Sustainable ammunition articles

On 23/07/2020 at 20:04, Old farrier said:

I’m understanding the problem however I’m prepared to go for the day and try what they have on offer form a opinion and hopefully find something to adapt to 2.1/2 

2.5" boidegradble are now available. 👍

IMG_7266.jpg.255e008a8f5b450c7fb354d662986e2d.jpg

On 23/07/2020 at 21:27, London Best said:

We are in the U.K.

The standard British game gun is 2 1/2 inch chamber, ( I don’t care what you O/U boys say), why is everyone concentrating on the 2 3/4 inch chambers used by the clay pigeon boys in their foreign made guns?

2.5" now available so good news

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst that is a step in the right direction (for pro steel) 740 bar is a little on the high side. On this very forum with a little Google search, lyvale stated that for a 2 1/2 cart they were not legally allowed to sell anything that exceeds 700 bar as the proof is at 850bar on a 2 1/2 chamber? 

Maybe basc could offer a voucher for a free box for its members to try these super steel carts instead of chucking them at clays where it's of no relevance what's so ever and let the shooters in their own environment and circumstances make their minds up. Just a thought. It would for once put basc in good stead with its members seeing as quite a few are truly ****** off with them lately over this, and eley being in bed with them, get to be the first on the market, and set to either make a fortune from potential sells earlier than its competitors 

33 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

2.5" boidegradble are now available. 👍

IMG_7266.jpg.255e008a8f5b450c7fb354d662986e2d.jpg

2.5" now available so good news

That’s a start thanks for posting 

now it needs to be affordable and equivalent  

I shall reserve judgment until I have managed to source and try some 

im assuming that they are not only good for 2.1/2 guns of standard proof but for all chokes 

hopefully they will do a lighter load as I feel 30 grams of steel is a tad overkill for partridge 

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

That’s a start thanks for posting 

now it needs to be affordable and equivalent  

I shall reserve judgment until I have managed to source and try some 

im assuming that they are not only good for 2.1/2 guns of standard proof but for all chokes 

hopefully they will do a lighter load as I feel 30 grams of steel is a tad overkill for partridge 

What also needs checking is that they are "nitro proofed to standard steel pressure of 740 bar" - I'm not sure how that sits with the older proof for 2 1/2" of 1 1/8 oz max load?

11 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Whilst that is a step in the right direction (for pro steel) 740 bar is a little on the high side. On this very forum with a little Google search, lyvale stated that for a 2 1/2 cart they were not legally allowed to sell anything that exceeds 700 bar as the proof is at 850bar on a 2 1/2 chamber? 

Maybe basc could offer a voucher for a free box for its members to try these super steel carts instead of chucking them at clays where it's of no relevance what's so ever and let the shooters in their own environment and circumstances make their minds up. Just a thought. It would for once put basc in good stead with its members seeing as quite a few are truly ****** off with them lately over this, and eley being in bed with them, get to be the first on the market, and set to either make a fortune from potential sells earlier than its competitors 

And when I said follow the money at the start of the shambolic saga I was slated now it’s all starting to come to the surface 

good idea the voucher for the cartridges I mean we the members paid for a fair amount of free pheasant shooting for next to useless members of parliament to have a jolly 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

And when I said follow the money at the start of the shambolic saga I was slated now it’s all starting to come to the surface 

good idea the voucher for the cartridges I mean we the members paid for a fair amount of free pheasant shooting for next to useless members of parliament to have a jolly 

What would the realistic cost be to both parties? £3-4?. Only to basc members as well. 

Seeing as they've just saved on the legal cover.... Time to give something back. 

And like all promotions, not everybody would use the voucher. It would be cheap advertising. 

Plus they wouldn't have to have their day out trials, which must cost a fair bit with rents of grounds, staff, insurance ect ect 

Edited by strimmer_13

2 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

What would the realistic cost be to both parties? £3-4?. Only to basc members as well. 

Seeing as they've just saved on the legal cover.... Time to give something back. 

And like all promotions, not everybody would use the voucher. It would be cheap advertising. 

Very cheap advertising and a bit more goodwill 

a positive step forward 

time to start building bridges with the members 

On 23/07/2020 at 15:50, 243deer said:

Quote - All those attending should be experienced shots and are required to bring their own 12 gauge shotgun

I use a .410 for ratting most of the time with 2 inch cartridges - indoors in barns - please let me know when a suitable day has been arranged to try sustainable ammunition in this combination - along with the undoubtedly expensive PPE I would have to wear to avoid the ricochets - thanks in advance Connor

Brilliant...... are we sure the BASC has not been infiltrated by the same scientist organising the Corvid situation ?

On 23/07/2020 at 15:53, Old farrier said:

Could you please let me know when you’re having one in Hampshire please 

On 23/07/2020 at 21:42, Old farrier said:

We have to start somewhere 

If the first cartridge kicks like a mule that’s a box I haven’t bough 

I think from the breaks I shall be able to see if they are patterning well enough to be useful (I shoot a lot of clays) (( now I’ve posted that they probably won’t have me on the day )) 

if the targets are pathetically close I won’t be shooting at them I shall expect them to simulate sporting game birds 

anyway we shall see I’ve yet to hear from Connor when there’s going to be a day down south 

On 24/07/2020 at 09:54, Old farrier said:

I’ll have a go 

if you could let me know when you holding on in the south 

the link only appears to take bookings for the Wales day 

On 24/07/2020 at 11:00, Conor O'Gorman said:

I would imagine there will be opportunities ahead in the south. I have asked a colleague at BASC and I will post updates as more events are published.

