Electric Fence

walshie

I need to put an electric fence up, about 50-60 yards long to keep the dog in and the badgers out. I can't put up a normal fence as it would block our view of a nice little stream.

Should I buy one of the kits I've seen advertised or buy the component parts? It has to be able to run off a car battery as it's nowhere near a power supply. 

Any practical advice or things to watch out for much appreciated.

If you can I would put some high tensile fencing wire as your bottom strand.  I have had badgers bite normal electric fence wire clean through, I assume in anger after getting a smack.

They are very persistent and will dig under given the chance.

Keep the fence clear of growth as said above, even glypho a strip where the fence is going... only needs to be a foot wide.

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, they just use a 12 leisure battery, goes on for a long time, you can get solar power chargers

Cheers. I meant output. I've seen 8000 volts up to 11000 odd. Does it make a difference? They all sound painful. 

A basic fencing unit from the local, agricultural dealer will be fine coupled with a leisure battery. You will have a compromise between the height of the bottom strand and the need to strim to stop short outs or spray a strip to run the fence along. Good quality fencing wire with some springs at either end or corners to keep it taught if anything comes loose. If you put good solid posts at each end it will help to strain it.

2 hours ago, walshie said:

Cheers. I meant output. I've seen 8000 volts up to 11000 odd. Does it make a difference? They all sound painful. 

hello, not sure on that many volts, i just think its 12 volt like from the battery, i know it gives a good kick as i have found out my self night shooting, is there a local agriculture supplies

12v is the input (some are 230v transformers) they then ramp it up and pulse at 8kV+ but very very low current. I’ve used them and had a belt off them for fencing horses many times.....

work out the distance you need to fence, the number of strands and then you know the wire length. M of fence x no of strands.

https://www.gallagher.eu/en_gb/compose

Edited by HDAV

Kits from ebay will be fine, even the engergisers that run off 4x D cell batteries will stop a grown man in his tracks! As others have said anything around 8kv will more than plenty, my Pheasant pens run at around 8kv and kneeling on the bottom strand will make you cry. Just keep any and all undergrowth off it as even a blade of grass or two will drop it to near 0.

Edited by kennett

One of the farms I go rabbiting on use them to to make cattle stay on one part of the field I get to find them in the dark by getting a bloody shock I remember where they are go back couple nights later he as moved the I look for a bit can’t find them just walking round then I find one right across my thigh.

I have even took took the live wire of the battery go back later to put it back and had  another shock I hate them in the dark

8 hours ago, HDAV said:

12v is the input (some are 230v transformers) they then ramp it up and pulse at 8kV+ but very very low current. I’ve used them and had a belt off them for fencing horses many times.....

work out the distance you need to fence, the number of strands and then you know the wire length. M of fence x no of strands.

https://www.gallagher.eu/en_gb/compose

hello, reference my post your right, there is a box by the battery so i presume a transformer,

1 hour ago, kennett said:

Kits from ebay will be fine, even the engergisers that run off 4x D cell batteries will stop a grown man in his tracks! As others have said anything around 8kv will more than plenty, my Pheasant pens run at around 8kv and kneeling on the bottom strand will make you cry. Just keep any and all undergrowth off it as even a blade of grass or two will drop it to near 0.

Tell me about it. I went to do some jobs where my wife used to ride, and I touched the fence - I thought I’d been punched in the stomach and I felt really sick it was awful 😂

A good earth is one of the most important things. Don't skimp on it. Use at least 3 copper rods and wide gauge copper wire to connect them to the fencer unit.  The whole unit is only as effective as the earth it's connected to.

Edited by Retsdon

3 hours ago, walshie said:

If i had say a 5 strand fence, is it best to run from one end to the other and loop it back and forth, or to run 5 separate runs of wire and link them together somewhere?

You'll need to run them separately to tension the fence. Despite that its electrified your fence wire will still need to be under tension. So you're going to need strainer posts and tensioners. To electrify the fence, if you're using normal single strand fence wire use joint clamps and run a  separate connecting wire between the strands you want to electrify. Incidentally, you actually don't want all the wires electrified. If you want a cracker of a fence, only electrify the bottom, middle, and top wires. The two in-between ones you connect separately and run a wire from them back onto to the main charger earth wire. That way when an animal touches both wires it becomes  the direct link between the fencer and your 3 copper pole earth. It's far more effective than just having the animal be the earth themselves.  But perhaps if it's to keep your own dogs in, you might not want to do that. It gives them a hell of a belt!

Edit: But perhaps that's overkill. And it's still going to look like a fence. I don't know how you're going to keep your dogs in with less though. They'll quickly learn to jump anything that's not high enough. Wait - how about this? https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/electric-fence/electric-fence-netting.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwka_1BRCPARIsAMlUmEqvXvQA01k01geqL4OpCFvGLcgYso6_aF0MA4P0ylE-r08Krd6e4Q8aAlp9EALw_wcB

Edited by Retsdon

On 01/05/2020 at 21:45, Retsdon said:

You'll need to run them separately to tension the fence. Despite that its electrified your fence wire will still need to be under tension. So you're going to need strainer posts and tensioners. To electrify the fence, if you're using normal single strand fence wire use joint clamps and run a  separate connecting wire between the strands you want to electrify. Incidentally, you actually don't want all the wires electrified. If you want a cracker of a fence, only electrify the bottom, middle, and top wires. The two in-between ones you connect separately and run a wire from them back onto to the main charger earth wire. That way when an animal touches both wires it becomes  the direct link between the fencer and your 3 copper pole earth. It's far more effective than just having the animal be the earth themselves.  But perhaps if it's to keep your own dogs in, you might not want to do that. It gives them a hell of a belt!

Edit: But perhaps that's overkill. And it's still going to look like a fence. I don't know how you're going to keep your dogs in with less though. They'll quickly learn to jump anything that's not high enough. Wait - how about this? https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/electric-fence/electric-fence-netting.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwka_1BRCPARIsAMlUmEqvXvQA01k01geqL4OpCFvGLcgYso6_aF0MA4P0ylE-r08Krd6e4Q8aAlp9EALw_wcB

👍

On 01/05/2020 at 22:18, Essex Keeper said:

Just remember if the dog runs through it chasing a rabbit it won’t come back through it 👍👍👍😖

👍