BREXIT

JohnfromUK

39 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Boris tell them to **** off!

Not going to happen. Fisheries will be traded for something more important - financial services access for example.

Good article on fisheries here.https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/economics-and-finance/brexit-talks-will-show-why-a-better-deal-for-uk-fisheries-is-not-on-the-menu

Edited by Retsdon

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

Yeah great article that...
'Fishermen are famous for exaggerating the size of their catch. “You should have seen the one that got away,” they boast. Well, Brexit has turned this into an art form.'

Very sensible observation, they do realise we are talking about commercial fishing ?'

The daftness continues..

'After years of decline, the UK’s fisheries industry is tiny, accounting for 0.12 per cent of UK GDP. '

Err, why do you think that it is ? Could it have something to do with quotas and restrictions al a EU ?

'The UK got a raw deal on fisheries when it joined the then European Economic Community in 1973. Just as the UK was finalising negotiations on entry to the EEC, the six founding members reached a deal on sharing access to waters. '

Yes we know , thats why our fishing industry got destroyed, duh !

'For UK fishermen to increase their quota sevenfold after Brexit would mean other EU countries handing over some of their quota to the UK.'

I dont quite think the author is getting the general idea !

In fact, many on the EU side think the UK will have to give away even more fish in order to maintain access to EU markets for the country’s financial services sector.

Ah , I see where you got your 'inside' information now, total speculation from a pro EU source about how they would like to see things pan out !

Fishing might not mean a lot to most people, weve been used to overpriced fish for decades, but to coastal communities its everything.
It must mean a lot to EU countries too, as they keep using it as a bargaining chip, either that , or  they believe it can be the thorn in the side of UK negotiators ?
Or do they just really like fish over there ?:hmm:

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Ah , I see where you got your 'inside' information now,

Actually, not really. It's just that that article is short enough to read and covers the main points. I see you didn't  mention the bit about the sale of catch quotas to the highest bidders, something other EU countries don't  allow.

19 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Good in the sense of informative. 

No , its totally speculative , biased, and pretty ANTI UK.

14 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Actually, not really. It's just that that article is short enough to read and covers the main points. I see you didn't  mention the bit about the sale of catch quotas to the highest bidders, something other EU countries don't  allow.

I cant see what its got to do with it, if a UK based company wants to sell its quota, thats up to them, its a practice I think unlikely to continue once we leave, but thats just my opinion.

I particularly like this bit.

Coming back to the negotiations, there is another reason why the UK will have to accept a trade-off between giving EU fishermen access to UK waters and access to lucrative EU markets for UK-caught fish. A large part of what UK fishing vessels catch is high-value seafood like crabs and Dublin Bay prawns (or langoustines and nephrops to give them their technical name) that find a ready market on French and Spanish dining tables. UK consumers, who eat much less fish than the French and Spanish, don’t like the high-value fish so much, preferring instead white fish like cod which comes from places like Norway.

So we dont 'like' expensive fish ?

Maybe if it wasnt so expensive,because of the way the EU has loaded the market against us, the appetite for such things would increase in the UK, but lets keep imagining that the EU still s holds sway over British fishing grounds eh ?
You know what will happen when Europeans cant get the fish they like, either because we are eating it all, or it gets too dear for them ?
Ireland.. will be getting a taste of what weve had for the past 40 years, as it is forced to sell its own waters/rights/quotas.

3 hours ago, SpringDon said:

How could you think that is a “good” article? If true, it fills me with despair that there is no hope. How twisted is the wish that brexit fails that even the marine environment is expendable?

Get used to it. 

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

I rather suspect that fishing our waters will be traded for access to something like gas (for example) that's more essential to more of us than fish.

How so? 

22 minutes ago, oowee said:

Get used to it. 

How so? 

I'd like to think we will at least control our fishing but suspect access to asset trading of surplus capacity is a likely scenario. 

We'll be wanting things we can't produce enough of over here (fuelled by our population explosion) and they'll possibly make gas (example) available in return for something they can't get as easily - such as fish because they don't have much fishing waters compared to us. 

36 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I'd like to think we will at least control our fishing but suspect access to asset trading of surplus capacity is a likely scenario. 

We'll be wanting things we can't produce enough of over here (fuelled by our population explosion) and they'll possibly make gas (example) available in return for something they can't get as easily - such as fish because they don't have much fishing waters compared to us. 

