• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, London Best said:

+1

11 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

How much is a tip these days? 

How big is the day and how well has the keeper run the day.  I do not have a minimum or maximum ..... well I do have a minimum and that was my position last week ..

Zero, not a penny and reflected the so called driven day.   I do NOT adhere to the belief we should all give the same and on many occasions I have given double what others have.  It is all up to you.

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

How big is the day and how well has the keeper run the day.  I do not have a minimum or maximum ..... well I do have a minimum and that was my position last week ..

Zero, not a penny and reflected the so called driven day.   I do NOT adhere to the belief we should all give the same and on many occasions I have given double what others have.  It is all up to you.

I’ve never been on a proper driven day as a gun. 

Only my small syndicate with no keeper or invite on a mates small farm shoot where I bring a bottle of sloe gin or similar. 

What’s the tip for say a 50/100/200 bird day roughly? 👍🏻 Assuming all gone ok. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Only my small syndicate with no keeper or invite on a mates small farm shoot where I bring a bottle of sloe gin or similar. 

Average £30 I would think.

Why tip ??? ? 

I can understand it if you’re a guest or maybe shooting at a trial 

however most shooting now is commercial pay days 

you book the number of birds they blow the whistle when you reach the amount or you have fired the designated amount of shots 
It’s a business how many of you tip your local mechanic? 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Why tip  ? 

I can understand it if you’re a guest or maybe shooting at a trial 

however most shooting now is commercial pay days 

you book the number of birds they blow the whistle when you reach the amount or you have fired the designated amount of shots 
It’s a business how many of you tip your local mechanic? 

I do :yes:

I very rarely tip anywhere, a meal out has to be exceptional along with the service for a tip, however I always give my barber a little extra at Christmas usually a £20, always have done, but then throughout the year he always squeezes me in when it's busy for example or turns me round quick when im in a hurry. So what's a couple extra quid once a year? 

I can understand if you feel you've had a really cracking day and the birds have flown well you might want to give a little thank you. I probably would, although, as OF said I've already paid for my day, so I wouldn't go overboard. 

Why leave a tip for a waiter/tress after you have paid for your meal, etc etc etc.,  tradition and a thankyou.  That is why I will not be led by other guns. I tip what I want to tip or as I said recently not at all.    You mentioned my local mechanic. Yes I also give him thank yous/tips I suppose but normally a brace of birds or pears apples etc from the orchard or a haunch of venison. 

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Why leave a tip for a waiter/tress after you have paid for your meal, etc etc etc.,  tradition and a thankyou.  That is why I will not be led by other guns. I tip what I want to tip or as I said recently not at all.    You mentioned my local mechanic. Yes I also give him thank yous/tips I suppose but normally a brace of birds or pears apples etc from the orchard or a haunch of venison. 

Some really do go that bit further to make sure you enjoy not only the meal but the whole evening, a bit like the keeper and days shooting. 

I don't think it should be an expected part of the day or surely your tip has little meaning. 

It shouldn’t be expected but when someone really goes out of their way to give you great service in any field then it’s worth recognising that. 

Ive sorted out care homes for people and really gone above as they were difficult cases, been offered all sorts, that gentleman offered to take me and my partner for a ride in his hot air balloon (He did ride for people on weekends as a business) ... I politely declined (without telling him I don’t like heights). 

It was a nice gesture to be offered though and shows they appreciate your hard work. 

What would really annoy me would be when someone gets funny with you if they don’t get a tip, or a smaller tip than they expected. 

Suppose you can’t buy manners or class. 

On 26/10/2020 at 21:40, London Best said:

Well, a regular scenario is that you have bought the day from the estate, or the estate owner or the owner of the shooting rights. You tip the gamekeeper.

There's a class element here. If you ape your betters then noblesse oblige. On a farmer's syndicate we tipped the beaters. On a let day I tip the keeper. 

£20 per hundred, plus extra if you had a great day. If you can afford £3-400 for a let day plus transport and cartridges you can afford an extra £20 to tip the person who made is possible. 

On 24/10/2020 at 21:44, FlagUp said:

I shook the keeper's hand, thanked him for the day, then went to my car and sanitised my hands before driving home. No big deal.

That above. Post after post after post from others and then at last some good commonsense. I carry on a shoot a small pocket size bottle of hand sanitiser and use it for just that as above.

Edited by enfieldspares

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2020 at 14:34, Lloyd90 said:

I normally tip £40 for the first hundred and £20 for each 100 after that. 

Shot a beaters day otherer year (they mainly the only driven days i do on game), after not missing a day brush'n on that shoot all season. At end of day i was asked for £30.00  for the beaters that day. Most of who i new and had been brushing with all season. They just not bothered about shooting game or rather work there dogs. I always thought beaters/cock days were traditionally a thank you for the hard work we put in? Felt a bit strange. Another fella thought so to. Anyone else get asked or do this?         NB