Gym addicts on lockdown

washerboy

The coaches at my Crossfit box have been posting home workouts for us to do but aot of folk (myself included) are struggling to some degree with feeling motivated. I have recently downloaded an app called Smartwod. They have a timer and a workout generator. Both are very good. You just input the equipment that you have (if any) and it will generate workouts for you based on that. Very handy if, like me, you get bored doing too much of the same thing or can't be bothered to plan your own workouts. 

Used to go lifting (power lifting) about 3 times a week before ... haven't done anything so far just walked the dog now and then... enjoyed the time off but it does get boring. Wish I had a full rack and bench would workout at home... just can't fit the equipment in my garage with everything else I got in there. 

I’m struggling to get motivated too. I only have 2 5kg dumbbells and have been following workouts on YouTube. I tried and failed at the start of lockdown to order a weight bench set online as absolutely everywhere had sold out.

Been cycling most days to try and keep my fitness up but really need the gym to open again. Even when they start to relax the lockdown restrictions I can’t see gyms being top of the list.

6 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I cycle 8 miles a night every night. I’ve lost mass I think .

had a few things happen my end and lost 2 st in 3 months . I feel lighter than ever .

That's all you done? Cycling?

I have dragged the bikes out a couple times this week to be fair ... need to try and get out every day on it but the gear shifter needs adjusting and I've no idea what I'm doing :lol: 

27 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I cycle 8 miles a night every night. I’ve lost mass I think .

had a few things happen my end and lost 2 st in 3 months . I feel lighter than ever .

Also getting lighter as you keep lopping parts of your body off......

obviously , a man in such amazing physical condition as myself ,( some would say god like , but im far too modest ) , needs no form of gym training :whistling:.

my lad would be at the gym five or six times every week , but hes lost just over half a stone on lockdown.

I used to go to the gym while my wife went to her class, so 50-60 minute sessions 4-6 times a week. We are now walking 6-7 times a week and have increased from 2-4 miles a day to 4-5 miles.

Both of us found it hard to start with, aching joints and muscles, however using my wife's Fitbit we are doing more in our walk than she did at work and the gym by about 50%. Feeling better and fitter than before, my only concern is I'm not doing any core work.

Been working out in the garage and have a couple of bars and 100kg of plates, can make a 40kg dumbbell so no too bad and managing to maintain size but missing been able to do heavy squats and deadlifts which is what I really enjoy, but better than nothing I guess and do some good shoulder workouts which also help the core!

After being a sub 11:30 Ironman athlete, part of a 24hour enduro running team etc... I flipped my bike last Autumn and broke a few bits including fracturing my Navicular in my foot and some ligament damage - issue is that It won’t heal so I have been on the pies and lagers since and put on 2.5 stone and was just getting back into it before the quarantine - so back to pies and lager haha. 

To get my motivation back, I dug out all my race photo’s, my kit and my nice TT bike and wheels and cleaned them for fun - that got me all excited so I went out for a 30 min out, 30 min back cycle. Was pitiful, averaged only 17mph - felt pudgy, felt slow, tried to cane it up a hill and ended up nearly puking.  BUT when I got home I realised I’d done it, my first cycle in over 6 months.

So, I now have challenged myself to: 

Run: Twice a week for only 2 mile each time (not allowed any further due to foot)

Cycle: An hour a day except the run days.

If I hit 250 miles in a month of cycling, I’ll get a special gift from the other half. If I fail, I have to give her a 60 min massage and be on clothes washing duty for the week. 

If anyone wonders how one puts on so much weight in a short period of time whilst being fit, I was training twice a day 6 days a week and eating like a pig because I could. When I couldn’t exercise, I ended up drinking shed loads of beer and doing nothing and it caught up super quick!