Cummings in the soup?

Retsdon

My opinion remians the same, he should have gone, i.e. been saked or resigned.

In his case it is not about what he did, it is all about what it means for other people and how it is perceived given the exceptional circumstance.

All of what he has said was my opinion counts more than you. A hugely arrogant man.

Edited by grrclark

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Many of us would. But it's not really the issue.

To illustrate, I remember, quite a few years ago now,  there was a bloke who lived in the village I grew up in in Wales. His house was about 4 or 5 doors down from the pub, and outside the pub, between it and his house, they'd put in a traffic-calming hump like an anti-tank berm. One Friday, Clive was coming home from work and saw a mate's car in the pub car park and stopped in to say hello. One thing led to another and he didn't go home until closing time. Of course, normally he'd have walked home and left the car but over the previous few weeks a number of cars that had been left outside either that pub or the one across the village had been broken into, and I think two had actually been stolen. So Clive, foolishly, decided to take his car out of the car park, drive it over the traffic hump, and then 15 yards down the road and into his driveway. He hadn't seen the police car.

The upshot was that he lost his license for 18 months, and consequently his job. Morally, in my view, he did nothing wrong. He probably never got out of second gear and was never ever a danger to anyone.  And he only did it to protect his property. But the law was the law and that was the end of it.

Cummings situation is not dissimilar. Would most of us have driven to Durham in contravention of the lockdown rules in his circumstances? Very probably. It's not relevant though.

why didn't he drive the 5 doors to home, ? and simply walk back to the pub, thus keeping off the road when ****** up, avoiding vandal damage by not leaving the car in the pub carpark overnight, and not losing his licence, his job, you're view is irrelevant, he knowingly broke the law and sounds a bit of a **** as it happens. someone with such bad judgement is best kept off the road. sounds like he wanted booze more than seeing an old mate,  maybe you would have felt differently had he struck and killed a member of your family.  

I had a guy working for me once, ex fireman, quiet fella, I guess when you have to scrape a mother and newborn baby out of the wreckage of their car, while some ******* knobhead is singing sea shanties from the other wrecked vehicle that he just drove from the pub, it makes you somewhat quiet.

48 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But you didn't, you weighed up the guidance and got on with your life.

DC weighed up the guidance and got on with his.

i knew that i could travel safely , and i knew that i can keep myself sterile enough not to pass anything nasty along . i stuck rigidly  to government guidance because i thought that i was doing the right thing for my country , i honestly thought that as a loyal englishman , it was my duty. turns out cummings did what was best for him , then his mrs tried to cover it up.

in all honesty , id have probably done the same thing , but id have been honest about it , and wouldnt have tried to hide it , or gone sight seeing if that bits true.

the main thing it proves is that im just a xxxxxxx mug.

40 minutes ago, Mungler said:

The irony is that the current medical evidence suggests that we all should have just done that and been a bit more careful, washed our hands a bit more and got on with our lives.

sadly (or luckily with hindsight), this now seems to be the case . at work , we get fed information directly from the government , the information we were given was , youre binmen  so youll all be exposed to it ,  80% of you will get it , we dont know how many will die . ive been living in a world of alcohol gel and anti viral sprays for months , i get undressed in my back garden so that i dont bring anything into the home , and i havent been near any family or friends from the kick off . seems now that all i had to do , was keep up with my normal hygiene regime. 

28 minutes ago, oowee said:

😉

This ^^^^^^  Vote Tory and everyone look out for themselves. One rule for us and one for the rabble. 

this is very much the way it feels to me . regardless of politics , i thought that we were all in this together.

The media today outside his home almost jumping over each other, pushing past each other and shouting questions into each other’s faces... all shouting at him for breaking the 2m rule and social distancing ... they kept asking him why it doesn’t apply to him ... how could they not see they were breaking the guidelines themselves? 

Funny how they like to shout about other people’s behaviour whilst acting like a mob of degenerates themselves... 

Cummings isn’t the only hypocrite... 

Just now, mel b3 said:

i knew that i could travel safely , and i knew that i can keep myself sterile enough not to pass anything nasty along . i stuck rigidly  to government guidance because i thought that i was doing the right thing for my country , i honestly thought that as a loyal englishman , it was my duty. turns out cummings did what was best for him , then his mrs tried to cover it up.

in all honesty , id have probably done the same thing , but id have been honest about it , and wouldnt have tried to hide it , or gone sight seeing if that bits true.

Are you watching what he is pouring out at the moment?

3 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

The media today outside his home almost jumping over each other, pushing past each other and shouting questions into each other’s faces... all shouting at him for breaking the 2m rule and social distancing ... they kept asking him why it doesn’t apply to him ... how could they not see they were breaking the guidelines themselves? 

Funny how they like to shout about other people’s behaviour whilst acting like a mob of degenerates themselves... 

Cummings isn’t the only hypocrite... 

The media are a joke. Simple as that. 

Watching his interview, it would have been kinder to sack him. He is not a politician and not trained or capable of fighting the off the media dogs baying for his blood.

Big mistake doing this, he was already found guilty so it was a battle against the media that he would never win.

