Mask the Scots?

harkom

12 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

There are so many pros and cons to face mask use so I think it's down to the individual  and that is where the decision should be left .

No in my job I deal with members of the public and it is not uncommon to see small particles of saliva exiting their mouths and landing everywhere when they talk. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

There are so many pros and cons to face mask use so I think it's down to the individual  and that is where the decision should be left .

As far as wee Jimmy is concerned she was also asked on the Andrew Marr show shortly after her face mask announcement ,if closing the border with England was a consideration. She replied, she did not have the power to do so . Tells you all you need to know about her.

I would suggest she, NS, was drawing attention to the amount of people isolating in their mobile homes in the North of Scotland. The people doing this showed a complete disregard for the safety of the  disproportionately elderly in those communities and the lack of facilities in the far North to cope with an outbreak

Edited by Konor
Clarification

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Fit is important, there can be NO gaps or the particles can get in. I would ask anyone if they would be happy to remove asbestos wearing that mask then it would probably be ok for close contact with virus carriers. 

I've seen several people while we have been out walking or shopping with masks covering their mouth but not the nose! I've seen scarves and snoods worn and people constantly pulling them up and fiddling with them! I'm more likely to catch this if I am not careful with hand hygiene and touch my face.

It makes you cringe doesn't it,  I can understand wearing gloves, if your hand is going towards your face then the colour will hopefully stop you.

The vast number of people with badly fitted masks is unbelievable,  the minute you put a mask on if it's a single use your likely to be pulling at it and its getting moist, how long and how many times are people using them?

I can see the merit if you had to use public transport, but again how long are people wearing them?

8 minutes ago, Mice! said:

It makes you cringe doesn't it,  I can understand wearing gloves, if your hand is going towards your face then the colour will hopefully stop you.

The vast number of people with badly fitted masks is unbelievable,  the minute you put a mask on if it's a single use your likely to be pulling at it and its getting moist, how long and how many times are people using them?

I can see the merit if you had to use public transport, but again how long are people wearing them?

I always wonder what goes through the minds of the few people who see fit to wear a mask but leave the nose clear!

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I always wonder what goes through the minds of the few people who see fit to wear a mask but leave the nose clear!

I've seen this everywhere,,,, even done by the staff in my local pharmacy 😧 I did comment but the top pharmacist, who is a really nice bloke, just shrugged and carried on, with his mask covering his chin 🙄

Also, on a TV interview I saw the other day, the interviewee was wearing a mask, and he did a heavy sigh and his long fringe wafted about as air passed up either side of his nose. So, without a nose-clip, these face coverings don't fit the same as a proper/surgical mask and are therefore useless 🤔

2 hours ago, Konor said:

Could you back that up with some quotes as I fail to see any sign of “ sadness” shown in the Scottish governments statement  which is the focus of this thread. In fact the sensible points made on this thread have been covered in the statement.
These generalisations  criticising Nicola Sturgeon are a sad reflection on PW members if the last Scottish government statement is the cause of the criticism,.

Did anyone actually read the statement before wading in ? Because it does not read like it . 

My reply this . "She is sad all right, with a capital S.."  

Was to Gordon Rs Post which is this. "She does seem to be trying to make political gain from jumping in with her advice. I find her quite sad. "

MY reference KONOR was In agreement to Gordon Rs post which i agree with. and i said as such.CLEARLY.

Now you can take my reply in any way you like KONOR.

You can take it in the short version which is " She is sad all right , With a CAPITAL S. "  In that i consider her comments sad , both in that she is in my view looking to gain politically, as in, AT, this difficult time.  To pathetically bolster up her (IN my view) abject failure as a politician. Probably to divert attention from her own shortcomings in almost everything she does in a vein attempt at gaining credibility. She never misses an opportunity to gain.

Being such a failure she has had ample opportunity to learn this and she knows she can not afford to not take chances every chance she gets. Lets face facts everything she has done as been chance taking luck pushing, and is precisely why she needs to rush through a second Scottish referendum, before the truth catches up with her.

So to her easing lock down ideas, which leans on masks when the science verdict on masks worldwide is less than clear cut as a effective protection from this virus.

The virus can invade through the eyes, and any masks have to have effective sized filtration to prevent passage of the microbes of this virus. And are very specific when in common found masks on filament and certainly in males "Shaving of the face". And that is just to get an effective seal. There are Chinese and other posters on this very aspect of of using these masks.  Her ideas here are not that good, not that effective , and in general are like most of the things she does.  Not that good needs to try harder.

Do i have no time for this woman. OH! YES! 

Here she is doing what she does best Embarrassing herself.

Quicker Scotland shakes off this parasite the better. YOMV.

13 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

In one respect, an equally large threat to the UK as this virus seems to be the rift that has developed between England and Scotland

There is only one person responsible for developing this rift. Wee Jimmy has an obsessive hatred of England and all her actions and decisions are  based on this. She would willingly do things that hurt Scotland provided they give greater pain to England. The sad thing is that many scotts have been listening so long to her poisonous bile and have been taken in by her hatred

23 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

In one respect, an equally large threat to the UK as this virus seems to be the rift that has developed between England and Scotland

The rift has been caused by the SNP and the above mentioned lady wanting independence despite failing once.

It seems they simply want to disagree with the government at any opportunity,  it would be very interesting to see if they said they were relaxing or tightening the lockdown in Scotland. 

Would the government allow it?

Would the Scots do as she said or say no ?

