Stock markets

Lampwick

hello, buying UK company shares now might help them and the economy after the UK comes out of this corvid 19 situation, share dealers from the city who are now home based will no doubt be doing this, that is how the market traders earn money for their clients

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, buying UK company shares now might help them and the economy after the UK comes out of this corvid 19 situation, share dealers from the city who are now home based will no doubt be doing this, that is how the market traders earn money for their clients

The price of a companies shares has little benefit to a company in the short term.

No trader will be buying shares for sentiment. You buy if the outlook for a company is good and therefore shares will be in demand and will go up. I can’t see any companies I would recommend to buy at the moment. 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

The price of a companies shares has little benefit to a company in the short term.

No trader will be buying shares for sentiment. You buy if the outlook for a company is good and therefore shares will be in demand and will go up. I can’t see any companies I would recommend to buy at the moment. 

I did read something last week saying China would be buying all the stocks at low prices!

2 minutes ago, AVB said:

hello, when i was buying shares it was never for the short time, my portfolio was 10 years

My stockbroker has advised sit tight. This is why ordinary investors are much better off investing in funds, you, as an individual, haven't got the background knowledge to know which shares are going to come good and which are going to crash and burn 

Edited by Vince Green

4 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I did read something last week saying China would be buying all the stocks at low prices!

A companies value is its market capitalisation (number of share in issuance X share price) so yes in theory the lower the share price then the cheaper the company is to buy. Not as simple as that though as if you buy more than 3% of a company it needs to be declared and if you want to buy a controlling stake then you need to formally make an offer to buy all the shares which set in play a defined process. 

I’m thinking of investing in Apple, Tesla and amazon. All of them are down 30-40% from the start of corvid and they all should have the finance and longevity to get through this. Might take a year or two to get back to where they were but still will be a decent return 

4 minutes ago, djrwood said:

I’m thinking of investing in Apple, Tesla and amazon. All of them are down 30-40% from the start of corvid and they all should have the finance and longevity to get through this. Might take a year or two to get back to where they were but still will be a decent return 

Tesla have a massive amount of debt a lot of which need to be repaid in the at the end of this year/early next iirc. 

Amazon perhaps as it is taking over from the high street but I see Apple struggling as people won’t have money for a new phone. 

Personally I wouldn’t be putting any money into equities for a long while. I will be selling as the markets recover a bit to recoup some of the massive losses I am sitting on. 

I wouldn't buy stocks to hold right now. Global stock prices were looking distinctly frothy even before the big crash (prices much inflated by buybacks) and nobody is able to quantify the knock-on effect of this worldwide shutdown. I've seen predictions that the S&P could go to below 1200 -  and why not? Short of actually buying company stocks to artificially goose the markets the Fed seems to be running out of ammunition. And a swing is long overdue. There hasn't been a sustained bear market for nearly 40 years and there could be a long slow downward grind from here. Just my thoughts.

The current volatility is well tradeable though if you have the stomach for it.