Old farrier

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a beauty!

Does not like like an escapee, cannot see any anklets.

Small numbers of them in parts of the UK, as JDog says your are very lucky.

Tried flying a captive bred one many, many years ago for a friend, difficult "to man", as for any falconry hunting activity they are a lazy bird. Non the less a beautiful bird, they look big but when you get one on the glove they weigh very little, and are a very efficient hunter by all means.

The one my friend had he used to put her out on the bow perch in the back garden, unfortunately a cat strayed a little too close and that was the an unfortunate end for the cat. She lived on for may more years and was eventually re homed into a display.

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I was about to say mistle thrush but you'd all ridicule me again:yay:

That is an eagle owl. Serious bird.

The late John Toon's son has one next door and it 'talks' owl language all day and night.  Super bird.

Looked like a mistletoe thrust to me 😂

would you know if they eat mole’s?😗

There was a documentary program on a couple of years ago about Eagle owls that flew over from  Denmark or somewhere over from the west coast of europe to out east coast having said that it might have escaped from someone's Mews it looks like a young one going by the colour of its eyes

It does look like a European eagle owl not a Bengal eagle owl

I have flown these at rabbits but you got to cut them right back so they will hunt 

29 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

There was a documentary program on a couple of years ago about Eagle owls that flew over from  Denmark or somewhere over from the west coast of europe to out east coast having said that it might have escaped from someone's Mews it looks like a young one going by the colour of its eyes

I have flown these at rabbits but you got to cut them right back so they will hunt 

It’s hunting ok and I’m happy for it to have as many rabbits as it wants 😊👍

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Any thing specific 

I’d like to help it out if I can 

maybe mowing some strip of grass to make it easier for him 

You've seen the size of it, anything it wants, apparently they are partial to hedgehogs,  must be a hard life being a hedgehog. 

I'd imagine a few paths cut through the grass would bring the bunnies out, I'd say put a squirrel feeder up but I'm thinking you've only got reds?

27 minutes ago, Mice! said:

You've seen the size of it, anything it wants, apparently they are partial to hedgehogs,  must be a hard life being a hedgehog. 

I'd imagine a few paths cut through the grass would bring the bunnies out, I'd say put a squirrel feeder up but I'm thinking you've only got reds?

Not so many of them now ☹️
do they mostly hunt at night or whenever they are hungry it’s fairly quiet where it’s chosen to live though I maybe put a big box in the tree with a perch 

39 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Not so many of them now ☹️
do they mostly hunt at night or whenever they are hungry it’s fairly quiet where it’s chosen to live though I maybe put a big box in the tree with a perch 

I think they are twilight hunters but I'm not a hundred %, watched one get fed on my last hawk experience,  there is no chance you were getting anything that one caught. It mantled hissed and looked like it would take you on no problem,  but it was just used at displays I think to look magnificent on a perch.

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

I had seen a couple flown on the lamp back in the day, the boys who flew them said the same about having them lean. 👍

32 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I think they are twilight hunters but I'm not a hundred %, watched one get fed on my last hawk experience,  there is no chance you were getting anything that one caught. It mantled hissed and looked like it would take you on no problem,  but it was just used at displays I think to look magnificent on a perch.

Interesting thanks for the reply 👍😊

3 hours ago, JDog said:

An Eagle Owl. You lucky thing.

Hope it stays around for a bit 

I was wondering what had been killing the young rabbits around the place 

I shall try and get a better picture if I see it again