matter. It genuinely baffles me!

1 minute ago, Scully said:

😂 It truly beggars belief! I can't figure out if they're just thick, or just blinkered in their campaign, or just arrogantly believe that they are right and everyone else is wrong, so their hypocrisy doesn't matter. It genuinely baffles me!

I suspect all of the above.

Like a petulant child who can get its own way they just scream louder and stamp their feet harder

I noticed yesterday that Corbyn was calling for civil disobedience. It didn't take long for his mask to slip. Same old Communist agitator at heart 

Edited by Vince Green

10 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

The politicians will probably ignore us – as they usually do – but they can't say they haven't been told.

Can't argue with this bit.. .... Comment sites have become the domain of mob rule and the death of reasoned discourse. "

Really? On this site and every other social domain, each person gets a voice and can put across their point ( rightly or wrongly ) without interruption. Everyone has a voice. That is becoming less common in public debates such as TV or radio, or indeed in public, where the aggressor will, can and does, interrupt, and shout over their opponents to stifle their opinions. 

20 minutes ago, Scully said:

It is very likely that the people who go on these 'protests' do so for a 'day out'.  The actual underlying reason for the demonstration is of no real relevance, they can meet with all the comrades, have a good shout and a good time, maybe even manage a bit of vandalism on the side, or knock of a policeman's helmet or two if they get lucky.  Just like the flying pickets of the 1970s, the CND protests of a decade earlier. 

There is an undercurrent of people on the left who live this sort of life (and a similar one on the right, though probably smaller). No job, live on handouts, believe in a state where work isn't needed and should be voluntary.  I doubt either side really know what democracy means.

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

It is very likely that the people who go on these 'protests' do so for a 'day out'.  The actual underlying reason for the demonstration is of no real relevance, they can meet with all the comrades, have a good shout and a good time, maybe even manage a bit of vandalism on the side, or knock of a policeman's helmet or two if they get lucky.  Just like the flying pickets of the 1970s, the CND protests of a decade earlier. 

There is an undercurrent of people on the left who live this sort of life (and a similar one on the right, though probably smaller). No job, live on handouts, believe in a state where work isn't needed and should be voluntary.  I doubt either side really know what democracy means.

Used to be called "Rentamob"

Similar thing with signing petitions on line!

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Used to be called "Rentamob"

That's the lot!  In those days they were given free coach transport organised by the Unions.  Maybe Momentum is arranging that now, though I expect they all have cars now (being on benefits).

40 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Where do these people get their idea of what democracy is???

They will say your idea is wrong.. Having a vote and getting a result they don't want isn't democracy to them

20 minutes ago, Scully said:

That is becoming less common in public debates such as TV or radio, or indeed in public, where the aggressor will, can and does, interrupt, and shout over their opponents to stifle their opinions. 

Just like on PW then.

/M

14 hours ago, pinfireman said:

Sorry, but I HAVE seen it for myself!

I have seen it as well, the point is that UK is no better/worse then anybody else.

/M

20 minutes ago, Nuke said:

Just like on PW then.

Well not really, for the reasons I've already given. If you stay within the bounds of the forum rules ( similarly to any other organised debate online ) your voice gets heard, and your opinions aired. Others may disagree, but they can't stop you airing them or stifle your voice, unlike a public platform. Your opinions are there for all to see. 

34 minutes ago, Scully said:

Well not really, for the reasons I've already given. If you stay within the bounds of the forum rules ( similarly to any other organised debate online ) your voice gets heard, and your opinions aired. Others may disagree, but they can't stop you airing them or stifle your voice, unlike a public platform. Your opinions are there for all to see. 

There is quite a lot of shouting/bullying to try and intimidate people from contributing, you need to dare to post your meaning for it to be heard in the first place.

/M

22 minutes ago, Nuke said:

There is quite a lot of shouting/bullying to try and intimidate people from contributing, you need to dare to post your meaning for it to be heard in the first place.

/M

Having your say is not the issue you seem to think it is, however the common issue there does seem to be is the same few keep saying the same thing over and over again. If there is a new development then debate is good but when the argument from the remain team is constantly echoed it can be a little tiresome.

2 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

Having your say is not the issue you seem to think it is, however the common issue there does seem to be is the same few keep saying the same thing over and over again. If there is a new development then debate is good but when the argument from the remain team is constantly echoed it can be a little tiresome.

And vice versa also applies.

Lets face it, we should agree to disagree and close the thread down. It’s been going around in circles, more times than the hands on Big Ben!

1 hour ago, Scully said:

On this site and every other social domain, each person gets a voice and can put across their point ( rightly or wrongly ) without interruption.

Sure. But the problem is that domains are almost exclusively tribal. I could show you  the contents of a comment section of random national newspaper and without being told you'd know after reading a dozen comments which newspaper it belonged to. And it doesn't matter which paper it is, I'll almost guarantee that the vast majority of the comments will be negative. It might be the way things just are nowadays, but it's not healthy.