We will just buy gas or products that we need.

Access to fish will be traded for market concessions. 

17 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

In a great big melting pot of all sorts. 

I think fishing is just in the too hard to do bracket given the timetable. Not many votes so easier to just give it up and say its traded for xyz concession. In many ways it seems to make sense as we would keep access to the markets in europe that buy our fish.

Am I being naive, or is the issue quotas or access?.....Are not UK fishermen currently controlled by UK government imposed (at the behest of, and in agreement with the EU) catch quotas? and do EU fishermen not currently have open access to UK waters? (dunno if foreign and/or EU fishing boats are bound by quotas from UK Waters?)

When the UK is out of the EU, are not EU fish quotas for the UK fishing boats finished? If so then UK fishermen can surely catch what they can? (Unless of course the UK government issues their own quotas to UK fishermen!)..........

This aside, for the UK government to allow controlled access (or not!) to EU fishermen into UK waters........ is a separate issue!.......and as such a decision for the UK government, and if felt appropriate, a resource with which to bargain.

Or have I got the messy end of the stick?

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Am I being naive, or is the issue quotas or access?.....Are not UK fishermen currently controlled by UK government imposed (at the behest of, and in agreement with the EU) catch quotas? and do EU fishermen not currently have open access to UK waters? (dunno if foreign and/or EU fishing boats are bound by quotas from UK Waters?)

When the UK is out of the EU, are not EU fish quotas for the UK fishing boats finished? If so then UK fishermen can surely catch what they can? (Unless of course the UK government issues their own quotas to UK fishermen!)..........

This aside, for the UK government to allow controlled access (or not!) to EU fishermen into UK waters........ is a separate issue!.......and as such a decision for the UK government, and if felt appropriate, a resource with which to bargain.

Or have I got the messy end of the stick?

Pretty much there but fish landed that the UK won't eat and which we can't sell to Europe is not much use. Also we would have to agree with Europe what are UK fish as they move about. No good setting an isolated management plan. Last fish deal took years we have a deadline. Easier to turn fishing access for a trade. 

I am afraid my fear is just that. If Boris does not solidly support the UK Fishing Industry and tell the French to sling their hook...no pun intended... then the electorate will bite back and we will have the Bailey Bridge in charge at Westminster.  If you do not believe that a large majority of British are looking for a solid arrangement protecting our fishing then you are living a very enclosed existence because I have been out for two days this week and the opinion with every single person I was with was behind a fully protected UK fishing industry and the comments re the French where not printable on this forum.

Another good article from Paul Goodman;

"On Friday at 11pm, Britain will leave the European Union.  Over a month has passed since the general election which effectively confirmed the decision.  It will take us all much longer to come to terms with the dizzying change it has brought, the best part of four years after endless Parliamentary efforts to evade the referendum instruction.  And to get used to the size and scale of Boris Johnson’s majority.  And to grasp fully that the three quarters of a century-long Conservative dispute over Europe is over, at least for the time being.  And to acclimatise ourselves to the landscape that Brexit opens up.

This week, we will be turning much of ConservativeHome over to telling the story of the past four years or so.  We will also be looking forward to Friday, and to the time beyond.  This site threw itself into campaigning for Brexit – finding itself last year in the unusual, and we hope never-to-be-repeated, position of not being able to vote Conservative. The year before we had called for the replacement of the then party leader.  These are happier times – the product of the most startling turnaround in British politics in living memory.  Welcome to Brexit Week."

It is beaters day on Saturday and I might just be a little late turning up.  Having had our noses rubbed in it for the last three years by Remoaners, I will have great pleasure in returning the favour.  Have a few friends coming to have a small celebration, drink some best English Fizz, eat some best British product.   Aren't they whinging and whining. I spoke with another person with a few years under his belt and he agreed that this whinging and whining from Remoaners is all down to the idea introduced into schools thirty odd years ago that there should be no losers. 

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I don't do links and things but have just watched a Finnish MEP, Laura Huhtasaari on youtube give the EU a verbal lashing. Maybe someone cleverer than I could find it and put it on.

There were not many happy faces on there. 

Ere' ya goes me ansum 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1232531/brexit-news-finnish-mep-Laura-Huhtasaari-eu-parliament-video-watch