Woodchip wallpaper

ShootingEgg

Guest cookoff013

We used an enzyme to digest the wallpaper paste, peeled off nice. lime plaster too. Because of most layers of paint it needed scoring. For enzyme to get to the paste. Spray on, walk away. Easily take off sheets.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-dif-wallpaper-stripper-concentrate-1ltr/8421j#product_additional_details_container

This is not the stuff i used. But it works similar.

On 04/10/2020 at 20:27, mel b3 said:

It was cool in 1965 and it's still cool now , just paint over it with magnolia emulsion and it'll last for another 55 years 😊.

Melb3, well known for his interior furnishing knowledge!:good:

Also very good with soft furnishings, apparently!:w00t:

41 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Melb3, well known for his interior furnishing knowledge!:good:

Also very good with soft furnishings, apparently!

I'll have you know that I'm known locally as the Lawrence llewellen bowen of the black Country.  My favourite phrase is , that sofee  is bostin 😅.

5 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'll have you know that I'm known locally as the Lawrence llewellen bowen of the black Country.  My favourite phrase is , that sofee  is bostin 😅.

And long may you remain known as that awful pillock!:good:

I do hear you've been mistaken for him in the past.:w00t:

_methode_sundaytimes_prod_web_bin_db95c2f2-6de3-11ea-9fb8-82b0757030b9.jpg

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And long may you remain known as that awful pillock!:good:

I do hear you've been mistaken for him in the past.:w00t:

_methode_sundaytimes_prod_web_bin_db95c2f2-6de3-11ea-9fb8-82b0757030b9.jpg

Now that is a gentleman of the finest order .  I like to think of myself and Lawrence as twins as we share the same style of sartorial elegance 😆.

You were quick to get the pic , is he your screen saver? 😅.

7 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Now that is a gentleman of the finest order .  I like to think of myself and Lawrence as twins as we share the same style of sartorial elegance 😆.

You were quick to get the pic , is he your screen saver? 😅.

No, my screen saver is a large Ukranian bomber getting things wrong when practicing for an air-show. I suspect the dry cleaning bill was substantial!

IMG_20201006_130744.jpg

On 03/10/2020 at 17:16, ShootingEgg said:

Not this stuff, isn't budging with that method. Its more than likely been on the wall 50 years.. 

or more ..... was the todo decoration back in the early 60s.  Uusually has about ten layers of emulsion as well.

On 04/10/2020 at 21:18, harrycatcat1 said:

Normally if it's got woodchip wallpaper on someone has covered up a rubbish wall anyway. Surely no one would put woodchip on a good plastered wall, it doesn't make sense. 👍👍

Lived in two very old houses and that was why you used woodcip it covered up all the bumps and hollows.

With old wood chip score it soak it and leave it.

Go and do something else.

Then more water and leave it, and again and again. Time and water gets there in the end The paint makes it impervious to steam and it take a long time for the water to soak throgh the score marks  

Edited by Vince Green

We've removed tons of the stuff and are moving into a house with loads on the walls 😭 Steaming has worked for us at times, but you have to get it extremely hot, to where the paint is practically melting. Takes a lot more time and effort than scoring and soaking though, but can be quicker overall.

The worst part was when it was on the ceiling. They were smokers for 40-odd years. The steam from the wallpaper caused the nicotine and smoke to leach from the paper on the ceiling, forming rank droplets that gathered on proud bits of woodchip and rained on us like a cancerous summer downpour. If I ever see it on the ceiling again I'm getting it boarded over!

Wood chip is the decor equivalent of Japanese knot weed, should be able to claim for it 😁

Any water wetter or surficant and time will help, one posters idea of cheap paste very wet will work but don't let it dry.  If the walls have been coated over the paper perforation is required and more time. 

Work smarter not harder, let the water do its thing, keep reaplying then steam it off. The water already absorbed will help it come off in sheets, sometimes the more paint over the top the better, helps it come off it bigger bits.

Please take videos and post them up of your progress, we like to watch others suffer as we have. 👍😂 Just wait till Ditchy comes along, his mole trapping escapades reminds me of woodchip removal.

22 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Im not going to lie to you guys, but its torture, you feel like you're doing well then you see you're an hour in and youve done about a ft square.... 

Suck it up fella! 😉 Paper tiger, Steam, shift, scrape, repeat! Don't leave ya steamer pad in one place to long as you might pop the plaster. And just think you have the pleasure of preping and lining or papering it after/IF you get it off.        NB

10 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Suck it up fella! 😉 Paper tiger, Steam, shift, scrape, repeat! Don't leave ya steamer pad in one place to long as you might pop the plaster. And just think you have the pleasure of preping and lining or papering it after/IF you get it off.        NB

Other half popped the plaster in one part of wall. Even though we both know not to leave it on wall. Oops. Although to be fair the plaster will be original so the year it was discovered haha. Its coming off. If not the plaster will get popped everywhere and knocked off haha

On 03/10/2020 at 17:19, sitty tree said:

hello fella. wish you look but i have found if you use any cheap wallpaper paste mixed slap it on and wait for a while  for the water to soak through .the paste holds on the wall allowing the water to do its job.

good call....................

i have always spent a bit of time abrading the wallpaper (scratching it)...........then over a period of 3-4 hours spray it with a sprayer bottle with a heavy concentration of fairy liquid and water.................then just gently scrape off using a SHARP scraper...........

its a job made much easier if you dont rush and let the liquid do its work.............

hate steamers...as they can do mega damage....they will blow the plaster skim off the wall....