3 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

There is only one person responsible for developing this rift. Wee Jimmy has an obsessive hatred of England and all her actions and decisions are  based on this. She would willingly do things that hurt Scotland provided they give greater pain to England. The sad thing is that many scotts have been listening so long to her poisonous bile and have been taken in by her hatred

Good post.

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

The rift has been caused by the SNP and the above mentioned lady wanting independence despite failing once.

It seems they simply want to disagree with the government at any opportunity,  it would be very interesting to see if they said they were relaxing or tightening the lockdown in Scotland. 

Would the government allow it?

Would the Scots do as she said or say no ?

Agree.

13 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

As said by another poster, they are designed more to contain the virus if someone already has it, rather than prevent an uninfected person getting it.

However, there’s a school of thought that they can be dangerous. Folk aren’t used to wearing a mask so they fidget and adjust the mask as it feels unnatural. If they do this after touching something that has the virus on it, they are then likely to transfer it to their face.

This. 100%. They don't protect the eyes and if they were in any way effective against airborne virus in stopping the wearer getting infected they'd have been advised as ad-hoc biological warfare protection. 

But for stopping you as a carrier spreading the virus they have merit.

Yet the main purpose is they divert political criticism that the actual proper way of stopping a carrier spreading the virus is by knowing who the carriers are. Which means testing. Which costs money.

So masks hide noses, mouths and political failure to have acted.

Edited by enfieldspares

As an totally off track but in a sense connected topic there's this. Why did Adolf Hitler wear his moustache so? Fashion? Or that he didn't like shaving? The answer is said to be actually face masks. As in gas masks and, as others have mentioned, a full moustache rendering the seal ineffective. Hitler wore his moustache as he did to remind his audience of the First World War.

I am still no sure about the case for or against masks 

But last week at work we had  a chinese warden not on duty but went into see a pal and help her with student parcels in there office , she always wears a mask  observes social distancing  felt unwell steadily got worse and after a call to NHS 24  got tested  positive ?

Cutting threw the office next door to use the toilet puts you on a watch list for 2 weeks ??

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

Was to Gordon Rs Post which is this. "She does seem to be trying to make political gain from jumping in with her advice. I find her quite sad. "

MY reference KONOR was In agreement to Gordon Rs post which i agree with. and i said as such.CLEARLY.

You can take it in the short version which is " She is sad all right , With a CAPITAL S. "  In that i consider her comments sad , both in that she is in my view looking to gain politically, as in, AT, this difficult time.  To pathetically bolster up her (IN my view) abject failure as a politician. Probably to divert attention from her own shortcomings in almost everything she does in a vein attempt at gaining credibility. She never misses an opportunity to gain.

Being such a failure she has had ample opportunity to learn this and she knows she can not afford to not take chances every chance she gets. Lets face facts everything she has done as been chance taking luck pushing, and is precisely why she needs to rush through a second Scottish referendum, before the truth catches up with her.

So to her easing lock down ideas, which leans on masks when the science verdict on masks worldwide is less than clear cut as a effective protection from this virus.

The virus can invade through the eyes, and any masks have to have effective sized filtration to prevent passage of the microbes of this virus. And are very specific when in common found masks on filament and certainly in males "Shaving of the face". And that is just to get an effective seal. There are Chinese and other posters on this very aspect of of using these masks.  Her ideas here are not that good, not that effective , and in general are like most of the things she does.  Not that good needs to try harder.

A predictable reply with no reference to the Scottish government's statement that was being referred to in the initial post which started this thread. General insults don't make an argument and your blanket condemnation of Nicola Sturgeon doesn't reflect the regard she is held in by many in Scotland but does show the Little England mentality for what it is. 

3 minutes ago, Konor said:

blanket condemnation of Nicola Sturgeon doesn't reflect the regard she is held in by many in Scotland but does show the Little England mentality for what it is. 

According to wiki England population is 53 million, Scotland is 5.3million is there anyway you could be getting things the wrong way around. Should this read little Scotland mentality. No offence intended, only asking.

14 hours ago, peck said:

Agree 100%. we should be wearing masks, i think the only reason the government has not advised it is because there is not enough to go around.

there is plenty of masks on the internet I have just bought 100 for my family, they came yesterday. I don't think they do much good though I just feel better if they wear them somehow

38 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

According to wiki England population is 53 million, Scotland is 5.3million is there anyway you could be getting things the wrong way around. Should this read little Scotland mentality. No offence intended, only asking.

I'm not disputing your figures and the independence question is probably 50/50 I just don't have any time for grandstanding agenda driven rhetoric which has no relevance to the original post

Edited by Konor

35 minutes ago, Konor said:

A predictable reply with no reference to the Scottish government's statement that was being referred to in the initial post which started this thread. General insults don't make an argument and your blanket condemnation of Nicola Sturgeon doesn't reflect the regard she is held in by many in Scotland but does show the Little England mentality for what it is. 

So your a fan fine you said it out loud, but do not dress it up as something of credibility that a few like her.  I am not a fan She fails and will fail again In My Opinion Time will prove one of us right the other wrong.   With Nicola it could be any day any moment to the next disaster, we might not have long to wait at all.

5 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

So your a fan fine you said it out loud, but do not dress it up as something of credibility that a few like her.  I am not a fan She fails and will fail again In My Opinion Time will prove one of us right the other wrong.   With Nicola it could be any day any moment to the next disaster, we might not have long to wait at all.

Specifics please. She is passing on recommendations sourced from advisors not making it up as she goes along, you do realise that? 

I'm not a fan of any politician

Edited by Konor

3 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Good idea her figure is not impressive, but it at least matches her performance as Scotland’s  first minister .

2 hours ago, lancer425 said: