Legality of random stops

Lloyd90

5 hours ago, Scully said:

But isn’t that a perfect example of Lloyd’s point? They stopped it because of ‘ the way it was being driven ‘, not because they simply wanted to know where they were going. 

But the end result would have been the same in either case.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Scully said:

You’re missing the point. It WASN’T a random stop. 

Is that because they aren't just doing random stops all over the country?

If you watch any of the cop programs when they pull people its always because of odd behaviour,  we all know if a copper appears behind you, you check your speed, wonder how long they've been there.

Now if you have a body in the boot I imagine that little wobble is magnified about a thousand times unless your the "ice man"

People normally moan they never see the police not that there being to active.

13 hours ago, stumfelter said:

Probably a good job they're doing random stops then or they'd have never got caught.

Not really. If they were doing completely random stops they probably wouldn’t have been down a quiet country lane, they’d have been somewhere else on a busy road stopping as many as they could. 

The Police have the right to stop vehicles whether people like it or not. Lobby your MP to change the law, but stop trying to say it is unjust.

If they were doing random stops, concentrating on a busy road isn't random - it is targeted.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Is that because they aren't just doing random stops all over the country?

If you watch any of the cop programs when they pull people its always because of odd behaviour,  we all know if a copper appears behind you, you check your speed, wonder how long they've been there.

Now if you have a body in the boot I imagine that little wobble is magnified about a thousand times unless your the "ice man"

People normally moan they never see the police not that there being to active.

Good grief! I have no idea, but in this particular case it wasn’t a random stop, the vehicle was pulled over because of its erratic driving. Reason enough, not random. 

random stops are a pain when you are on the receiving end, [assuming you have nothing to hide!]  

but when you have just been robbed and the scrotes have just made off in a "white hatchback, or "blue transit" you want every vehicle fitting that description stopped as a matter of course to recover your stuff.  

And there is a certain satisfaction blowing into a little bag at a  random vehicle stop knowing you haven't had a pint for a week or more. 

Police were out in Newquay this morning at 6am waking up the inhabitants of camper vans parked on the roadside telling them if they were still there in an hour they were going to get fined,

Quite a satisfying job to be doing for the police although I personally would have been doing it at 4am and fining them straight away, not giving them an hour to clear off because they are only going to move to somewhere a few miles along the coast. 

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, REDINGTON said:

but when you have just been robbed and the scrotes have just made off in a "white hatchback, or "blue transit" you want every vehicle fitting that description stopped as a matter of course to recover your stuff.  

But that is NOT random, these vehicles would be stopped because they fit the description of a vehicle used in a recent reported crime.

19 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

But that is NOT random, these vehicles would be stopped because they fit the description of a vehicle used in a recent reported crime.

I never said it was, the part of my post you edited out referred to random stops, 

the remainder was simply  my opinion. 

that said to anyone driving a similar vehicle who hadn't just robbed me might consider it as such.

Edited by REDINGTON

2 hours ago, REDINGTON said:

random stops are a pain when you are on the receiving end, [assuming you have nothing to hide!]  

And there is a certain satisfaction blowing into a little bag at a  random vehicle stop knowing you haven't had a pint for a week or more. 

But what you have described isn’t a random stop. It’s an intelligence led operation stopping targeted vehicles fitting a specific description because they know for a fact that a crime has been committed. 

If you got burgled by someone with a red car, and the Police stormed the area, they send 3 cars, one stops a black car, one stops a blue car and one stops a yellow car ... just Incase they might have been involved in a crime ... then your lad in the red car will probably be long gone 🤣

25 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

But what you have described isn’t a random stop. It’s an intelligence led operation stopping targeted vehicles fitting a specific description because they know for a fact that a crime has been committed. 

If you got burgled by someone with a red car, and the Police stormed the area, they send 3 cars, one stops a black car, one stops a blue car and one stops a yellow car ... just Incase they might have been involved in a crime ... then your lad in the red car will probably be long gone 🤣

are you inferring the police may be colourblind? 

1 hour ago, REDINGTON said:

I never said it was, the part of my post you edited out referred to random stops, 

the remainder was simply  my opinion. 

that said to anyone driving a similar vehicle who hadn't just robbed me might consider it as such.

please read the above.

Edited by REDINGTON

4 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Did they suggest anyone who could? 

Nope both gave it the follow gov guidelines. So next week is my last week off before back to work. Welsh rules say you can drive locally to fish. But on the other hand they are clamping right down and fining people for travelling. So the issue is what is local and who decides it. 2 miles you could safely say is local. 15 I would say is not. But what about 4 lol. Who bloody knows. Just down to the copper who and if stops you. I wouldn't worry as a rule but the last season I spent a lot on my shooting with guns and equipment so just don't want to chance it until its clearer 

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Generally I think that's what they do, but as redington has said, sometimes from the perspective of the person stopped, it would seem random. Take your analogie of the burglar's with the red car, criminals will often switch cars straight after a get away, picture the scene, it's 2a.m a violent robbery just aken place, the cops might not have enough evidence to make stops on vehicles that look suspect immediately around that area in the hope of locating them, what they can do is stop any vehicle they wish to ask for documents, but what they're really up to is looking for the robbers. The person stopped isn't necessarily going to know that. 

I very much doubt there's virtually any cops who go around stopping random cars for nothing, speaking to some cops I know, it sounds there aren't enough officers as is. Besides, it's MPs that set law, the cops simply follow it, going back to your argument, simply put anyone driving a motor vehicle can be stopped for nothing more than they want to check their driving docs.

1 hour ago, mudpatten said:

The ignorance of this copper is frightening. He`s literally making it up as he goes along.

I got 4 mins in and got bored. The btp officer asks his name and the chap didnt give it, he asks for a ticket and he doesn't provide that so tells him to leave the station. My knowledge of rail by laws is limited but if you get on the concourse you require a ticket to travel. Btp being a private force and not home office can direct you to leave and that's that. Its private property. He doesn't seen ignorant just grumpy.