BREXIT

JohnfromUK

12 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Is it so that when / if it happens or not, that one side can berate the other and say “told you so” or such like

I have no interest in berating anyone for their point of view, before or after we leave, as long as they don't use veiled rhetoric that insinuates we have sub standard intelligence, are morally inferior, or hold 'extreme' views. 

A good example of this, is the recent trend calling people supporting no deal, as Brexit extremists. 

It's disingenuous, inaccurate, and tries to elevate a reasonable point of view to something akin to a terrorist, or someone who supports it. 

Again, my interest is in what I think best, for me, mine, and by extension the country. 

And in that we are no different I'm sure. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting times ahead. The remainers should tell us why we should accept no brexit and fully explain why they think it is democratic to do so. they cannot tell us what we lose or gain by staying in. If corbyn thinks that boris is leader by default then he should look at his own party first Brown was deputy leader no one in his party voted him in he took over when the cheshire cat left to make his vast fortune. The EU runs in the same way unelected leaders and they call it democracy! Just on a point if BREXIT is overturned heaven forbid will we end up bailing out the 4th Riech and having taxation harmony with the rest of EU. how will our NHS be funded etc.?  Too many kids are being brainwashed by their parents to  to follow in their footsteps instead of letting them think (something that is lacking in todays political climate) for themselves. BORIS for PM NIGEL for deputy get the job done and look towards a bright future unchained from the sinking ship!   PS does HM have the power to say who she wants to be deputy PM( if this goes belly up) until a GE?

Edited by armsid

56 minutes ago, armsid said:

PS does HM have the power to say who she wants to be deputy PM( if this goes belly up) until a GE?

Very good point - I'd imagine its the PM's decision - and one I hope he has filled with a decisive leaver just in case he's ousted.

While I was out shooting this has appeared on the BBC News website!

MPs who want to stop a no-deal Brexit will seek to bring forward legislation against it this week, shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer has said.

He said the plan was to prevent the PM "from taking us out of the EU without a deal" but he did not go into detail.

Cabinet minister Michael Gove refused to guarantee that the government would abide by it if it passed, saying: "Let's see what the legislation says."

The government is "not doing anything to facilitate a no deal", he said.

Mr Gove also said "some" food prices "may go up" and "other prices will come down" in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Meanwhile, the EU's lead Brexit negotiator has rejected Boris Johnson's demands for the controversial Irish backstop to be scrapped.

The UK is due to leave the EU on 31 October, with or without a deal.

The prime minister says he is willing to leave without one rather than miss the deadline, which has prompted a number of opposition MPs to unite to try and block a possible no deal.

27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The prime minister says he is willing to leave without one

Which should come as no surprise to anyone.  Even Mrs May said that "no deal was better than a bad deal". 

This ideas they are putting forward that they have had no forewarning (when they agreed the bill to leave on a fixed date - deal or no deal) - or insufficient time (3 years insufficient?) are utter nonsense.

Parliament themselves agreed the original leaving date (29th March) knowing full well that if there was no deal by that date we would still be leaving under the law they themselves set.  So this idea that there has been no democratic scrutiny is also nonsense.

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I have no interest in berating anyone for their point of view, before or after we leave, as long as they don't use veiled rhetoric that insinuates we have sub standard intelligence, are morally inferior, or hold 'extreme' views. 

A good example of this, is the recent trend calling people supporting no deal, as Brexit extremists. 

It's disingenuous, inaccurate, and tries to elevate a reasonable point of view to something akin to a terrorist, or someone who supports it. 

Again, my interest is in what I think best, for me, mine, and by extension the country. 

And in that we are no different I'm sure. 

And the derogatory ‘remoaner’ inferring all we do is whinge,or ‘remaniac’ inferring mental instability or the inability to process rational thinking?

Two associates have forwarded to me the petition to stop proroguing parliament until A50 has been extended or the UK’s intention to leave the EU  has been stopped! Like I’ve always said, nothing to do with no deal, but everything to do with overturning the referendum result. 

I notice over a million people have signed it so far. 

Anyhow, I have asked them that if they’re are so concerned about democracy, if they think the democratically arrived at referendum result should be honoured. 

Theyve has since last night to reply, so far neither have. Should make for a few awkward moments when we next bump into each other. 🙂

4 hours ago, Jaymo said:

And the derogatory ‘remoaner’ inferring all we do is whinge,or ‘remaniac’ inferring mental instability or the inability to process rational thinking?

Used seldom by myself, and used by others often in retort to similar jibes. 