On 24/07/2020 at 13:25, Old farrier said:

Imagine?? 
I would sincerely hope there’s something planned for the south 

please keep me informed 

On 24/07/2020 at 13:39, Conor O'Gorman said:

Of course - please email me at conor.ogorman@basc.org.uk and I will ensure you are directly informed.

On 26/07/2020 at 19:35, Old farrier said:

Old Farrier, you continue to comment on this thread and you have not yet emailed me so that I can ensure you are directly informed of future events in Hampshire. I look forward to hearing from you. 

11 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Old Farrier, you continue to comment on this thread and you have not yet emailed me so that I can ensure you are directly informed of future events in Hampshire. I look forward to hearing from you. 

And I shall continue to post 

I ask for no preferential treatment and expect as a paid up member of BASC to be informed of the event in the future in the normal manner 

Not on social media unlike the release of the proposed lead shot ban 

1 hour ago, Salopian said:

Conor ,

Do you think it is a good idea to offer a voucher or free box of cartridges to BASC members ?

Fraught with logistical and legal difficulties - Have you ever seen any manufacturer handing out samples at shows?

I can see why BASC is pursuing the route of trial days at clay grounds, which are a controlled environment.

I don't think anybody is seriously claiming that a clay will give you any indication of the, lets call it 'killing power' of steel versus lead, either.

On 26/07/2020 at 18:51, Terry2016 said:

The standard British game gun is 2 1/2 inch chamber, ( I don’t care what you O/U boys say), why is everyone concentrating on the 2 3/4 inch chambers used by the clay pigeon boys in their foreign made guns?

I listened to the an episode of the Yorkshire Gent Podcast where an industry insider was confident that multiple manufacturers working on it.  Obviously, that 'inside information' is worth what you paid for it, but I choose to believe it, as although the market for 2.5" is tiny by comparison, crack the 2.5" problem and you should have benefits for 2.75" too...

4 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I ask for no preferential treatment and expect as a paid up member of BASC to be informed of the event in the future in the normal manner 

I'm curious, what do you mean by normal manner? I get the weekly email from BASC, and it was also in the magazine

On 28/07/2020 at 13:14, udderlyoffroad said:

Fraught with logistical and legal difficulties - Have you ever seen any manufacturer handing out samples at shows?

I can see why BASC is pursuing the route of trial days at clay grounds, which are a controlled environment.

I don't think anybody is seriously claiming that a clay will give you any indication of the, lets call it 'killing power' of steel versus lead, either.

I listened to the an episode of the Yorkshire Gent Podcast where an industry insider was confident that multiple manufacturers working on it.  Obviously, that 'inside information' is worth what you paid for it, but I choose to believe it, as although the market for 2.5" is tiny by comparison, crack the 2.5" problem and you should have benefits for 2.75" too...

I'm curious, what do you mean by normal manner? I get the weekly email from BASC, and it was also in the magazine

When the day for Hampshire is advertised in the magazine or a email comes through from Basc would be the normal manner Thereby giving everyone the same chance to attend 

There have been at least 44 research papers published on the impact of lead ammunition on human health since the Lead Ammunition Group submitted its report to Defra in 2015.

These are listed here:

http://www.leadammunitiongroup.org.uk/information/#toggle-id-4

In the 2015 LAG report are the lists of all the previous research papers across various themes.

http://www.leadammunitiongroup.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/LAG-Report-June-2015-without-Appendices.pdf

http://www.leadammunitiongroup.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/LAG-Report-June-2015-Appendices-without-Appendix-6.pdf

http://www.leadammunitiongroup.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/LAG-Report-June-2015-RISK-MITIGATION-REGISTER-Appendix-6.pdf

27 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

There have been at least 44 research papers published on the impact of lead ammunition on human health since the Lead Ammunition Group submitted its report to Defra in 2015.

These are listed here:

http://www.leadammunitiongroup.org.uk/information/#toggle-id-4

In the 2015 LAG report are the lists of all the previous research papers across various themes.

http://www.leadammunitiongroup.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/LAG-Report-June-2015-without-Appendices.pdf

http://www.leadammunitiongroup.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/LAG-Report-June-2015-Appendices-without-Appendix-6.pdf

http://www.leadammunitiongroup.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/LAG-Report-June-2015-RISK-MITIGATION-REGISTER-Appendix-6.pdf

Are BASC now officially anti lead?

What happened to no new evidence/no change?

WR.

I am sorry Connor, BUT people are still at MORE risk from lead piping than lead shot. Lead shot may affect a minority of people, BUT,  lead piping affects more people that the Utility Companies will EVER admit to . Even people who believe they are safe with their plastic pipes, are blatantly unaware that most of that plastic is joined to the main supply via lead pipes.

56 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Conor, I assume that BASC staff will have studied all the relevant research papers.   Can you name any document in which there is a record of an ACTUAL person suffering ACTUAL harm from eating game killed using lead ammunition?

21 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Conor, I assume that BASC staff will have studied all the relevant research papers.   Can you name any document in which there is a record of an ACTUAL person suffering ACTUAL harm from eating game killed using lead ammunition?

This is not only about human health. although there are many papers setting out how damaging lead is to humans. 

This is about wildlife. there are many papers setting out how bad lead is to wildlife. 

This is about the perception of shooting. many people do not want anything shot with lead, this is also now starting to be the case with Venison. 

We need to move with the times.