12 minutes ago, REDINGTON said:

maybe you would have felt differently had he struck and killed a member of your family.  

How would have managed to do that?

1 minute ago, TRINITY said:

He is not a politician and not trained or capable of fighting the off the media dogs baying for his blood.

I actually think he's doing very well, far better than I expected.

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

i’m to busy laughing my head of test drive for his eyesight he must think your a right load of tools to believe that one um um um um um the truth FLOWS cummings worst victim act i ever seen and STILL no regret abandon ship the truth has sunk 

7 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Watching his interview, it would have been kinder to sack him. He is not a politician and not trained or capable of fighting the off the media dogs baying for his blood.

Big mistake doing this, he was already found guilty so it was a battle against the media that he would never win.

I think he is getting the grilling that he deserves, I have absolutely zero sympathy for the guy.

Edited by grrclark

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

How would have managed to do that?

Anythings possible , that bloke from😄 E17 ran himself over as he was reversing his own car off the drive...that devil drink in ye ! :lol:

1 minute ago, clangerman said:

i’m to busy laughing my head of test drive for his eyesight he must think your a right load of tools to believe that one um um um um um the truth FLOWS cummings worst victim act i ever seen and STILL no regret abandon ship the truth has sunk 

Say whut ? 
See what I mean :rolleyes:

Just now, grrclark said:

I think he is getting the grilling that he deserves, I have absolutely zero sympathy for the guy.  My only regret is that they are not giving him a much more thorough grilling than he is getting.

I think he is conducting himself very well, good on him.

2 minutes ago, clangerman said:

Agreed. Arrogant in the extreme

The one thing that I wonder about is how does anyone know if a word of the story is true?

1 minute ago, REDINGTON said:

again irrelevant,  the issue is not "how" it might happen,

Of course it is - that's the whole point of why I mentioned it in the first place. If he'd been driving on the normal road there'd be no questions. He wasn't. He practically freewheeled his car 15 yards down an empty village road at 11 at night and turned left into his driveway. In REAL terms, he was no danger to anyone. But he broke the law. 

The longer this goes on the more similarity it gains to the infamous Prince Andrew interview.

So blinded by his own opinion and arrogance that he simply cannot see how that presents itself to the public view.  Far from drawing a line under proceedings he is pouring petrol on the bonfire.

I'm the victim, the media is wicked, it's not my fault, i didn't want to be honest before now in case people thought bad of me, etc, etc.

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

I'm normally one who bristles at the polical class baying and howling for anybody to be sacked for the sake of political capital, but to my mind and in this case the actual offence/indiscretion/lapse of judgement or however we may to describe it doesn't really matter.

It was the same with Dr Catherine Calderwood in Scotland, the action taken by DC or CC was not particularly risky in that a couple of individuals got in a car and travelled somewhere else.  The problem is that they are/were an intrinsic part of the machine that was telling everyone else that they MUST NOT do precisely that.

The government implemented policy that denied people the opportunity to attend funerals, they denied the opportunity for partners to be present at childbirth, they denied people the opportunity to spend the last moments with a loved one when they died in intensive care and they have denied people the chance to earn an income.  When the government denies the right for these most fundamental behaviours and emotional needs for the general public, but is not only content to ignore a senior government figure flouting those rules it actively defends them using arguments of sophistry then that screams to me of double standards and arrogance of the highest order.

In terms of the measurement of the offence/indiscretion in isolation of all other consideration then of course it is trivial, however the moral principle of trust and unity, which has been shattered for so very many, is massive.

The populace in general tend to give much more value to things that they can understand and process, things that feel real.  This feels very real indeed and I think BoJo has hugely underestimated the strengh of public feeling against supporting DC in this way.

It won't be a fatal blow in itself to BoJo's standing, but it will have done him very real harm and very likely lasting harm if he does not change tack.  When he is in office because so many people chose to give him a chance and he promised to pay back their faith, yet the optics of this show the complete opposite to trust, integrity and all being in this together.

this is pretty much how i see it and feel about it.

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

coming clean after youve been caught doesnt really cut the mustard with me.

whilst i can feel sympathy for the situation that he was in at the time , he just looks like a bloke making excuses now.

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

The longer this goes on the more similarity it gains to the infamous Prince Andrew interview.

So blinded by his own opinion and arrogance that he simply cannot see how that presents itself to the public view.  Far from drawing a line under proceedings he is pouring petrol on the bonfire.

I'm the victim, the media is wicked, it's not my fault, i didn't want to be honest before now in case people thought bad of me, etc, etc.

Was this story in press before last Wednesday when Devon and Cornwall ran out of parking tickets when thousands of people went to the beach and not social distance. He drove to a private estate and stayed in an empty cottage. 

Well a couple of things from this interview that did interest me. 

I have not followed this incident intensely, but I was not aware his child was admitted to hospital for checks whilst in Durham. It may have been reported somewhere but obviously nor widely .

Secondly, unless I have missed it, not one of the media have asked him the details of the person giving him his medical advice.  This advice forms a significant reason for his actions and yet no one has followed it up.