23 hours ago, armsid said:

interesting times ahead. The remainers should tell us why we should accept no brexit and fully explain why they think it is democratic to do so. they cannot tell us what we lose or gain by staying in. If corbyn thinks that boris is leader by default then he should look at his own party first Brown was deputy leader no one in his party voted him in he took over when the cheshire cat left to make his vast fortune. The EU runs in the same way unelected leaders and they call it democracy! Just on a point if BREXIT is overturned heaven forbid will we end up bailing out the 4th Riech and having taxation harmony with the rest of EU. how will our NHS be funded etc.?  Too many kids are being brainwashed by their parents to  to follow in their footsteps instead of letting them think (something that is lacking in todays political climate) for themselves. BORIS for PM NIGEL for deputy get the job done and look towards a bright future unchained from the sinking ship!   PS does HM have the power to say who she wants to be deputy PM( if this goes belly up) until a GE?

I don't necessarily think it's parents, but schools and universities that are indoctrinating children and young adults. My soon to be ex step daughter is a point in question; both her mother and I are 'leavers' but she is a rabid remainer and climate change disciple, (can't recycle for toffee though :lol:) both of which were and are heavily pushed at both her school and university.

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 10:08, Dave-G said:

I'd support that moral if its only those whose electorate voted to leave, but feel it would be wrong if their electorate voted remain.

Yes I can see that point but at this stage any Tory MP who votes against his own party could very well bring down their own government. No MP should deserve to re-stand as a Conservative candidate in the election that followed under those circumstances.

20 hours ago, Jaymo said:

I am a Brexiteer which means I didn't know what I was voting for because I am a white middle aged racist bigot of low intellect who believed something that was written on the side of a bus.

Fact is,  I still do believe what was written on the side of the bus, nobody has demonstrated what was ACTUALLY written was not true 

Deutsche Bank’s chief economist, David Folkerts-Landau, not only says that over the medium and long-term a ‘No Deal’ Brexit will make no difference to the British economy, he says an inadequate deal which constrained the British economy would be “a second best solution”. Confirming what many in Downing Street believe, namely that even without the back-stop, May’s regulatory-aligned deal would have detrimentally constrained the dynamic British economy. So-called “regulatory alignment” is an EU imposed constraint on unleashing the British economy to out compete turgid EU rivals. As the leaked French memo on Friday revealed, Paris fears a resurgent, deregulated dynamic British economy…

Source: Guido Fawkes

bLAIR-BACKED-BORIS-1.png?resize=540%2C308&ssl=1

Over the last couple of days, Government ministers have avoided answering whether they would allow the Queen to approve to any legislation passed by Parliament designed to prevent Brexit on the 31st. Naturally, Remainers have reacted with outrage…

Back in January a Policy Exchange paper by Sir Stephen Laws QC argued that the executive’s role in approving legislation is fundamental to the UK’s constitution, and passing laws without executive approval upsets the UK’s constitutional order.

Guido can now reveal there is extensive precedent of Governments asking the Queen to not sign legislation they don’t approve. Anti-Brexit spokesman Tony Blair himself used this power on a number of occasions to “quell politically embarrassing backbench rebellions”. Perhaps most notably to block a bill by Tam Dalyell in 1999 that aimed to give MPs a vote on military action against Saddam Hussein.

Going further back, Labour PM Harold Wilson used the Queen’s veto to kill off two “politically embarrassing bills” about peerages and Zimbabwean independence, in 1964 and 1969 respectively

Alastair Campbell has been reacting furiously to Gove’s refusal to commit the government to obeying any law parliament passes; when 

31 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

bLAIR-BACKED-BORIS-1.png?resize=540%2C308&ssl=1

Over the last couple of days, Government ministers have avoided answering whether they would allow the Queen to approve to any legislation passed by Parliament designed to prevent Brexit on the 31st. Naturally, Remainers have reacted with outrage…

Back in January a Policy Exchange paper by Sir Stephen Laws QC argued that the executive’s role in approving legislation is fundamental to the UK’s constitution, and passing laws without executive approval upsets the UK’s constitutional order.

Guido can now reveal there is extensive precedent of Governments asking the Queen to not sign legislation they don’t approve. Anti-Brexit spokesman Tony Blair himself used this power on a number of occasions to “quell politically embarrassing backbench rebellions”. Perhaps most notably to block a bill by Tam Dalyell in 1999 that aimed to give MPs a vote on military action against Saddam Hussein.

Going further back, Labour PM Harold Wilson used the Queen’s veto to kill off two “politically embarrassing bills” about peerages and Zimbabwean independence, in 1964 and 1969 respectively

Alastair Campbell has been reacting furiously to Gove’s refusal to commit the government to obeying any law parliament passes; when 

I am constantly frustrated by reporters NOT asking the relevant questions! 

Anyhow, Blair popped up on a programme I was watching earlier, and I couldn’t believe how urgent I was to find the remote....I despise that man more than is healthy. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I am constantly frustrated by reporters NOT asking the relevant questions! 

Anyhow, Blair popped up on a programme I was watching earlier, and I couldn’t believe how urgent I was to find the remote....I despise that man more than is healthy. 

me too